Boss Hyper Fuzz clone

Everyone needs a stompbox.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Boss Hyper Fuzz clone

Post by tune_link » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:36 am

Just noticed every use of the word "wah" was auto corrected in the last post I made. Jesus.....

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:51 pm

After a shipping mishap I finally got my Berhinger unit. I like the fuzz modes less than I expected, but the boost mode, coupled with the controls on the Super Fuzz, were surprisingly nice and effective at giving you just a bit of breakup, and not much more. I suspect this pedal scratches the itch for me and I don't think I'll be hunting down an uber expensive Boss unit. But if a reissue happened, I'd certainly think about it.

deluxejazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by deluxejazzmaster » Sun May 23, 2021 8:18 am

I have both the Boss and The Berringer versions (both given to my wife for her bass). I found that I loved the noise they create but both cut into the tone of my amp when not used and as of recent that has been the paramount importance when playing. Things I like about those circuits are the addition of the overdrive (which I didn't expect) and the amount of volume boost they provided when used. I was using the Boss with a Vibro-King and playing a Thin Skin Jaguar exclusively in a no bass two guitar and drummer garage band.... I was mostly holding down the bottom end (and it worked nicely with that set up). That being said, I have found that I use a fuzz pedal (or overdrive) sparingly these days and mostly value my clean signal. I have found a happy medium between what the FZ2 offered and a current clean signal. I use two Reuss pedals in conjunction to that have true bypass : A Wine And Roses pedal plus a Goo Goo Fuzz. I push my '57 Custom Pro with a Chicago Special CS Jazzmaster and now the only thing that is similar to my 'Jaguar days' are the fuzz unit. Oddly, I am able to get both the cool overdrive effect and the Super Fuzz effect but no tone alteration when not using.

People used to always complain about the noisiness of the Boss pedal when it came out... something about chords with more than two notes having no definition. I always laughed it off because in my mind the Super Fuzz was always the goto pedal for noisy music ala The Jesus and Mary Chain or Mudhoney for that very reason and that's what made me want one in the fist place (Psychocandy and Super Fuzz Big Muff). You can find those Berringer pedals for dirt cheap so I would always suggest a person goes that route first. I am really into the things I am into with respect to pedals and beyond what I mentioned above, I also am really digging the sound of germanium diodes in my fuzz (and overdrive) which the Reuss pedals use exclusively. But for how this thread all started... the Berringer would be a good start for anyone as it is pretty close to the FZ 2 in that it has the much loved tone nobs for bass and treble on them... I would rack it up to the Boss pedal being what all Boss pedals have in their favor: built like shit brick house thus tough as shit.
It could always be worse

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu May 27, 2021 7:58 am

I finally put my Behringer on my board. It isn't my main distortion pedal--an ancient Boss OS-2 is--but it's great for when I want over the top racket. I'm kind of glad to have the Behringer because it showed me this type of distortion is kind of niche for me, so I'd feel kind of cranky if I'd ponied up for the high cost of the Boss Hyper Fuzz.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:35 pm

Gotta shout out for the Octane. Hands down my favorite fuzz, it's just hilariously and chaotically aggressive and ripping!
She/Her

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:25 pm

Someone recently posted in another thread here that Boss is looking at/in the process of working on a FZ-2w at the moment. I've been impressed with the Waza pedals I've played already and would love an FZ-2w!

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:34 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:25 pm
Someone recently posted in another thread here that Boss is looking at/in the process of working on a FZ-2w at the moment.
My god they'd better be. Two. TWO different waza fuzzes and neither was their most celebrated fuzz. At this point I almost feel like they're blue-balling us and will release a FZ-5w first...

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:14 am

Veitchy wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:34 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Someone recently posted in another thread here that Boss is looking at/in the process of working on a FZ-2w at the moment.
My god they'd better be. Two. TWO different waza fuzzes and neither was their most celebrated fuzz. At this point I almost feel like they're blue-balling us and will release a FZ-5w first...
I dunno, I have the FZ-1w and I'm pretty impressed with it so far and I'm kinda a fuzz whore. I know it may not have resurrecting a classic but Boss may have just created a new classic with it.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:46 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:14 am
Veitchy wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:34 pm
hulakatt wrote:
I dunno, I have the FZ-1w and I'm pretty impressed with it so far and I'm kinda a fuzz whore. I know it may not have resurrecting a classic but Boss may have just created a new classic with it.
From what I've heard of it, the FZ-1w is great - no objections here. I'm just a bit nonplussed that their most notable fuzz hasn't copped the treatment yet.