Your Favorite Reverb Pedal

Everyone needs a stompbox.
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Your Favorite Reverb Pedal

Post by panoramic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:21 am

right now i have a vanamps solemate spring reverb unit which does the classic surfy thing and has the capacity to add volume to your signal but just a touch. I own a red panda context version 1 which is really cool for different sounds and can get right into slowdive territory if you turn on the trails, it can also do some interesting stuff in gate and plate modes that i've not heard other reverbs do for instance if you have the gate dimed and throw that into a reverse reverb it can get really weird and chop up the signal. I've used that effect on a lot of the little micro songs i've written over the last 6 months. I also own an Old Blood Rever, it's the craziest pedal and has some of the strangest reverb on it, it's super lo-fi in some setting and normal in others so you have to play with it to find what you want. It also has a delay on it and a direction switch for which mode comes first in the chain. In reverse you can make the signal go insane if you have the delay first in the mix. These 3 are really interesting and honestly i love all of them.
Sometimes i just run all three of them at once with the rever at the end, it can get a bit washy ;)
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 am

I currently use an eventide H9 (Space algorithms) and it sounds great once dialed in (and it has a tuner! <-- Something I think every digital pedal should have, honestly). I used a Yamaha FX500 for years before that, as well as a lengthy flirtation with the Magicstomp.
For classic, not quite realistic but pleasing reverbs, the Boss RV2 just sounds "right". For spring reverb, the Vanamps Solemate is really close to a fender tank (pairs perfectly with a Vibro Champ, and the small design touch of an additional switch for the vibrato circuit is simply elegant design).

I was disappointed with the Loomer personally, because I expected it to sound like a FX500 and it didn’t really, especially not the obliteration of the signal for the Soft Focus patch. It sounds good, but there's some crappy magic in a FX500 that the Loomer (and Magicstomp for that matter) doesn't quite get, and (this could be a positive or negative), the Loomer is mono.

Full disclosure: I also had the Boss RV-500 and couldn't figure it out / make it sound right.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:54 am

mcatano wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 am
EQD Ghost Echo is a great does-one-thing-well pedal.
played through one right before the outbreak that really had me interested. Also the mr. black reverb/trem pedal is really nice sounding and the reverb can get epic on it. It might be the best sub $150 trem/verb i've heard

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:31 am

All y'all talking about the Slowdive reverb sound are speaking my language for sure! Probably favorite band of all time, def favorite reverb sound. I've never owned the FX500 but I've lusted after that tone for years. I might go look up this Red Panda context just for reference. I also always try to consider that my own shoegaze band doesn't really sound like Slowdive and what works for them may not work for me. At any rate, that shit is absolute magic.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:38 am

tune_link wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:31 am
All y'all talking about the Slowdive reverb sound are speaking my language for sure! Probably favorite band of all time, def favorite reverb sound. I've never owned the FX500 but I've lusted after that tone for years. I might go look up this Red Panda context just for reference. I also always try to consider that my own shoegaze band doesn't really sound like Slowdive and what works for them may not work for me. At any rate, that shit is absolute magic.
if you turn on the trails and put the context into "cathedral" mode with a the damp/other knobs up past 2 o'clock up etc. it gets very close to what i perceive to be that sound.It can get there by itself without any other units which is one reason i have had a hard time contemplating letting it go. I also love it's delay/reverb mixed setting and like i said that gate (can get a little MBV-lite) and plate mode are not common on reverberators.
https://youtu.be/nWAKcZpRPIY this is a good little demo, around 2 minutes in they get that slowdive sound but less so than i use it for

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:50 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:20 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:29 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am
I would have to go with the trusty old Boss RV-2.
I was wondering how deep into this thread I'd have to go till someone mentioned the RV-2. Turns out it was pretty deep. Probably deeper than it should've been.
Haha. Yeah, it's pretty well passed over these days. Still works for me though!
Me too! Though I sometimes favour my RV-3.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:50 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:20 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:29 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am
I would have to go with the trusty old Boss RV-2.
I was wondering how deep into this thread I'd have to go till someone mentioned the RV-2. Turns out it was pretty deep. Probably deeper than it should've been.
Haha. Yeah, it's pretty well passed over these days. Still works for me though!
Its true that the records i like from 15-25 years ago use it though. if you can make Aegetis Byrjun with it can't be too bad. Or as some say "the tool that's best for the job is the one you have on you"!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:05 pm

I'm not positive that they've hit distributors yet, but Red Panda said that the Context 2 would be ready by April, and I know that they sell direct too. Anyone get a Context 2 yet? I'm dying to hear one compared to the original Context.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

stilwel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stilwel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am

I love my Zoom MS70-CDR. It has so many great reverb options. Tons of killer ambient verbs that sound like Eventide/Line6, etc.

Both the Fender Tre-Verb and Reflecting Pool pedals have some really nice reverbs.
The spring options in the Tre-Verb bounce like you expect them to.
The option 3 modulated reverb in the Reflecting Pool sounds so killer.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:55 am

A vote here for the Mantic Proverb -- one of the deepest reverbs I've owned in pedal form.

As to the Keeley Realizer and Loomer -- I have had both; I also have the Yamaha FX-500. I bought it years ago to get the Slowdive soft-focus sound, which it does really well -- I just don't like the form factor.

The Keeley pedals are alright, I guess, but never got close to the immense early reflections that the FX-500 produces. In the end, I was really disappointed in both of them and sold them on. For background: I have owned close to twenty different Keeley pedals and have sold them all.

I finally just decided I would find my own sounds and currently use a VFE Blueprint (delay, but does so much more) into a Mantic Proverb, and thence into a Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe. I have an infinite number of sounds to play with from this combination.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 am

I've had and loved the Boss RV-3, the Hall setting in particular.

Right now I'm digging the OBNE Procession and Chase Bliss Dark Water... I mostly use the Procession pre-dirt, full wet and the DW end-of-chain with the Gen Loss and Plate algorithms in parallel. All of the Keeley reverb models in the DW sounds great, they're more utilitarian than the Realizer - had it, sold it - but in combo with the Cooper FX side you can get all the dreamy-spacey vibes.

I got the Procession when they first came out but sold it off because it didn't play nice with some of the other pedals I considered essential at the time. I recently got a V2, though, and don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

SummerLeftMe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SummerLeftMe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:02 am

Eventide Space. :-*

I have an Eventide Eclipse rack unit but I still end up using the Space a lot of the time. I play shoegaze and it is perfect for that. Just massive amounts of reverb that have super long decay times. I end up using blackhole most, because its so versatile and sounds amazing. Mod echo verb can sound just like the FX500 Soft Focus patch. I have an FX500 but rarely use it because the Space is easier to use and sounds better to me. Shimmer, Dyna-verb, Mangleverb. . all great.
I rarely use normal sounding reverbs so I can't comment on the spring, plate, and room really. I use hall though because it gets huge.

I bought a Boss RV500 but I haven't used it much. You can use 2 reverbs in series or parallel which is really cool. But even with 2 reverbs in series I can't get as big as the Space. Also have an EQD Avalanche Run which doesn't gets used either.

iStringz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by iStringz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:16 am

I currently use a JPTR FX Kaleidoscope and a EQD Levitation. Very affordable and variable pedals, with lots of options.
The Kaleidoscope is the current hero on my board. On nearly all the time, and paired with the reverb of my Twin Reverb it gives me exactly that kind of wet sound that I need.
The Levitation is more of a backup, in case the Amp-Reverb breaks or I need even more 'VERB! :?
Guess that's a problem that only psyche guitarists have :D
Current offsets: Fender Jaguar 65 AVRI IceBlueMetallic & Fender Jazzmaster LTD w/ Rosewood Neck Shell Pink.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:24 am

I don’t have a ton of experience with different ones, but I really love the Oceans 11. All the settings sound good, but I mainly use the echo and trem settings.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:49 am

fever606 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 am
I've had and loved the Boss RV-3, the Hall setting in particular.

Right now I'm digging the OBNE Procession and Chase Bliss Dark Water... I mostly use the Procession pre-dirt, full wet and the DW end-of-chain with the Gen Loss and Plate algorithms in parallel. All of the Keeley reverb models in the DW sounds great, they're more utilitarian than the Realizer - had it, sold it - but in combo with the Cooper FX side you can get all the dreamy-spacey vibes.

I got the Procession when they first came out but sold it off because it didn't play nice with some of the other pedals I considered essential at the time. I recently got a V2, though, and don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.
Just gonna quote myself here to edit... after playing around last night, I've pulled the Procession and moved the Dark Water pre-dirt. Don't know why I didn't do this before, but it's hitting all the right notes for me now. Think I'll move the Procession along and stick the PN-2 back in...