Electro Harmonix Mogwai Big Muff

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Puke+Cry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Electro Harmonix Mogwai Big Muff

Post by Puke+Cry » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 am

speaking of superfuzz's theres like 4 right now on ebay. and one is the vintage grey box one. 

i hear the french toast is a replica of the foxx tone machine, sounds pretty good.

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:25 am

Smallstone wrote: The Tuna Melt Tremolo was just useless - no chance of a good sound however you dialed it in - and it bust pretty quickly :(
Uhhh no, the Tuna Melt is the best Trem you can get for a good price, $20 for mine an i love it.

i think it's a lovely sounding trem

Smallstone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Smallstone » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:08 am

Well just talking from personal experience - mine was not great. Glad yours is doing the do :) I''m digging my EH Pulsar at present. You can wind it right up - it's - like most EH - pretty extreme!

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:10 am

Mr M wrote:
Smallstone wrote: The Tuna Melt Tremolo was just useless - no chance of a good sound however you dialed it in - and it bust pretty quickly :(
Uhhh no, the Tuna Melt is the best Trem you can get for a good price, $20 for mine an i love it.

i think it's a lovely sounding trem
Seconded - tremolo is by FAR my favourite effect, and my Tuna Melt is a kickarse pedal, love it. And I reckon the French Toast is the best value for money fuzz you can get hold of right now - try the octave on effect with the gain right down boosted by another fuzz, sounds great.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:26 am

I reckon the Dano's are pretty inconsistent, I bought a French Toast as a present to someone else and it sounded better than mine (with the same power supply), however, I had already written my name on mine :(.

Tuna Melt sounds great for the price, I'm sure there's better tremolo pedals out there though (that are more versatile etc. and don't have annoying clock noise when bypassed) but not for that money.

benecol- another fuzz before or after the toast?
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:19 am

Zoom Ultra Fuzz before the French Toast for me, sounds great (but I am a fan of quite a trashy sounding fuzz) - I know what you  mean about the change in sound quality with the octave on, but I reckon this is just part of the nature of an octave fuzz - could be a bit controversial (and is definitely heading WAY off topic), but have a listen to this octave fuzz:

http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/mjm_roctavios_octaver.html

... similarly waspy octave fuzz, I reckon. I might just be lucky, or more likely just have very damaged hearing, but I've never been able to detect any noise from my Dano pedals when bypassed. I'm probably just biased anyhow - got quite a few Dano pedals, and played out with an all Dano board a couple of weeks ago (French Toast > Tuna Melt > Reel Echo > Spring King), and it was great.

Smallstone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Smallstone » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:52 am

thats a great link - and it does sound good!! I've not heard of those pedals before so thanks for that.
Doesn't this kinda show (celebrate even?) the diverse experiences we all have with these pedals. I mean even with Danelectro - some good, some downright bad. They're budget pedals - there's bound to be some bad apples. But generally these discussions make it all rather interesting in my opinion and backs up why we're all here posting on this great board :)

Loomer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Loomer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:23 pm

Smallstone wrote: Made to promote and give away to VIP 'music biz' types - this was made in a run of 50 I believe by E H in New York for the label South Paw/Play It Again Sam to promote Mogwais 2001 album 'Rock Action'. As ya can see the pedals have Volume / Rock & Action knobs instead of Volume / Tone & Sustain.
It's basically a Big Muff with different text on the unit and box. Not much interest I guess to anyone who doesn't dig EH and or Mogwai - but I kinda like this pedal :) cheers

This is perhaps one of the most rad bits of fan-abilia I've ever seen. How'd ya get yr hands on it?

Smallstone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Smallstone » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:50 pm

During the day I work as a label manager for a CD and distribution company. We did (still do) the sales, distribution and retail marketing (all the really exciting stuff....) etc for Mogwai and I worked on a few of their albums including Rock Action. So when the label did these pedals I blagged one :)
I've worked in the 'music business' for 15+ years and this is the best promo item I've ever blagged! Better than the Amps Micro Marshall Amp and the Pixies candles!! Better than the recent Oasis dartboards!!

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:29 am

BEST MUFF EVAR!!!!
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:45 am

That pedal is SICK

This forum seems really cool. You guys all seem to be into cool music and the more obscure effects and stuff.
"I'm all metric and loving every inch of it"
-Orang Goreng

stratatak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stratatak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:52 am

I just picked up a Green Sovtek , its definately the sound i've had in my head .

Yet the bypass , and lower gain settings , aren't all that hot ..

HELP

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:41 pm

stratatak wrote: I just picked up a Green Sovtek , its definately the sound i've had in my head .

HELP
You can put a better switch in it for the bypass issue. It's an easy mod.

Lower gain? Are wet alking about Big Muffs here? There is only one gain knob setting on the Big Muff, and you know where it is.  Image
"I'm all metric and loving every inch of it"
-Orang Goreng

stratatak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stratatak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:04 pm

Dave wrote:
stratatak wrote: I just picked up a Green Sovtek , its definately the sound i've had in my head .

HELP
You can put a better switch in it for the bypass issue. It's an easy mod.

Lower gain? Are wet alking about Big Muffs here? There is only one gain knob setting on the Big Muff, and you know where it is.  Image
HAHA true , but still i'd like to be able to work a lil bit more with my volume knob ...

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:13 pm

HELP
I love the green ones, too. THey sound so fat and huge... just what I always thought a Big Muff would sound like before I actually got one. I have two of them right now and one sounds a bit different from the other. Overall though, they are definitely my favorites. I still want to buy one of the BYOC Large Beavers one day. If anything, it would be nice to have a more compact Big Muff that has a different sound as a bonus. I think I'd rather build that than buy a Little Big Muff at this point, if anything, just from the satisfaction of putting it all together.

Justin
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real