Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Setup of the day

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:48 pm

MrShake wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:10 pm

First time I've been able to fully test drive my new live amp setup, it's alarmingly loud. The Deluxe 112 Plus, in particular, with it's "zero-to-AAARRGH!" volume control. More than once I had to turn down to hear the cavewoman drummer slamming the big-ass toms a few feet from me. It was set to "2" all night, and we both felt it in our chests.

But it sounds great, and stacked-stereo reverb is lots of fun. Plus, I leave just a whiff of the Deluxe's spring reverb on all the time, whether I'm feeding it reverb from my board. Took a DIY fuzz off the board tonight, deciding to go back to Dual Rats, it's what my heart wants. And I've finally mastered using the Super Feedbacker in fuzzed-out heavy psych jams for haunt-y flavor.
I have one of those Super Feedback & Distortions too. I really like it! People say it is a DS-1 with the added feedback circuit but it sounds different to me. You can do some cool stuff with it.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:42 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:48 pm
I have one of those Super Feedback & Distortions too. I really like it! People say it is a DS-1 with the added feedback circuit but it sounds different to me. You can do some cool stuff with it.
Totally agree. It's still in the "orange Boss distortion" family, but has a cool kinda unique chunk to it that I like a lot. I admit, without the Feedbacker function it probably wouldn't have made my board, but it IS nice having that flavor of distortion available if I want it. And if you keep the distortion low and feed the "cleaned up" Feedbacker through your choice of drive pedals, it's even more versatile. Especially to drop in here and there in big Hawkwind-style heavy psych jams into delay and reverb.

I'm kind of surprised it isn't one of those more sought-after "weirdo Boss" pedals, but hey, to each their own.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:11 am

and
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:24 am

I got a smaller pedalboard that's easier to get around with on bike. With the powerbank strapped underneath, it's very practical. It also forces me to make some choices and keep things relatively simple. This my board for this band

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:11 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:24 am
I got a smaller pedalboard that's easier to get around with on bike. With the powerbank strapped underneath, it's very practical. It also forces me to make some choices and keep things relatively simple. This my board for this band

I would rock the hell out of that board!! How do you like the Rattler compared to the ProCo RAT? Admittedly, I've never played a "real" RAT, but I've currently got a Magnetic Effects Lonely Robor, which isn't doing it for me, ans considering going back to an Arc Effects Soothsayer, but I've kinda also thought about a Rattler...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:54 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:11 am
and
That looks amazing, but more importantly, I bet it sounds like armageddon.

And I love the CE-3, too, it's got some weird postpunk magic in it.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:57 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:24 am

Smallbox Rat into a Rattler, with that Polara on the end? Simple, versatile (along with those other goodies), and compact. "You can do everything you need with a reverb and a Rat", they say...

Beautiful stuff. I'd plug into that and play all night.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:12 am

Y'all inspire me.

Fuzz board starts with a DIY Bazz Fuzz descendent I tweaked a little, then goes into Shin-Ei FY-2. The fuzz board comes and goes, the one on the left is the "main" board. Sometimes I stick a DF-2 in front instead of the fuzz board. The blank box on the left board is a Superfuzz. I like the bare metal aesthetic.

I have some other boards set up for different functions, but the main board on the left is what I'd need to sound just like me. I've basically replicated it for my live/practice rig with some cheap alternatives, seen above. Add an offset and a loud, clean amp.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:50 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:11 am
I would rock the hell out of that board!! How do you like the Rattler compared to the ProCo RAT? Admittedly, I've never played a "real" RAT, but I've currently got a Magnetic Effects Lonely Robor, which isn't doing it for me, ans considering going back to an Arc Effects Soothsayer, but I've kinda also thought about a Rattler...
The Rattler only arrived yesterday, so I can't say yet. I need to spend some time with it in the practice room to really appreciate what it sounds like. I'll try and remember to let you know once I've had more time with it. I find Jam pedals a little overpriced generally, but they had 20% off the other week so I went for it. I'm hoping this will by my final 2nd Rat. I hate all the magical thinking around old Rats and I even considered selling it, but for whatever reason (resistors drifting out-of-spec?) that '86 Rat affects the EQ in a very pleasing way that none of the Rat clones I've tried so far quite matched. Some of the clones get super close (Reuss Swiss Army Knife in particular), but they all sounded a tad harsher somehow; thinner, less compressed. But I'm getting tired of my own nit-picking and hairsplitting with overdrive and distortion pedals, so fingers crossed that the Rattler is good and I can move on with my life. I need a better synth more than I need another distortion pedal.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:28 am

MrShake wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:54 am

That looks amazing, but more importantly, I bet it sounds like armageddon.

And I love the CE-3, too, it's got some weird postpunk magic in it.
ok. that CE3 has a great story behind it. my dad bought it brand new when it came out. when i was born he sold all his pedals EXCEPT that one because it was that period in the late 80's where everyone was getting sick of chorus. stuck it in the attic in a suitcase.

13 years later, he's devorced my mum and needs suitcases, he mentions there's an old suitcase in the attic. i open the case and there is the pedal, i call him up and say "yo, hobbit. there's an old boss pedal in here, do you want it?" his reply was "nah man, you'll get more use out of it"

17 years later and it's never left my board.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:58 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:50 am
I need a better synth more than I need another distortion pedal.
Man, I feel that. I mean, I'm good on synths for a long time, but I definitely don't need any more gain pedals. Although, I don't think I'm totally done yet. If I figure out my RAT situation, I think I'll be done.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Same rig today but two different guitars.. the '60 6119 and '65 Olympic White Jag. After having it for a couple years now, that little Princeton has become my favorite amp. I absolutely :-* that thing!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:30 pm

I kept my old Pedaltrain Nano/Ciocks setup after going bigger, so I decided to make an all-dirt board. Lots of fun stacking options here.

I hadn't pulled out my Les Paul for a while. It's a 1984 Studio Custom. Pretty much the perfect LP for me. More on the light and zingy side, and I prefer the understated look.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:47 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:30 pm

I kept my old Pedaltrain Nano/Ciocks setup after going bigger, so I decided to make an all-dirt board. Lots of fun stacking options here.

I hadn't pulled out my Les Paul for a while. It's a 1984 Studio Custom. Pretty much the perfect LP for me. More on the light and zingy side, and I prefer the understated look.
That LP looks great! I’ve never heard of a Studio Custom before. I used to have a ‘91 Studio with an ebony board and it was fantastic. I really regret having parted with it.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:56 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:47 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:30 pm

That LP looks great! I’ve never heard of a Studio Custom before. I used to have a ‘91 Studio with an ebony board and it was fantastic. I really regret having parted with it.
Thanks. It was sold to me as a “Studio Deluxe” back in the mid 90’s, but in the last few years I figured out the correct model name.

Yeah, I remember at the time everyone wanted a “real” Les Paul. Now everyone wants a light one.