Cabs and Speakers questions: Vox V212BN or 70s Hiwatt with Rola? Input needed.

Make it loud here.
k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cabs and Speakers questions: Vox V212BN or 70s Hiwatt with Rola? Input neede

Post by k o y l » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:04 am

Ok now I'm sure of it: I'm cursed !  :(
I ordered lots of guitar cables with the cab.. and you know what ? They sent them separately from the cab and today, I only received the cables !!  :'(
The cab is still in Manchester.  >:(
I'll have to wait til monday to ask UPS to search for it: the expected delivery date is today and as long as we're still today, the package is not considered lost...
What bad things did I do to English amplification Gods in my previous lives ???  :-[
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Cabs and Speakers questions: Vox V212BN or 70s Hiwatt with Rola? Input neede

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:50 am

It appears UPS isn't much better in Europe then it is here.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:01 am

It's the first time they do me something like this..

The seller at the store phone them, he was answered the cab left Manchester on Wednesday.. which is not a good news because it probably means it's lost.  :(
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:58 pm

In the best of times deliveries can be delayed - around Christmastime it's even more likely. I wouldn't worry - just a delay due to systems overload. Things that I usually receive from the UK in 3-4 days have taken 8 or 9 in the last few weeks.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:00 pm

I don't worry that much mainly because I bought it from a well known store so if worst comes to worst , they'll send another one...
What I find odd is they shipped both packages at the same time and I received only one..  ::)

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:24 am

Look a this: They are sending it back now !  :o  (and Why the hell did they shipped it to Tamworth ??? )

MANCHESTER, GB 12/22/2007 1:21 A.M. IN TRANSIT TO

TAMWORTH, GB 12/22/2007 1:20 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

TAMWORTH, GB 12/21/2007 11:13 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

BARKING, GB 12/21/2007 8:39 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/21/2007 7:20 P.M. EXPORT SCAN
12/21/2007 7:19 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

MANCHESTER, GB 12/19/2007 5:51 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

GB 12/19/2007 11:32 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:41 am

Tamworth is probably some kind of processing center. And maybe there was some problem with the address that they wrote, and UPS is returning it. Hard to know exactly what is going on.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:24 am

It's here !

It's big and beautiful, well finished... I'll have me a little cup of coffe and plug the tiny beast in and LET'S RAAAAWK !!!!  8) 8) 8)
(Yeah, I'm excited... and I just can't hide it..  :D )

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cabs and Speakers questions: Vox V212BN or 70s Hiwatt with Rola? Input needed.

Post by the older brother » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:54 am

Soo?...  ???

How is it?!
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Oh man, it's amazing !  :?
I played almost 3 hours (without noticing I played that long), testing every guitars and pedals I have.. I'm very very happy with this combination.

Until now, I was playing on a Vox tonelab plugged in my laptop which is plug on a home stereo. I had a pretty good sound with this setup but now, what a change !
Everything is "more": more details, more dynamic, more pick response, way more volume ( :o.. I think I'll have to buy a weber attenuator/dummy load to be able to still plug in the laptop... otherwise, I'll have to really push what's coming out of the laptop.. and the neighbours won't be too happy..  :( ).

It seems this amp is meant to be played with Jazzmasters.. The Novak Jm-V sounds amazing and the Jm-90 is more usable in clean setting than with the tonelab: I can have a real pristine clean sound when I put the guitar volume on 7. And the middle position sounds like a dream.  :-*
The Phat Cats are a little more dull than the Novak pups.

And the pedals... I think I already told about what some guys from a french forum told me..? that the Tiny Terror is not pedal friendly, that pedal sound totally suck on it... well... they are just morons. or deaf.. or they have shitty pedals..  ::)
The Okko Diablo sounds just as expected: transparent enough to sound like the TT but with enough setting options to adjust everything to taste  , I now use far less treble andwill have to lower the presence setting: the TT has plenty of it yet and I use more mids/bass with it.
The SHO boost the volume too much so I'll use it only to boost the gain of the Diablo.
The Fuzz Factory sounds really like a fuzz, I mean like the fuzz sound you hear on Kinski records... but I like it like that.

That's lot of rather confused impressions.. but the bottom line is I don't regret any of the two: it's the perfect combination. The sound is great... and it looks great too : The brown+Gold of the Vox with the White+Orange of the TT and the OTM of the Jazzmaster is a rather tasty sight..  8)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:43 am

this is fantastic news!

glad you're loving your new setup!  8)
Resident Spartan.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Thanks !  :)
The TT was quite a gamble: never tried one before, I only heard lots of soundclips and read a lot about it... The Vox cab has been a little more rational choice but you can never know what to expect.. so I guess I'm lucky this time.  :)
The more I play it the happier I am.. I'm rediscovering every other piece of gear I have, from guitars to pedals... It's amazing, really..

It's kind of funny to think 1 year and a half ago I bought a Line6 PodXT while telling me that if this thing can give every sound possible, I should be able to find MY sound but never been able to really find it (I learn a lot about how the different kind of amps sound like and it helped me to know my tastes better though..).. and know that I bought this amp with one channel and 3 knobs, not even an EQ, I could not be happier with my sound.  ::)
"Less is more" I guess.. 

I'm just a little frustated to not be able to sample it in the computer. Every of my tracks involves self-sampling so I can't play them with the TT right now.. but I should receive the H&K Redbox direct box I ordered soon. I hope the sound will be satisfying with it.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:02 am

indeed, one great sound doesn't require many knobs...I like simplicity as well :)
Resident Spartan.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Hehe yeah.. but surprisingly the single tone control of the TT is more efficient than the 4 band EQ of every Marshall I tried !  8)

sunburst80
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cabs and Speakers questions: Vox V212BN or 70s Hiwatt with Rola? Input needed.

Post by sunburst80 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:00 am

Hi Koyl!
I also got the TT with the matching 1x12 orange cab. The cab is made in china and the build quality (tolex, front, orange logo) kinda sucks, but it sounds great and i only paid 220 Euro, so i can live with that. I consider getting a greenback for it since i prefer its sound, i generally love the sound of the vintage orange 4x12s and they came with both G12H or G12M depending on the year.
The TT is a great amp with single coils, with humbuckers it tends to get fizzy quickly, lower gained preamp tubes can help that but they have other sonic disadvantages. Im still trying to find the best tubes for both singlecoils/p90 and humbuckers.
Keeping the gain between 12 and 1  and master above 12 (the higher the better) and the jazzmaster REALLY comes to life as i heard on many many records but could never acheive with modellers or preamp-distortion oriented tube amps before.  Strangely modellers and pre-amp gain tube amps work better on humbucker guitars. The JM absolutely needs poweramp tube goodness, without that its actually very average sounding.