Advice Needed: Guitar/Keys Hybrid Board

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Advice Needed: Guitar/Keys Hybrid Board

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat May 09, 2020 12:24 pm

My wife plays both acoustic and keys. I want to create a small board for her that will do both. For the acoustic I wanted a decent active DI. I’m not too familiar with DIs, but wondering if there would be one that would be better suited for the hybrid situation of this board?

Like, mostly wondering if it matter which DI I get? As I’ve read keys don’t necessarily require an active DI

Also, wondering what 3 versatile effects to throw on there? From an acoustic standpoint, I’d like to keep it simple. Delay, verb. But for keys, I’m thinking a good multi modulating pedal for more interesting textures.

Does anyone foresee a problem with this chain?

Simple analogue delay -> strymon mobius or the new little boss thing -> Neunaber reverb -> Acoustic DI

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Advice Needed: Guitar/Keys Hybrid Board

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon May 11, 2020 12:24 pm

I would suggest a Filter or Ring Modulation for the keyboard.

Might not have any use on acoustic guitar, but good ring mods can do an interesting tremolo and octave up effects. Slow filter sweeps can sound interesting with delay. A bit like a shallow phaser. I like a band pass filtered delay to add interest to fast strumming sections. Subtle of course, on guitar, but you can go heavy on keys.

For DI, most I think can switch between balanced/unbalanced, can’t they? If not just look for one that does. Something by Lehle (like the 3-in-one, but for 2?) would cost a bit, but silent switching between acoustic guitar and keyboards and instrument to line level with a click might be worth the $$

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon May 11, 2020 1:32 pm

This could be a good application for something like the TC Plethora X5. Just put an acoustic preamp in front of it and a DI after add an A/B box if needed, and done.

It has MIDI in/out, so depending on her keyboard setup maybe she could get it talking to the Plethora to recall different boards, when she switches from a Wurli sound to a Farfisa or whatever.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Mon May 11, 2020 1:46 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:24 pm
I would suggest a Filter or Ring Modulation for the keyboard.
Affirmative. Randy's Revenge rocks keys. Mercury 7 Reverb works great too since you can switch instrument/line level. MVP is a looper.