Re: Help me spend my money... More speaker suggestions

Make it loud here.
Jez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Help me spend my money... More speaker suggestions

Post by Jez » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:12 am

Hiya...

I've managed to save £170ish quid, plus I'm selling a delay pedal which should bring in some more.  I want to upgrade the Celestion 70/80 in my Laney LC30... It's actually a bloddy good speaker, but it's got that Marshall/Celestion fat low mids thing going on that I really dislike.

I'm thinking of a Weber Blue Dog, but they only do them as 50 watts, not 30. Does it matter? When I had a 15 watt amp with a 15 watt Celestion Blue, the sound of the amp overloading the speaker was phenomenal.

I also want to get that Celestion Blue sparkle. Can you get that with the ceramic speakers as well as the alnico? What difference does it make?

Opinions please!  :)
anyone can play guitar

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 am

The wattage isn't going to matter much really but I think you'll definitely want an alnico version if that's really the sound your after.  I have a ceramic Blue Dog at one point and it wasn't even close to the same sound as the Blue in a an AC30 re-issue I owned.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:27 am

what delay pedal are you selling? :)
Resident Spartan.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:40 am

Weber does the Blue Dog in 15, 30 and 50 watts.  Folks say the 30 captures the Vox Blue vibe best.  I have a 30 watter alnico in my 15 watt Matchless Lightning clone and it's just right.  I think the ceramic gives you a bit more punch and headroom at higher volumes.

I have never been disappointed with a Weber speaker - I've bought half a dozen of various types.  The signature series are great too, and you can't beat the price. Sig 12B is british-coned and only $45.  I have a Sig 12s ceramic in my Princeton Reverb and it's great.

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

Jez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jez » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:25 pm

zhivago wrote: what delay pedal are you selling? :)
Bless you!  :)

It's a Pearl AD-08 and it's rather nice!
anyone can play guitar

Jez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jez » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:30 pm

jetset wrote: Weber does the Blue Dog in 15, 30 and 50 watts.  Folks say the 30 captures the Vox Blue vibe best.  I have a 30 watter alnico in my 15 watt Matchless Lightning clone and it's just right.  I think the ceramic gives you a bit more punch and headroom at higher volumes.

I have never been disappointed with a Weber speaker - I've bought half a dozen of various types.  The signature series are great too, and you can't beat the price. Sig 12B is british-coned and only $45.  I have a Sig 12s ceramic in my Princeton Reverb and it's great.

-J
Hey, thanks for the info. The website only has the 15 and 50 watt options, but I guess I'll email him and see what he says. I probably will go for the Alnico. I'm interested in the ceramic only cos the alnico's weigh more... There's the Celestion Alnico Gold as well, which I may have more of a look at, however, it's a 50 watt again, and sooo expensive. I don't actually play very loud, and I'm going to start micing the amp soon too, so there's no point getting more power than I need.
anyone can play guitar

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:36 pm

One thing to consider is that the Blue Bell/Blue Dog's have very high sensitivity.  In other words, they'll produce more volume then most other speakers of similar size/power handling.  The Blue's in my AC30 were the loudest speakers I've ever used.  2 of them in an open back cab were MUCH louder then a vitnage Marshall 4x12 w/25 watters. Also, for informational purposes, the sensitivity is usually listed as a decibal rating.  For example a speaker with a rating of 99db will produce 99db of volume with one watt of power to it.

Jez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jez » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:30 pm

Yeah, I noticed this in my last amp. It came with a  25 watt greenback. When I swopped it out for the Alnico Blue the difference was huge.
anyone can play guitar