What type of amp is recommended for a Bass VI?

Make it loud here.
Mute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What type of amp is recommended for a Bass VI?

Post by Mute » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:49 am

Kawentzmann wrote:
mewithoutus wrote: i find the vox's frequency response to be amazing, and the low end i get out of this thing is stunning. im actually quite surprised how much low end i can get out of the ac30.

its got a great sound, the overdrive is amazing, its loud as all hell, and highly interactive to your playing (dynamic).

and it looks classy as hell. i mean, show me a more handsome amp. i dare you.
I can SORT OF second this. I have a Jerry Jones 3-pick-up 6-string bass and always end up using a Vox AC 30 simulation when recording dry. Compared to this combination all other simus lack something. It’s perfectly complex. But my VI is not a Fender, nor is the Vox a real amp, so take it with a grain of salt.
I play my Jag baritone (strung E to E) through my AC30. If there's anything missing in my sound I'd say it's because I'm not playing a "real" Bass VI (with the 30" scale).
I've played the same instrument through an Ampeg stack once though - now THAT kicks some serious arse if you want to use it more like a regular bass - but if you, like me, play the VI like a guitar I'd personally recommend using an AC30 or similar. But then again, most decent guitar amps (read: most amps with decent bass response) could probably be used for this.

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What type of amp is recommended for a Bass VI?

Post by DB » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:30 am

Expanding on what I said earlier and to add to other comments here, bass amps are best for the VI if you're using it in a bass role.  To my ears, bass amps and speakers can be a bit too "tight" for the VI if you're doing guitar like things with it.  I like the response and break up you can get from a guitar amp.  You can't expect the heavy thump of a traditional bass when using the VI through a guitar rig, but it is a really cool and unique sound.

DB
Last edited by DB on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IV, V, VI, XII...