ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Let's nerd out on clean boosts.

Post by ElephantDNA » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:32 am

del wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 am
MXR Micro Amp.
It's so very simple to use: one knob that, when turned clockwise, makes your signal louder.
Not technically "clean" though, but yeah a really nice simple piece of gear that sounds good. So not off target as far as the discussion.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:04 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:35 am
del wrote:
MXR Micro Amp.
It's so very simple to use: one knob that, when turned clockwise, makes your signal louder.
I wonder how awesome it would be to make a pedal with both the MXR Micro Amp and a Boss FA-1 inside, where you could switch between the two...
This wouldnt be hard to do at all
Instagram: thetonyballs

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:59 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:04 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:35 am
del wrote:
MXR Micro Amp.
I wonder how awesome it would be to make a pedal with both the MXR Micro Amp and a Boss FA-1 inside, where you could switch between the two...
This wouldnt be hard to do at all
I was talking with a guitar player coworker the other day and had an idea for making two pedals, both with multiple circuits: one for clean boosts, one for dirty boosts. The original idea was to have two pedals that could do most of the basic boost circuits, and switch between them. Then I thought, how cool would it be to have each of those circuits with their own input and output jacks (maybe use an 1/8" jack like Eurorack) so you could use them separate, together, and in any order. I'm still messing with the idea...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:15 am

I thought of this thread earlier: I found a used Xotic Super Clean for sale, so I've ordered it. It might replace my 4 knob TC Spark depending on how the DIP switches work out, as I mostly use the Spark for a clean boost with a touch of extra treble. The Xotic is a bit smaller, so it'll free up some room on my board too. :)

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 am

Just to follow up on my post; I got the Xotic Super Clean today. Only had a quick try of it before I put it on my board, but the DIP switch settings seem to give me the clean with treble boost I was hoping for. At least they are accessible from outside the pedal (unlike my Xotic SL drive which has them inside the case, so I have to dismantle my board to get to them).

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm

MrJagsquire wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 am
Just to follow up on my post; I got the Xotic Super Clean today. Only had a quick try of it before I put it on my board, but the DIP switch settings seem to give me the clean with treble boost I was hoping for. At least they are accessible from outside the pedal (unlike my Xotic SL drive which has them inside the case, so I have to dismantle my board to get to them).
Interested to hear the report on this one.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:23 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm
Not much more to report really; the Super clean covers a smaller gain range than the Super Sweet, so the tiny knob is a bit easier to control to set the boost. My use is to boost for some clean solos and to give a bit of extra drive on dirtier solos. I've experimented with the DIP switches and they are quite subtle (though that is also dependent on the amount of boost applied), I use the 'high mid boost' (#2 switch) after trying the options. It just adds a little bit of bite to the dirty sounds and clarity to the clean ones.

The other DIP switches add bass, roll the top end off a bit and a lower mid boost. All sound quite useful in their own way and will probably use them in recordings and with other guitars: I'm mostly playing my Strat, Jaguar or Tele for the band set list stuff. All three guitars have an Eric Clapton mid boost, so I can control the lower mids from the guitar anyway, but the Super Clean is just a handy footswitch for a preset boost, so I can focus on hitting the right notes to start the solo/riff. :)

It is tempting to leave it on all the time, but then that defeats the purpose of being able to kick it in for solos: We don't have a soundman, so I just need a way to bring up certain parts when we (eventually) play live again.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:55 am

MrJagsquire wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:23 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm
Not much more to report really; the Super clean covers a smaller gain range than the Super Sweet, so the tiny knob is a bit easier to control to set the boost. My use is to boost for some clean solos and to give a bit of extra drive on dirtier solos. I've experimented with the DIP switches and they are quite subtle (though that is also dependent on the amount of boost applied), I use the 'high mid boost' (#2 switch) after trying the options. It just adds a little bit of bite to the dirty sounds and clarity to the clean ones.

The other DIP switches add bass, roll the top end off a bit and a lower mid boost. All sound quite useful in their own way and will probably use them in recordings and with other guitars: I'm mostly playing my Strat, Jaguar or Tele for the band set list stuff. All three guitars have an Eric Clapton mid boost, so I can control the lower mids from the guitar anyway, but the Super Clean is just a handy footswitch for a preset boost, so I can focus on hitting the right notes to start the solo/riff. :)

It is tempting to leave it on all the time, but then that defeats the purpose of being able to kick it in for solos: We don't have a soundman, so I just need a way to bring up certain parts when we (eventually) play live again.
That cool. Pretty much how I use the mid boost side of my Kokoboost.

With the amount of headroom my amp has it usually equates to a very light overdrive when used alone. It *really* wakes up a dirt pedal though without adding harshness.