Step down transformer

Make it loud here.
Jez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Step down transformer

Post by Jez » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:45 am

Hiya...

How's using the step down transformer working for you Zhivago? Is it a pain - big and bulky etc, or do you not really notice it?

Is anyone else using US amps in Europe with step-downs?

Jez
anyone can play guitar

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Step down transformer

Post by mjet » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:49 am

I have a transformer waiting (I'm in Prague) for a SF Champ that is in my (US) friend's garage. So give me a few months and I'll be able to report back!
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:41 am

hey Jez,

haven't bought mine yet...still waiting for my custom cab to be delivered, and I also need to get speakers for my tremolux

I will be buying a step down transformer soon though.

I'm pretty sure Mezcalhead uses a step down with his amps...I'm sure he'll chime in in a bit :)
Resident Spartan.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:45 pm

Yeah, I've got a step-down transformer I use mainly with my blackface Vibrolux (the silverface is UK voltage). It isn't bulky, it fits neatly into the back of that amp and doesn't really add much to the weight of it. I don't gig out at the moment but I doubt it would be any trouble.

I also use it with an old Princeton, it only just fits into the back of that but it does make the amp noticeably heavier .. although they are very light amps to start with (when I first got it, I picked up the shipping carton and thought that I'd been ripped off because the carton felt empty).

I don't have a picture of the transfomer .. but I bought it off these guys. It's one of the 500W ones IIRC. It has two outputs if I ever feel the need to run a US amp with another one, or my old Fender reverb unit.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Jez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jez » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:13 pm

Cool... Didn't realise you could get nice bijou ones... That's a really nice option for getting overseas amps.

Is it necessary to get the 500va version? I may have misread, but it seems to me you could get away with the 50va one for a 40watt fender... or am I missing something?

Jez
anyone can play guitar

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:34 pm

40W is the output, not the power draw, which is always higher (unless your amp is 100% efficient .. which is impossible). If you look on the back of the amp, it will say what the draw is. IIRC without checking my Vibrolux says 135W RMS, and it is a 35W amp. This is why you sometimes see things like tiny little Princetons advertised on ebay as being 80W amps, because someone has just looked at the label on the back.

So why not just get a 140VA transformer for a 135W amp? .. well, I don't know all the details, but I do know that 135W isn't a ceiling, more an average. The amp may draw more if you're pushing it. I figure double the power is a safe margin .. plus the transformer has two outputs .. and the 500W wasn't that much more expensive than the lighter powered ones anyway.

Angel221
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Angel221 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:08 am

Here is the formula for figuring out your wattage needs. I use a 500 watter to run 2 amps. So far no problems running a twin and a super reverb at the same time. American amps on euro power. Hope this helps.

Q: How can I figure how many watts voltage transformer do I need?
A: First of all, find out how many watts do the appliances  take. You can find this information usually on the label located on the back or bottom of the appliance or in the specification page of instruction book of an appliance. If only amperage (AMP) is shown multiply the input voltage (i.e. 110 or 220v) by AMPS to find the watts.
VOLTS x AMPS = WATTS
for example, 110 V x 0.5 AMPS = 55 W
Please make sure not to operate any appliance with higher wattage than the wattage rating of voltage transformer. Heavy duty transformers can be used continuously at 75% to 80% of their wattage capacity
Life on a Cool Curve

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:38 am

my stepdown just arrived!

it doesn't feel that heavy to be honest...I thought it would be waaaay heavier.

it's the same as Mezcal's

now all I need to do is get my cousin to wire up the speakers on my tremolux, and I'll be able to fire it up for the first time since buying it months ago!

:)

I'm a very patient man, sometimes!!!

:D
Resident Spartan.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:51 am

Nearly there!

:)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:27 am

hehe...yes, almost there..I am getting kinda excited now..I hope my cousin can do the wiring. :)

he wires up speakers for car systems all the time...I showed him the amp and he said it was easy.

I'll need to buy a jack and cable for it...anyone know where I can buy it from?
Resident Spartan.