What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Everyone needs a stompbox.

What are your ‘desert island’ effects (can select TWO)

Boost
1
1%
Overdrive
10
8%
Distortion
14
11%
Fuzz
19
16%
Pitch shifting (incl. octave)
1
1%
Flanger
1
1%
Chorus
2
2%
Phaser
2
2%
Vibe
1
1%
Leslie simulator
0
No votes
Tremolo
9
7%
Wah
0
No votes
Envelope filter (really? Are you Frank Zappa?)
1
1%
Reverb
18
15%
Delay
36
30%
Looper
5
4%
Equalizer
0
No votes
Compression
2
2%
Some obscure shit… let me tell you about it
0
No votes
None (It’s all in the fingers dude)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 122

User avatar
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 11747
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington
Contact:

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by HNB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:06 pm

Tuner! :)
@}--Christopher--{@
Lilith Guitars

User avatar
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 pm
Location: Sydney, Straya

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by JVG » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:43 am

Haha….never considered a Tuner to be an effect, but i guess it has the effect of putting your guitar in tune!

….

Apparently i’m the only person who needs a phaser!

Phaser into overdrive is heaven for me :)
(Yeah i love 60s and 70s music)

User avatar
JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 1:36 pm
Location: Birmingham, UK

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by JamesSGBrown » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:18 am

You can do a hell of a lot with a RAT and alternate tunings... just ask Thurston!

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10121
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:35 am

JVG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:43 am
Apparently i’m the only person who needs a phaser!

Phaser into overdrive is heaven for me :)
(Yeah i love 60s and 70s music)
Phaser would be my 4th pedal after delay, tremolo, and boost. Do you run your phaser before or after gain? I've found that phaser before/into gain does almost a wah-like thing when both are on.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 am
Location: U.S. of fuckin' A.

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:43 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:35 am
JVG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:43 am
Apparently i’m the only person who needs a phaser!

Phaser into overdrive is heaven for me :)
(Yeah i love 60s and 70s music)
Phaser would be my 4th pedal after delay, tremolo, and boost. Do you run your phaser before or after gain? I've found that phaser before/into gain does almost a wah-like thing when both are on.
I have very few effects now, but I love my Farm Pedals Fly Agaric - it's a dual phaser. Other than reverb and delay, it's my favorite.

User avatar
redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1629
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 am
Location: AVLNC

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:45 am

At the very heart of any rig I use is a good fake tape delay (El Cap or Belle Epoch) and a misused distortion/big overdrive pedal (the daydreamdelay Rat or SS.BS Mini, run loud with low gain like a dirty boost). Everything else is just for fun.

User avatar
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 11747
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington
Contact:

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by HNB » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:48 am

JVG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:43 am
Haha….never considered a Tuner to be an effect, but i guess it has the effect of putting your guitar in tune!

….

Apparently i’m the only person who needs a phaser!

Phaser into overdrive is heaven for me :)
(Yeah i love 60s and 70s music)
I figure it is a pedal and I would toss my guitar into the ocean if I couldn’t get it tuned right. It would just sound wrong and piss me off. I don’t have perfect pitch so I would really need that pedal. That and a distortion pedal would keep me happy if my amp had built in spring reverb.
@}--Christopher--{@
Lilith Guitars

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 11467
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:51 am

Hi, I'm Frank Zappa.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10121
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:00 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:43 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:35 am
JVG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:43 am
Apparently i’m the only person who needs a phaser!

Phaser into overdrive is heaven for me :)
(Yeah i love 60s and 70s music)
Phaser would be my 4th pedal after delay, tremolo, and boost. Do you run your phaser before or after gain? I've found that phaser before/into gain does almost a wah-like thing when both are on.
I have very few effects now, but I love my Farm Pedals Fly Agaric - it's a dual phaser. Other than reverb and delay, it's my favorite.
That phaser sounds incredible!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2596
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by jorri » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:44 pm

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:18 am
You can do a hell of a lot with a RAT and alternate tunings... just ask Thurston!
So 30 thrift store guitars it is then!
And a drumstick for 3rd bridge business - hopefully the island has trees.

User avatar
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1991
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 am
Location: middle of somewhere

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by soggy mittens » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:28 am

BOSS DD 200 delay + BOSS OD 200 drive (voted for distortion)

Image

Originally considered a turbo rat but then I thought options might be nice, tho a) I've never tried an OD 200 and b) more is sometimes less.. it'd be a gamble but maybe a gamble that I could find multiple reasons to regret and what is better than multiple reasons of regret? :fp:
Last edited by soggy mittens on Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If OSG has tort me anything...

User avatar
Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 am
Location: Omaha
Contact:

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by Tafarel » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 am

If I'd been able to do so, I would've voted reverb twice. As it is, I have four on my board atm, and they all do very different things.

If only two of them, however, it would have to be the eventide Black Hole, and the Pladask Elektrish Draume -- reverb from a time and place that never existed.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

User avatar
SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: What are your ‘desert island’ guitar effects

Post by SadFuzz » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:29 am

I'd take a low-medium gain overdrive (DOD 250 or similar) and my MBM HM-2 clone just cos i love the overloaded sound of the HM-2 and stacking it with things for weird gain response is my obsession.
thebandnorjack.bandcamp.com

Post Reply