Walrus Ages OD

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Walrus Ages OD

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:43 pm

Gotta say I’m pretty impressed with the demo.

I like the simple rotary switch with the 5 modes, and all seem to be usable, musical sounds. Some pedals with a ton of switches have a bad sound for every good one.

Clean blends seem to work better for some kinds of sounds than others, but it’s nice that it has this.

The graphics remind me a bit of Mike Vallely’s first Powell Peralta deck. That was an elephant. This is a Mammoth? They know their audience I guess.

I don’t have anything resembling GAS for this, but it seems like it could be a useful thing for my style of playing. I’d be interested to try one at least (whenever that is a thing). I guess $200 is a new normal for OD pedals. Probably not the worst thing if it has multiple usable toanz.
Last edited by marqueemoon on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Walrus Ages OD

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pm

The more options a pedal has the more they make me anxious that I’m missing out on a better sound. I’m sure it’s a fine pedal, but I think I’m sorta off the overdrive train for a bit, I just recently got an Earthquaker Plumes and it seems to have scratched that itch for the time being— plus it only has three tonal options... :whistle:

I know the Powell Peralta board you speak of, and I have a few of their shirts. Walrus graphics don’t do it for me. If they were more my style I would have snapped something up for sure, as they seem like decent pedals.

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:06 pm

The pedal might be cool but the marketing blitz & hype train is ridiculous.

It was like they lifted the embargo and BAM my whole Youtube feed was just one "review" after another from "influencers" who all said that this pedal is the greatest thing ever, some of them mentioning they got a payday to say it was great and others just ignoring the elephant in the room. :P

It's so hard to trust when they do this kind of thing.. it's so transparently ridiculous... it'd be better if they trickled review units out to these youtube guys and let real organic word of mouth build up instead.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:44 pm

I watched one video that was a head to head with a Klon.
Granted they are very different concepts, but the Klon made it sound like a toy.

Yeah, pedal companies have gotten really good at the marketing blitz and the demo folks probably like it too as they get a lot of click throughs.

Huckleberry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Huckleberry » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:10 pm

It's really similar to an Mxr IL diavolo. Tube screamer with some options, and the EQ helps. I'm not surprised that the klon beats it as I find that circuit more interesting than TS at this point.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Huckleberry wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm not surprised that the klon beats it as I find that circuit more interesting than TS at this point.
Same. I picked up an Archer Ikon in a trade a few years back and it was slow to grow on me, but now I love it.

I think my next dirt pedal is going to be a lot more extreme.