what are your Super Reverb settings

Make it loud here.
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

what are your Super Reverb settings

Post by pullover » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:47 pm

Just curious as to how many other Offsetters have Super Reverbs, and what your settings are with your Jazzmasters or Jags.  I have a 76 silverface with the Master Volume, I haven't had a chance to play through it at proper volume with my band at practice, and I never used it at a show. Everytime I get it to a volume where it starts breaking up, they tell me to turn it down (at rehearsal). So basically I want to know what you set your super on so I can use that as a starting point.

Right now I set my up like this since I haven't had a chance to really get into it,
Normal                    I    Vibrato
Volume Treble Bass  I Volume Treble Middle Bass Reverb Speed Intensity
  6            6      6  I    4          6          6      6      2          6          9       
and the master volume is set on like 2 or something.

I love the fact that the amp says 666, 4 666 2 69 but I would rather it sound good, than an indistint homage to the devil and mouth organs.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Re: what are your Super Reverb settings

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:11 pm

pullover wrote: Just curious as to how many other Offsetters have Super Reverbs, and what your settings are with your Jazzmasters or Jags.  I have a 76 silverface with the Master Volume, I haven't had a chance to play through it at proper volume with my band at practice, and I never used it at a show. Everytime I get it to a volume where it starts breaking up, they tell me to turn it down (at rehearsal). So basically I want to know what you set your super on so I can use that as a starting point.

Right now I set my up like this since I haven't had a chance to really get into it,
Normal                    I    Vibrato
Volume Treble Bass  I Volume Treble Middle Bass Reverb Speed Intensity
  6            6      6  I    4          6          6      6      2          6          9       
and the master volume is set on like 2 or something.

I love the fact that the amp says 666, 4 666 2 69 but I would rather it sound good, than an indistint homage to the devil and mouth organs.
I've got a silverface mastervolume Twin Reverb (exactly the same as super reverb but 2 speakers instead of 4?) and my settings with my Jazzmaster or Telecaster are: treble 2 or 3, middle 8, bass 4 to 6. But it's still damn bright, which is why I'm thinking about selling it. Do you know if I could actually solve the problem by replacing the tubes and maybe the speakers?

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:23 am

I don't know, I think these amps are just really bright. Perfect for lead guitar, but it seams too bright for much else. When I use the Normal side its a bit warmer, so there's got to be something you could do. The only way to get bass out of this amp is to crank it up loud, it's thin and puny at low volumes. It does cut through the mix rather well though. I think speakers would definitely be the first thing to replace for warmth, as tubes mostly change where the amp breaks up at (higher or lower volume). I could be wrong on that though, since breaking up at lower volumes might be beneficial to the bass range. I would think that changing out some of the input capacitors would be the most beneficial and cost effective, and while your at it recapping the capacitors that need it.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:09 am

pullover wrote: I don't know, I think these amps are just really bright. Perfect for lead guitar, but it seams too bright for much else. When I use the Normal side its a bit warmer, so there's got to be something you could do. The only way to get bass out of this amp is to crank it up loud, it's thin and puny at low volumes. It does cut through the mix rather well though. I think speakers would definitely be the first thing to replace for warmth, as tubes mostly change where the amp breaks up at (higher or lower volume). I could be wrong on that though, since breaking up at lower volumes might be beneficial to the bass range. I would think that changing out some of the input capacitors would be the most beneficial and cost effective, and while your at it recapping the capacitors that need it.
thanks for your help, the problem is that I'm not sure if I should spend more money on getting it to sound good or just selling it and buying something that I like more to begin with. I'll just have to visit some shops and decide.

thevial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thevial » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:48 am

i like to crank my treble up, every time i used a super reverb it was... 8 treble, 6 mids, 7 bass. reverb/trem to taste.

i sometimes even go so far as to dime the treble. this seems to only sound good to me.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:09 am

The more treble take seams to be more common than I thought. Here is a neat little article on how to get that "classic fender tone out of any fender amp" from singlecoil.com, Im going to try it tonight.

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf

it also said to change out the preamp 12ax7 with a 12ay7 for a warmer fuller tone, which might help you out Sauerkraut.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:20 am

pullover wrote: The more treble take seams to be more common than I thought. Here is a neat little article on how to get that "classic fender tone out of any fender amp" from singlecoil.com, Im going to try it tonight.

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf

it also said to change out the preamp 12ax7 with a 12ay7 for a warmer fuller tone, which might help you out Sauerkraut.
nice.. I'll remember that!

You know I'd really hate selling it, even if it's too bright. I like how it's one of the most unwanted Twins around, it would be great if I could turn it into a killer amp.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:34 pm

Well I used it last night at a show using the Singlecoil 6623 Settings and it sounded great. I got a complement on my setup after the show, so I guess someone in the crowd thought it sounded good too. The other guitarist in my band uses a strat or a tele through a Deluxe, and I usually have a hard time differentiating our sound, but last night the Super cut through like butter. It was nice being able to hear both guitars. Volume and Space definitely help bring this amp out of its shell, so to speak.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:47 pm

The cool thing about fender amps with the mid pot (Super Rever, Bandmaster Reverb, etc.) is you can set the treble and bass on almost zero, the mid on one, and crank the volume to ten - it's almost like having a master volume.  Not the most spectacular tone ever, but a way to get a lot more oomph at lower volumes.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.