As far as cheap practice amps go...

Make it loud here.
chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: As far as cheap practice amps go...

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:12 am

I've got a little '74 SF champ and it's unbelievable (especially since I paid £50 for it). Unfortunately the speaker's died on me, but it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:32 am

chrisjedijane wrote: I've got a little '74 SF champ and it's unbelievable (especially since I paid £50 for it). Unfortunately the speaker's died on me, but it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.
I blew the speaker in mine as well and replaced it with a Weber.  It sounds great and I highly recommend it.

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:13 pm

I have a old 60's ampeg jet which I found for pretty cheap, its small, but actually pretty loud, so maybe it wouldnt work. They are worth trying to find though, maybe some are on ebay?

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:51 am

dinosaur wrote: I blew the speaker in mine as well and replaced it with a Weber.  It sounds great and I highly recommend it.
I think I'll check those out, actually. Was it expensive?
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:34 am

chrisjedijane wrote:
dinosaur wrote: I blew the speaker in mine as well and replaced it with a Weber.  It sounds great and I highly recommend it.
I think I'll check those out, actually. Was it expensive?
He has quite a range of 4ohm 8" speakers.  I bought mine about 6 years ago and the model numbers are different now.  It was about 70 dollars and was one of the vintage alnico.  But, I have heard Champs with his Signature series speakers, both ceramic and alnico models, and they sound absoultely fantastic.  I think they are only 30 bucks or so.  He may also be able to fix your old speaker, depending on what happened.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:28 pm

i run a Vox Tonelab through a mixer and KRK monitors...i used to play through a small champ, but even that could be too loud late at night and I usually play through an AC-30, so now I can get that sound and control the volume or use headphones if I have to.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:28 pm

+1 on the Laney LC15R I used one for a few years and it has a nice sound indeed. I had an early one with the crappy HH speaker so I put a Jensen P10R in it which sounded thin at first but got better after a few hours of playing. Laney reacted to customer comments and the newer ones have a quite decent Celestion onboard.

The Epi Valve Jr are alot of fun too although the drive is somewhat less controllable at livingroom volume. However at a similar price I'd get this instead of the Valvetronix and try some better tubes (maybe a JJ EL84 and a 5751 for a brighter sound with more headroom). I love Champs too and there are much more vintage lower wattage amps around like late '50s GA-8 Gibsonettes, Valco/Gretsch/Supro, ... Bringing these back to life and maybe slightly mod them to suit your taste can be alot of fun.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:25 pm

dinosaur wrote: He has quite a range of 4ohm 8" speakers.  I bought mine about 6 years ago and the model numbers are different now.  It was about 70 dollars and was one of the vintage alnico.  But, I have heard Champs with his Signature series speakers, both ceramic and alnico models, and they sound absoultely fantastic.  I think they are only 30 bucks or so.  He may also be able to fix your old speaker, depending on what happened.
The Weber Sig 8 alnico I've got in my Champ was $40-$45 a couple months ago, can't remember exactly.  I think the ceramic models are a little cheaper.  It's a beautiful speaker.
Last edited by flatfiver on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Jez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jez » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:33 am

Vinkie wrote: +1 on the Laney LC15R I used one for a few years and it has a nice sound indeed. I had an early one with the crappy HH speaker so I put a Jensen P10R in it which sounded thin at first but got better after a few hours of playing. Laney reacted to customer comments and the newer ones have a quite decent Celestion onboard.
Mine had the HH speaker too... Not nice. However, I had two to use in stereo, and also two 2x12 cabs with G12H30 Rola Celestions in. I gigged that whole setup a couple of times and it was a very nice setup.
anyone can play guitar