What is the OSG Delay Flavor Family of Choice?

Everyone needs a stompbox.

What flavor of delay is your favorite?

Digital
16%
Analog
51%
Tape
29%
Steel Drum
No votes
Oil Can
1%
Other
3%

Total votes: 76

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What is the OSG Delay Flavor Family of Choice?

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:04 am

cpeck wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:26 am
cpeck wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 am
I have the Moog 104M and the minifooger version. Those are in use 90% of the time. I don’t mind using H9 or HX models here and there as well. Tape delay is on the “to buy” list, but mostly as outboard for recording.

Ruminating on this a bit this morning — I think I got burned out by delay pedals in the post-rock era. I cannot count how many times I saw bands end a set with one or two (or three!) guitarists twisting the time knob on their delay pedal while the rhythm section crescendoed. Not that it’s bad or anything; just felt completely played out and made me look elsewhere for spatial effects.
Oh absolutely. It became a total cheap trick that every band used constantly. FWIW I don't think nonmusicians are as sick of stuff like this because of the showmanship aspect, but I agree completely that when a band does it I roll my eyes hard.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:33 am

Yes to that.

By the time people started making delay pedals that facilitated runaway oscillation it was already a cliché

GuitarsnGravel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GuitarsnGravel » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:11 am

This is a tough call.
I would love to have a vintage tape machine that was reliable.
A great analog delay is a beautiful sound.
I chose 'other' because the new modeled delays are the future and sound amazing.
The Keeley Halo is my next delay purchase.

Keeley Halo

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:28 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:33 am
Yes to that.

By the time people started making delay pedals that facilitated runaway oscillation it was already a cliché
Highly accurate, and agree to all above :D

I somewhat remember that moment,
It was sometime around 2003 .
"I'm all metric and loving every inch of it"
-Orang Goreng

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:33 pm

rumfoord wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:33 am
side note: I have never loved chorus, but I've been using it a bit more. And I was surprised to find that I prefer digital to analog (surprised because of how much I love analog delay).
I never loved chorus until I played it in stereo. it's a totally different effect than it is in mono.
She/Her

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:29 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:33 pm
rumfoord wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:33 am
side note: I have never loved chorus, but I've been using it a bit more. And I was surprised to find that I prefer digital to analog (surprised because of how much I love analog delay).
I never loved chorus until I played it in stereo. it's a totally different effect than it is in mono.
Amen.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:44 pm

Old flavour!
Lately I have been using my Watkins Mk2 Copicat, which have such great valve/tube preamps. (Two x ECC83s, 1 x 6BR8)
A whole lot of fun then into an analog Ibanez AD100.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:11 pm

del wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:37 am
Tape delay is my favorite.
I do not own a tape delay.

I mostly use digital delays that emulate tape delay
This is me as well. I love how analog sounds, but years ago, I was on a quest to find my perfect delay, and I didn't really like how I sounded through all the analog stuff. Analog-voiced digital is where I live (Caroline Kilobyte being my all-time favorite delay that I could use if I only had one, but also my Catalinbread Echorec and my EQD Space Spiral). I've been tempted to pick up a Jam Pedals Delay Llama Mk. II for a hot second, but not sure if I will.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:19 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:28 am
I like two types of delay:
- crisp digital delay for trem picking soundscape stuff
- dark analogue for everything else
This is basically me as well.

My digital delay is a Strymon Dig, which I picked up recently and feel like it’s the digital delay I’ve been searching for.

Tomorrow I’ll have what I hope will be the perfect dark analog delay for me—a Meet Maude. Can’t wait to play around with it!

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:58 am

Analog. Wired 90s Deluxe Memory Man for me. Always. No matter what I try to replace it with. Except for the Nano DMM, which does the business pretty nicely. Just tried out the Boss RE-2 and it's a noble effort, but having had an RE-150 for a while (and stupidly selling it), I don't think there's an emulator out there that does what they do.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:18 am

echobaseone wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:58 am
Analog. Wired 90s Deluxe Memory Man for me. Always. No matter what I try to replace it with. Except for the Nano DMM, which does the business pretty nicely. Just tried out the Boss RE-2 and it's a noble effort, but having had an RE-150 for a while (and stupidly selling it), I don't think there's an emulator out there that does what they do.
Having just bought a UAFX Starlight (and owning several wired DMM's in the past) I'd say the emulation has been nailed all bar the self oscillation part.
Last edited by JSett on Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:43 pm

parry wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:35 am
I'm a digital (w/tap) + (dark) analog kind of guy.
I’m a digital tape emulator with tap and a dark analog type.

Vintage Space Echos are so cool, but I do like stressing about parts and maintenance.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:42 am

I voted "analog" because that is what I used almost exclusively for the majority of my playing career (and an old Ibanez AD-80 was my first "real" pedal). I think the old DMM and Ibanez family delays are near-perfect, albeit different flavors. The DMM just makes everything sound "better" in a cool way, and the Ibanez delays (ad80, UE405, etc.) do a great job of adding blurry depth to whatever you're doing, whether in time or not. The Ibanez AD9 and Delay Champ don't quite get there though. The Boss DM-2 (waza and original) have something else going on.

I also had the DL4 when it came out (so amazing to be able to get all the classic sounds... sort of) and DD-20 (ditto) and RE-20 (cool, but not quite). Digital delay seemed to be a compromise though, an "emulation" of stuff rather than embracing what it does well (or at least I wasn't clever enough to figure that out). I did have a surprise a few years ago when I got a Boss ME-5 that I *really* liked the gritty delay on there (incremental parameters aside), and the DD-2 is closer to an analog feel than the "clean" delays the followed.

Since then, I've been using digital delays exclusively for the last couple years. Slight change in sound/goals and now the only guitar player in the band, so there's a lot more space to play with, including using stereo delays and actually syncing them with the songs. (I always treated the Ibanez as set and forget). I was lucky enough to get the (huge) Korg SDD-3000 delay when they were still cheap (and they're getting more reasonable now after a pandemic price panic) and it does have some magic in there, albeit with a different flavor than a DMM. I got a DIG to (hopefully) kick the SDD off the board and it is great (the series setting for 12 bit + mod = really cool wash in stereo) but not there yet. I am annoyed by the "one saved preset" functionality though and that they didn't put secondary functions on the front of it.

I've also been exploring the delays on the H9 (time factor, ultra tap, countless other algorithms) and they can be really amazing, especially after spending time with them. They may not cover all that the SDD or Dig do, but can get a lot of the same feelings while also doing some really weird and bonkers stuff. It combines the chaos of an old Digitech PDS 20/20 (for example) + so much more.

I'm now relying (too much?) on stereo delays to fill up space and have some movement.

My life in delays. I've had most of the delays at one time or another (and sold on the vast majority of those). Currently still have:
Ibanez AD80 = perfectly dark and washy. UE405 = ditto
DMM = the sound I always wanted from the very start of playing guitar (e.g., Chameleons, which I later discovered was a Roland RE-501). I could (and have) used only this pedal.
DD-2 = whoa, this is cool than I thought. Maybe I was wrong about digital stuff?
SDD-3000 = whoa this is cool and powerful and it's amazing to have all sorts of stuff flying around in time. Presets are cool. The SDD part is lovely, the other stuff is more than decent. Cool delay, but not $800 (or whatever) cool. Huge. And Midi sucks on it.
DIG = washy and flexible. Lack of presets is a bummer. Not sure I'd want to commit to just this one.
H9 = The Timefactor stuff is really cool (and flexible), so many other options, too. It's taken a (long) while to move from being overwhelmed to starting to harness it. I could see this being able to do what I want things to do and also start to be more easily inspiring (there's a lot to learn in there).

Oh, and everyone needs to try chorus in stereo if you haven't. It's revelatory.

czech-one-2
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by czech-one-2 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:09 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:42 am
I voted "analog" because that is what I used almost exclusively for the majority of my playing career (and an old Ibanez AD-80 was my first "real" pedal). I think the old DMM and Ibanez family delays are near-perfect, albeit different flavors. The DMM just makes everything sound "better" in a cool way, and the Ibanez delays (ad80, UE405, etc.) do a great job of adding blurry depth to whatever you're doing, whether in time or not. The Ibanez AD9 and Delay Champ don't quite get there though. The Boss DM-2 (waza and original) have something else going on.

I also had the DL4 when it came out (so amazing to be able to get all the classic sounds... sort of) and DD-20 (ditto) and RE-20 (cool, but not quite). Digital delay seemed to be a compromise though, an "emulation" of stuff rather than embracing what it does well (or at least I wasn't clever enough to figure that out). I did have a surprise a few years ago when I got a Boss ME-5 that I *really* liked the gritty delay on there (incremental parameters aside), and the DD-2 is closer to an analog feel than the "clean" delays the followed.

Since then, I've been using digital delays exclusively for the last couple years. Slight change in sound/goals and now the only guitar player in the band, so there's a lot more space to play with, including using stereo delays and actually syncing them with the songs. (I always treated the Ibanez as set and forget). I was lucky enough to get the (huge) Korg SDD-3000 delay when they were still cheap (and they're getting more reasonable now after a pandemic price panic) and it does have some magic in there, albeit with a different flavor than a DMM. I got a DIG to (hopefully) kick the SDD off the board and it is great (the series setting for 12 bit + mod = really cool wash in stereo) but not there yet. I am annoyed by the "one saved preset" functionality though and that they didn't put secondary functions on the front of it.

I've also been exploring the delays on the H9 (time factor, ultra tap, countless other algorithms) and they can be really amazing, especially after spending time with them. They may not cover all that the SDD or Dig do, but can get a lot of the same feelings while also doing some really weird and bonkers stuff. It combines the chaos of an old Digitech PDS 20/20 (for example) + so much more.

I'm now relying (too much?) on stereo delays to fill up space and have some movement.

My life in delays. I've had most of the delays at one time or another (and sold on the vast majority of those). Currently still have:
Ibanez AD80 = perfectly dark and washy. UE405 = ditto
DMM = the sound I always wanted from the very start of playing guitar (e.g., Chameleons, which I later discovered was a Roland RE-501). I could (and have) used only this pedal.
DD-2 = whoa, this is cool than I thought. Maybe I was wrong about digital stuff?
SDD-3000 = whoa this is cool and powerful and it's amazing to have all sorts of stuff flying around in time. Presets are cool. The SDD part is lovely, the other stuff is more than decent. Cool delay, but not $800 (or whatever) cool. Huge. And Midi sucks on it.
DIG = washy and flexible. Lack of presets is a bummer. Not sure I'd want to commit to just this one.
H9 = The Timefactor stuff is really cool (and flexible), so many other options, too. It's taken a (long) while to move from being overwhelmed to starting to harness it. I could see this being able to do what I want things to do and also start to be more easily inspiring (there's a lot to learn in there).

Oh, and everyone needs to try chorus in stereo if you haven't. It's revelatory.
I'll keep this short, but gotta agree with the KORG delays! I've got a Vox [KORG] Delaylab that, although huge and ugly, sounds amazing! No preamp like the SDD-3000, but I believe the delay algorithems are the same, just stripped down with less option paralysis. I've really tried to downsize this thing with so many delays, the DIG being the latest. But sorry, no dice. The key to these things is an expression pedal with mix at zero heel down, then through subtle to all out DUB toe down. I even really dig the reverb you can get outa these things, better than the WET/RV-6 that I tried. Analog dry through as well. So, the Delaylab ended my delay/reverb search, which is a good thing!

bah humbuck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bah humbuck » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:16 am

Laugh all you want, but I get all the sounds I need from a DD6 on reverse mode into a Behringer VD400.