looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4075
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:35 am

Very tempted by the $40 Gunslinger, but I have some recording gear I need to pay down.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by jorri » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:41 am

dc wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:35 am
del wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:46 am
I'd be eager to know: is digitech forever abandoning these pedals? or is it just a marketing plan, to bring them back later? or to sell off the brand? or something else?
the question seems to be whether Harman International is shuttering the DigiTech/DOD brand. the whole product development team was let go a while back, and they haven't brought anything new to market or even hinted at it that I've seen. they seem to be just flogging current stock at steep discounts.

their FB presence is endless ads and #throwbackthursday posts celebrating their classic lineup, all "weren't these old pedals GREAT!!" it's like yeah, they were -- how about you guys ramp up and reissue them. :fp:

Haha. Yes I see that kind of post and my browsing activity is immediately directed away from their website onto their strongest competition: used listings on eBay and Reverb.
With any brand.

I do feel digitech has come out with some underrated pedals recently but often the rest are like clones or updates.
That would be the Freqout feedbacker pedal particularly but I've never thought it was necessarily irreplacable if another sustain creator comes along for me, it also has disadvantages like sounding like feedback or generated theramin sine sound when its being used to imitate an ebow or just loud volume sustain.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3804
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:24 am

cestlamort wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:54 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:49 pm
cestlamort wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:11 pm
That sounds like the early 90s to me
Punk Rock Al di Meola was a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjOYscEN6Qc
weird stuff went on at college campuses in California under a haze of punk and funk and weirdness (and other influences). Mostly ephemeral, purposely eclectic bands who only played house shows. Primus (Bay Area) played our dining hall, for example, and they (and Mr Bungle) had the most t-shirts walking around on campus. (Or: Santa Cruz is a weird, eclectic place; Camper van Beethoven started in my dorm years earlier. Just imagine all the bands in their wake that weren’t as good, etc. There was a beauty in the infinite possibilities and assured commercial failure of the pre-alternative era).
That said, you should totally go forward with “ALL DIE Meola”
Ohhhh yeah right right. Forgot about all that stuff. And yeah, Camper and all those like "not hardcore/nor hardcore derived" punk derived bands really did get the short end of the stick didn't they? Like, post "Our Band" coming out it's like giant swaths of music were just totally pushed aside. Very disappointing.

And will definitely take that band name under advisement.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3804
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:25 am

jorri wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:41 am
dc wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:35 am
del wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:46 am
I'd be eager to know: is digitech forever abandoning these pedals? or is it just a marketing plan, to bring them back later? or to sell off the brand? or something else?
the question seems to be whether Harman International is shuttering the DigiTech/DOD brand. the whole product development team was let go a while back, and they haven't brought anything new to market or even hinted at it that I've seen. they seem to be just flogging current stock at steep discounts.

their FB presence is endless ads and #throwbackthursday posts celebrating their classic lineup, all "weren't these old pedals GREAT!!" it's like yeah, they were -- how about you guys ramp up and reissue them. :fp:

Haha. Yes I see that kind of post and my browsing activity is immediately directed away from their website onto their strongest competition: used listings on eBay and Reverb.
With any brand.

I do feel digitech has come out with some underrated pedals recently but often the rest are like clones or updates.
That would be the Freqout feedbacker pedal particularly but I've never thought it was necessarily irreplacable if another sustain creator comes along for me, it also has disadvantages like sounding like feedback or generated theramin sine sound when its being used to imitate an ebow or just loud volume sustain.
It's a good question, because I feel like they were really starting to get hyped again on their new stuff. The Rubberneck was a real sleeper hit that has been building up steam since it came out. I think if they'd stuck with it and kept refining a few of the ideas they'd have nothing to worry about. I guess it depends on dumb Harman is. They sure aren't listening to geeks like us :fp:
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by ElephantDNA » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:16 pm

I think they spent a decent amount developing the more boutique inspired line they did a couple of years back. The Polara and Ventura are really good. I haven't played the delay but it also seems pretty good. But I think the sales there didn't pan out so they are basically shutting down digitech as a pedal company. If you try and find a manual on there it'll show up under discontinued products.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by jorri » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:25 am

I'm not sure they really knew what they were. Boss alternative...or very digital innovation?...or recent pseudo-boutique Of course the famous Whammy and these DOD pedals but kind of lose out on all 3 fields, at the moment.

Ive had an interest in some of these very quirky DOD like the meathead and other blue-box style madness. I can also say my Jamman kind of sucks and is noisy, clips, and unintuitive controls.

User avatar
manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by manwithtitties » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 pm

im pretty sure the layoffs had more to do with samsung buying out harman at that point, and with the tendencies that come with even huger conglomerates taking over. why would samsung keep paying employees for coming up with new pedals if they sell no where near as much as vacuum cleaners, tvs and most importantly, phones.

at least they can keep producing the pedal designs they already have, but even then, they have no real incentive to keep making digitech/dod considering they sell fairly niche products, with a profit margin that would probably seem insignificant for a company at the scale of samsung. at least when harman wasnt a part of samsung, that profit margin had some effect on the parent company considering it was a general audio brand, and those people at least had some understanding of what digitech/dod was doing.

User avatar
peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: DC...OK, Arlington.
Contact:

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by peterherman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Well, the 280 came in the mail the other day.
Goddammit.

Now I like a compressor. :fp:

User avatar
Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5030
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 11:44 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:10 pm

peterherman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:13 pm
Well, the 280 came in the mail the other day.
Goddammit.

Now I like a compressor. :fp:
This is exactly how I felt. Before this got cheap I wanted a Fairfield The Accountant Compressor as that has been the only intriguing compressor to me, but this DOD does the job.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 10898
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by Maggieo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:39 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:10 pm
peterherman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:13 pm
Well, the 280 came in the mail the other day.
Goddammit.

Now I like a compressor. :fp:
This is exactly how I felt. Before this got cheap I wanted a Fairfield The Accountant Compressor as that has been the only intriguing compressor to me, but this DOD does the job.
Me 3. :fp:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3804
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:26 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:39 pm
Pepe Silvia wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:10 pm
peterherman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:13 pm
Well, the 280 came in the mail the other day.
Goddammit.

Now I like a compressor. :fp:
This is exactly how I felt. Before this got cheap I wanted a Fairfield The Accountant Compressor as that has been the only intriguing compressor to me, but this DOD does the job.
Me 3. :fp:
I'm doing a bit of reading on this and apparently the 280 is an Optical Compressor rather than a transistor one ala the Ross/MXR lineage. That might explain why you guy are all into it. Totally different feel, from my understanding. Off to Reverb I go...
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

User avatar
jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 632
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Downeast Maine

Re: looks like DigiTech is blowing out remaining DODs

Post by jthomas » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:02 am

I got the 280 compressor and the 440 envelope filter. This is my 4th compressor. I built a General Guitar Gadgets Orange Squeeze clone which works well and it has been the final unit on my pedal board for about forever. I also have a too-large Pigtronix Philosopher King that is hard to dial in (i.e., touchy) and a Digitech Maine Squeeze that is just not very good. The 280 is quiet and works remarkably well. Having 2 controls (i.e., compression and gain) allows a lot of control. Thanks to the OP who alerted me to the closeout.

The 440 is interesting. DK yet if it will get much use, but hey... sonic fun's afoot.

Post Reply