Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Sat May 15, 2021 2:51 am

Hey everyone,

I've had a bit of a problem with my Klon's footswitch for a while now, and I am finally annoyed enough to do something about it! :D

Ok, here's what happens...the pedal works perfectly when on or off (buffer a-ok)...but...if I step on the footswitch to switch on the pedal and keep my foot on the switch applying normal weight (not standing on it or anything), the signal completely cuts out until I take my foot off the switch.

Once I take my foot off, or just relieve some of the weight the "on" signal comes back as usual

Weird or what? I had a look inside, and the Klon uses an odd footswitch like the one below (this is not a current image, but I can snap a fresh photo if needed):

Image

Should I just change the footswitch and call it a day? Where can I find a switch like that?

Usual Disclaimer:
I realise this is a now super-expensive collectible pedal, but to me it's been my main overdrive and most used pedal for years and years, so I don't care much about keeping it "all-original"...I just want it to work and sound like it always has :freako: Also, I am in the UK, so posting it back to Bill isn't really an option, especially for something that appears to be pretty simple to solve.

Thanks! :)
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5040
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat May 15, 2021 3:03 am

Yeah, replace the switch. It’s a simple Carling 316PP DPDT footswitch, very common in North America.

I doubt it would impact the value of the pedal in any way, but you could always save the original in a little bag in case you ever sell.

I wonder if Bill Finnegan would even send *you* a replacement?

User avatar
Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by Trout » Sat May 15, 2021 4:37 am

Happy to know someone actually uses theirs 👍🏻
#sitdownrock found at https://soundcloud.com/oldguywithaview

User avatar
sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:33 am

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by sessylU » Sat May 15, 2021 8:38 am

Sell it as a special edition, with a hidden "stutter/mute" feature.

You'll tap that market of blooz-lawyer/Graham Coxon fans.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Sat May 15, 2021 12:52 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:03 am
Yeah, replace the switch. It’s a simple Carling 316PP DPDT footswitch, very common in North America.

I doubt it would impact the value of the pedal in any way, but you could always save the original in a little bag in case you ever sell.

I wonder if Bill Finnegan would even send *you* a replacement?
Thanks Brad! I will swap it out...I love the damn thing so much...it's been knocked about a bit, but it is still kicking. 8)
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Sat May 15, 2021 12:52 pm

sessylU wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:38 am
Sell it as a special edition, with a hidden "stutter/mute" feature.

You'll tap that market of blooz-lawyer/Graham Coxon fans.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Sat May 15, 2021 12:55 pm

Trout wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:37 am
Happy to know someone actually uses theirs 👍🏻
Totally! :)

I've had two in my life...the first one I used to gig tons back in the late 2000s or so...once, I forgot my pedal bag at one of the venues we played.

I didn't realise it wasn't at the rehearsal space until a few days later. Little did the bar staff that thankfully set my bag aside know about the contents of the bag. Klon's at that point were about £350 or so used. :D
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Footswitch ordered from Allparts!

Will post a final update once I get it back up and running! 8)
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Tue May 18, 2021 4:46 am

UPDATE!

The replacement switch arrived, and we've hit a snag...it is not exactly the same last the Klon one: :fp:

Image

The problem is the cables coming from the Klon's board are cut to the exact lengths needed to reach the slugs, so this is turning into a surgery job. :unsure:

I guess I need to take it to a tech to do this for me properly...not sure I have the guts to change the leads attached to the board. :(
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 23339
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 am

Or get this switch with the lugs in the right place :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 am
Or get this switch with the lugs in the right place :)
Thanks Mark! I will check it out...bummer about the one I got from Allparts though...cost just over £20! :fp:
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2422
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 am
Location: UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 pm

i did think that the carling switches are very expensive, but when i remember what pedal it's going in ;D
Last edited by MechaBulletBill on Wed May 19, 2021 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Tue May 18, 2021 10:50 pm

:D

...and things in my Klon Saga get sillier...last night I had another look at the footswitch...as I touched it with my finger the switch suddenly felt wobbly. ???

I noticed that the ring that tightens to hold the switch in place was really loose causing the footswitch to move around...this is really weird as it didn't feel loose earlier...I tightened it and the problem, at least for now, has gone away. How weird. A combination of gremlins and egg on my face??!!!! :wtf: :fp:
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 5626
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm

zhivago wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:50 pm
:D

...and things in my Klon Saga get sillier...last night I had another look at the footswitch...as I touched it with my finger the switch suddenly felt wobbly. ???

I noticed that the ring that tightens to hold the switch in place was really loose causing the footswitch to move around...this is really weird as it didn't feel loose earlier...I tightened it and the problem, at least for now, has gone away. How weird. A combination of gremlins and egg on my face??!!!! :wtf: :fp:
Ha! I was wondering if it was some sort of grounding issue when I first read this, but thought it could also be an internal failure. Glad it’s solved.

I have a Lovetone and one of the 3 switches on that has something wrong with it. It’s not latching. Another rare pedal and the switches are weird Carlings too.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21058
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Klon Centaur footswitch problem....

Post by zhivago » Wed May 19, 2021 1:29 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm
zhivago wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:50 pm
:D

...and things in my Klon Saga get sillier...last night I had another look at the footswitch...as I touched it with my finger the switch suddenly felt wobbly. ???

I noticed that the ring that tightens to hold the switch in place was really loose causing the footswitch to move around...this is really weird as it didn't feel loose earlier...I tightened it and the problem, at least for now, has gone away. How weird. A combination of gremlins and egg on my face??!!!! :wtf: :fp:
Ha! I was wondering if it was some sort of grounding issue when I first read this, but thought it could also be an internal failure. Glad it’s solved.

I have a Lovetone and one of the 3 switches on that has something wrong with it. It’s not latching. Another rare pedal and the switches are weird Carlings too.

I played with it for an hour or so today and it was 99.9% a-ok...there was a moment where I switched it on, the sound changed but the LED didn't come on...I switched it off and then on and it went back to normal again, LED nice and bright...it is weird...the initial cutting out problem is gone, which is great....I will keep an eye on it.

I guess like your Lovetone as these early boutique pedals age the switches will eventually start going. At least they are fairly easy to replace, I guess...unless (like me), you get the wrong one!! :D
Resident Spartan.

Post Reply