Re: Setup of the day

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:49 am

I've bought some stuff recently. the Jolana Alexandra guitar and Echolette echo & cab definitely deserve their own threads.

The preamps in Echolette NG51 are CRAZY. they are maybe "too much" for me when fed straight into amp input, but work like a charm as an outboard distortion. the NG51 was an impulse buy on romanian marketplace - I bought it solely based on its looks and the fact, that it lit on one picture, the seller didn't have any capacity to test it, but the price was worth the risk. Amazingly, it works! the tape is a bit worn and it is a bit noisy overall, but still very much usable.

the blonde cab is Echolette ET1 I bought for pennies some months ago. The original alnico speaker sounded amazing, kinda similar to celestion alnico gold, but with less headroom. Unfortunately, I misread the power rating and I fried it on it's first rig with my 50w jcm 800 2204 head :( It sounded amazing, but only for a little while :D I recently replaced the original fried speaker with JBL E120 and it sounds freaking amazing, I really fell in love with that sound especially when paired with the marshall - it pushes it more towards blackface territory, which is very ok in my world - I love the jcm 800, but I never went for that typical marshall 4 by 12 thing.

the amp on the right is my trusty old Mesa/Boogie Mark I, my main amp for years. The combination of mesa's Altec 417, Black Shadow C90 in the 1x12 cab on the bottom (sounds very boxy compared to the other two speakers, but it provides great midrange for the mix) and JBL E120 in the Echolette cab is nothing but amazing.

oh and the guitar. I was searching for non-original Jolana Alexandra I could modify without regrets for years, and I found the ultimate one.

It started life as Jolana Alexandra Super 3 - a close cousin to legendary Tornado, but in my eyes a bit more advanced - but the middle pickup was removed and route professionally patched, pickups swapped for amazing Simeto Type 3 pickups (seen on Musima/Migma guitars of 60s and 70s), overally it is sort of a "best of" compilation made out of eastern bloc parts from late 60s, except for modern tuners - Jolana Alexandra body and neck with east german pickups and hardware. It had a recent professional refret job and the whole thing was put together by somebody who knew what they were doing, it feels amazing straight out of the box. The only mod I am planning to do is to get rid of the non compensated floating bridge (it tends to move around a bit too much) and replace it with TOM drilled into the wood (ES 330 kind of setup). The pickups sound fat and punchy and the whole thing enables me to control the feedback in a very musical way - I can get infinite sustained notes with fuzz whenever I like. A quick wanky demo from the day I got it can be seen here - instagram video
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:51 am

Extremly cool guitar !
I always thought Jolana were not the most playable guitars...
Your play when you slap with your thumb while picking is insaaaaaaaaaanly awesome !!!!!! Makes me want to try :P

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:35 am

My eternal desire to simplify has today led me to this. I might pop in a Memory Man if I start missing some delay but we'll see...

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:35 am
My eternal desire to simplify has today led me to this. I might pop in a Memory Man if I start missing some delay but we'll see...

Memory Man would definitely do you right on that one.

And dang, that Rat has seen some shit, huh?
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:24 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 am
Memory Man would definitely do you right on that one.

And dang, that Rat has seen some shit, huh?
Yeah, I might pop it in there if I miss the dreamy warble. The Rat has indeed seen some serious shit. It's an early '84 and isnt going to win any beauty contests but it's easily the best Rat I've ever played. Here it is with my old HM-2...

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:21 am

We're getting kicked out of our practice space, which means the band is basically over for the time being, and I'm gutted.

Our roommate told us to watch out for assholes kicking down doors and stealing shit, so advised us to get anything extraneous out asap for safety, so I made myself a board that can do 90% of what I need for my live stuff, and I don't know if I love or hate that after all the time and money I've thrown at my live rig over the years, I can basically do it all well enough with just this through a loud, clean Crate 2x12:

It'll do wonders for my fly rig in case we pick up unrehearsed gigs. This, a ZT Lunchbox, a half a dozen cables in a cooler bag, and whatever backlined drum kit we can borrow. It's "emergency mode" until I can find somewhere else to practice, which might be never in this city.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:57 am

Here's what I'm using with my 2nd band project, which is more kinda stoner-ish.
Seems like I'm getting into DiMarzios, huh? :P

The Marshall also goes into a second 4x12 cab on the other side of the room. I'm still switching between the Jcm800 and the old Orange, depending on the day.

Still need to add a wah to that setup (i always forget to take one along with me...)
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:26 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:57 am
Here's what I'm using with my 2nd band project, which is more kinda stoner-ish.
Seems like I'm getting into DiMarzios, huh? :P

The Marshall also goes into a second 4x12 cab on the other side of the room. I'm still switching between the Jcm800 and the old Orange, depending on the day.

weird. i was just playing my old boss oc2 today too
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:25 pm

What is that Rickenbacker? :O
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:39 am

Kinx wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:25 pm
What is that Rickenbacker? :O
It's a 1974 Model 450 which has been modded with DiMarzios, obviously. My Kat Bjelland love just made me have to have it :blush:

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:17 pm

2020(ish) Fender Duo Sonic -> Death By Audio Reverberation Machine -> Caroline Parabola -> Vox AC 4 (1x10 combo)

busted tremo-verb delight
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:45 am

I could not go outside, it was too wet to play. So I sat in the house on that cold, cold, wet day.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:10 pm

...today i felt naughty.

Hadn't played a Strat so loud (the JCM800 stack mentioned above) in decades. It's such a different beast!

(Ok I confess I just had to do some pumpkins with the muff, of course!)

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:13 pm

Haven't played my Jazzmaster much these days, so I took it for a well deserved outing at the metal practice. I have yet to figure out how to reduce the squealing without getting the gate to aggressive on the metal muff. With the fuzz factory kit, it's obviously a positive thing!
And the mini hurdy-gurdy gets used too !
The EHX 44 magnum has cured me of any amp GAS I could ever have. Why would anyone spend money to carry some heavy boxes when you have some pedal sized things that get way too loud for any situation 99,9% of the players will find themselves in ?
No notes about the cab, it belongs to the studio we play in, and I can't tell any difference between 4x12s with the volume and the distortion.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:01 pm

Probably Trash Stack's last stand. It's just too damn much to lug around for a 40-minute set. But it looked, and FELT, so cool.

Setting up I heard someone in another band telling a girl I think he was trying to impress, "you really only need a few pedals". I hope Trash Stack didn't rearrange his fillings too much.

To paraphrase Faulkner, "You say you don't need more than a few. But F that, and F you, too".

Squier VM Jag

Boss TU-2 Tuner
Boss DF-2 Super Feedbacker and Distortion
Cuvave Dig Reverb
ProCo Rat (w/LM308 and Turbo Toggle mods)
Behringer Super Fuzz
Eno Swoosh flanger
Donner Stylish Fuzz (Triangle Muff)
Boss DD-5 Digital Delay
Boss RV-2 Digital Reverb

DIY 3-way signal splitter

ZT Lunchbox (w/15" ext speaker)
Fender Deluxe 112 Plus
Crate GLX-212 combo

RIP Trash Stack, you done been good to me, baby.

(Also, I hated playing under a Dead banner all night. When I made this clear to the crowd, they started chanting "Tear it down! Tear it down!". I love our crowd.)