Your Favorite Reverb Pedal

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Your Favorite Reverb Pedal

Post by Arthon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:03 am

Solidgold fx Surf Rider for spring reverb emulator. The Boss FRV-1 is not bad either.
I personnaly have the Counter Current, a lo-fi reverb, which is really nice, but since I dont have alot of experience with lo-fi reverb, I cannot argue that it's one of the best,
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:25 pm

I currently have 7, but can’t say I have ever had a favourite pedal. I use a Flint on one board and a DBA Reverberation Machine and Loomer on another (guess which one gets crazier?). I tend to like One or two modes per pedal, then prefer different modes on others.

Overall my favourite is probably my old Alesis Quadraverb that I sold a few years ago.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:38 am

shoule79 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:25 pm
I currently have 7, but can’t say I have ever had a favourite pedal. I use a Flint on one board and a DBA Reverberation Machine and Loomer on another (guess which one gets crazier?). I tend to like One or two modes per pedal, then prefer different modes on others.

Overall my favourite is probably my old Alesis Quadraverb that I sold a few years ago.
I've read so many people gush over the Flint in the last year. I want to say that Jeff from Daysleepers that posts here was posting about switching from whatever reverb he was using to this thing. I feel like I'm always looking for something intangible when it comes to reverb specifically (hell aren't we all?). Would love to hear your thoughts on the Reverberation Machine as well as the Flint. That post in the pedals thread with the all in response to my question about the Gray Channel spoke to me so I'll ask again here and see what that gets me.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:25 pm

tune_link wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:38 am
shoule79 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:25 pm

I've read so many people gush over the Flint in the last year. I want to say that Jeff from Daysleepers that posts here was posting about switching from whatever reverb he was using to this thing. I feel like I'm always looking for something intangible when it comes to reverb specifically (hell aren't we all?). Would love to hear your thoughts on the Reverberation Machine as well as the Flint. That post in the pedals thread with the all in response to my question about the Gray Channel spoke to me so I'll ask again here and see what that gets me.
Hmmm...okay, Flint and Reverberation Machine.

The Flint was originally a pragmatic decision. I never have a huge board anymore (8 pedals including a tuner tops), but portability and space where i'm playing was a bit of an issue in my current situation (not exactly playing large stages), so I built a smaller board last winter. My old board had a Walrus Fathom and Monument on it (plus 2 delays). I tried the Flint in a store last fall and fell in love with the Hall setting, so when I needed to downsize it was one of the first pedals I bought.

Overall, its a good pedal. The 60's spring works for me, but reminds me of more of an amp reverb than a tank. I've heard complaints that it doesn't drip enough online, but its enough to do Pipeline. 70's plate is a little flat for me. Its not bad, and can be near infinite, but the Fathom was better for me, especially because you could add modulation. I'm also a fan of the old Boss RV-3 plate, artifacts and all, so I may be biased as to what a "good" plate reverb is. My least used reverb setting on this pedal.

80's hall is where the magic happens for me. I run this fairly wet and long with the color way up to get the little bit of octave on the trail. Its my favorite wet reverb with fuzz after the Infinity Reverb patch on the old Alesis Quadraverbs. It also does the Chris Isaak Wicked Game thing, even some pseudo slap back delay. The harmonic tremolo subtly underneath this setting also gives it some interesting movement. It was worth buying for this setting alone.

All the verb settings are really tweakable, but it sounds good at most points on the dials. I find that the mix can be a bit touchy to get it where I want it when i'm not going ridiculously wet or having just a touch of reverb. The infinite reverb on the 70's and 80's setting is nice if you are doing pads and swells. Is it the craziest reverb? No. But its usable for most situations when you need a lush sounding reverb, and can handle most ambient situations you can throw at it. With the favorite switch it handles all the reverb I need on my main board.

Going to cover the tremolo side too. Its really good and amp like. I didn't care for harmonic trem on the Monument, but find I use it/like it more on the Flint. The Bias trem goes deeper than my actual PR, so thats a plus. The Photo cell trem is what I usually use, it gets a nice throb that works for most settings. Lush again is the word i'd use to describe the trem.

Is it my favorite trem pedal? Nope. For sound I still like the Boss PN-2. The PN-2's chop is great, but its also the other trem sounds hear on all the old Ride/MBV/Radiohead records, so it sounds like what a trem should be to my ears. The Monument gets close to the PN-2 sounds with added flexibility, and repeat-percussion sounds to boot. The Flint is very amp like, easy to dial in, blends well with the reverbs and will cover what 90% of players need. There's no chop though and it never gets as extreme as the others I mentioned. But, the other thing here is that it blends with the reverbs really well, so you get this overall really good sound that was made to go together.

If space were no issue on my board, i'd still have the Flint on it, simply for the 80's setting. I generally use a decently wet sound and a really wet sound with my reverb, and it covers both with the favorite switch. I'd put the Monument on my board for crazier trem sounds though, but would still use both to get How Soon is Now type swells.

The Reverberation Machine was something I went back and forth on for a long time. The EQD Ghost Echo was my first Belton type reverb, and I couldn't get past the pre-delay. A local shop had the RM used last summer, so I gave it a try. First time trying it, didn't really like it, but found it easier to dial in than the GE. A couple weeks later felt compelled to try it again, loved it. Went back to buy it a couple days later, didn't like it again. Looked up demo's online and figured out how the controls work and interact, then tried it again. Loved it again.

The trick to this pedal is learning how the knobs interact. Turning up the verb or the altitude impact the overall volume greatly, so you have to be careful with your volume when learning the pedal. It will boost your signal to dangerous levels if not careful.

First off, I love the altitude (gain) control. Even if you are not going for the whole gain after reverb sound, a little bit of dirt on the trails sounds great. This pedal can sound surprisingly normal for a DBA pedal. Using the light setting with the reverb below 10 o'clock is a surprisingly good spring sound. 10 - 12 is a nice washed out spring that almost sounds like it has some modulation on it. After 2 o'clock its like the Ghost Echo and the pre delay bugs me.

The dark setting is where the crazy can really come in. It doesn't get too wet until after 12, before that its like a dark hall setting. I personally am not a fan of these settings, but have a buddy that when ever he uses my rig goes right for this sound. After 12 o'clock with the altitude turned up its like a crashing, speaker ripping distorted reverb. If you like APTBS you can tell Oliver Ackermann created this pedal.

In practicality, I usually use this pedal on the light setting as a washed out spring reverb. It does not do the long ambient thing. Giving the strings a good smack gets some nice noisy crashes, but its still pretty when I lessen my attack. The light setting is also good with a vibrato pedal. This with a bit of overdrive kills my want of a Generation loss or similar lofi pedals. One of my favorite sounds on this pedal is the dark setting, with the altitude all the way up with my EHX B9 (organ pedal) going into it. Very Boards of Canada. I have a bunch of song ideas on my phone from doing this that i'll eventually get around to finishing.

Its on my second, noisier board with a Keeley Loomer for other reverbs currently. The Monument is there as well. The Monument and RM work well together if you are into stuff like Spacemen 3 or Brian Jonestown Massacre. If I had room for two reverbs i'd pair this with the Flint though. The Flint for ambient and pretty, the RM for abrasive.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:50 am

Just watched a bunch of demos of that Flint on the 80s setting and OMFG it sounds gorgeous. I feel torn now because I want to upgrade to a nicer reverb and I like having options but I also don't seem to care much for the other flint settings but that one is like the ultimate. I've been looking at the Meris Mercury 7 because it seems to sound great and also has that infinite button. I also currently have the Fathom and one of my favorite things on it is using that sustain button to engage endless verb only for certain parts. I hate that on the Fathom it doesn't latch so you have to press it down the whole time though.

All of what I watched on Youtube got me very interested in the Reverberation Machine as well. I am not familiar with the Belton style reverbs you mention. I've watched demos of the Ghost Echo and it never seemed like "my thing" if that makes sense but the RM seems to sound much better at that same sound.

Well shit. I have a ton of drives and fuzzes maybe I should sell a few of the unnecessary ones and buy a few of these reverbs and try em out myself. Our local shops here in East TN don't carry too much good stuff unless they happen to get something in used so I fear that my only opportunity would be to drive to Nashville (probably not gonna happen anytime soon) or just bite the bullet and then sell the ones I don't end up using.

Domm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Domm » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 am

Neunaber wet mono. I've had over 50 reverb pedals some multiple times! But I always come back to my 3 knob wet mono! It doesn't fuck with your core sound, does subtle to lush with some weird thrown in on the far parameters of the knobs. Also has trails/no trails option.
Just a great pedal

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:12 pm

i keep saying i wanna get another boss rv5. it's not the most "hifi" reverb, but it's got a quality of it's own
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

carron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by carron » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:35 pm

I am using the Source Audio Ventris on one board and it is super versatile. It can do all of the ambient and shoegazy washes that I need. It can also do subtle reverb and a very realistic Spring reverb. I now have the Walrus SLO in my mini pedalboard and I love it, it is a dream machine, but it’s not really suited for subtle reverb, so with my mini board I use the amp reverb for that.

kaboodle45
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kaboodle45 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIyxm4WRbmQ

I can't stop thinking about getting a Rooms

mazzjaster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mazzjaster » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 am

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:49 am
I have a Meris Mercury 7 for the end of my board and it’s great. I haven’t really tapped into everything it will do, but I found a sound that works well in stereo and keep it there. There’s a lot of depth with the Meris pedals.
+1 for the Mercury 7. The sound design on that pedal is perfect. Lush, organic and versatile. I recommend the 4 button preset switch or a midi controller to get EVEN MORE sounds.

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:22 am

I only ever used to use the reverb on my amps till I got myself an old Selmer Treble & Bass that has no reverb so... I first got an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail (the old Big Bix version) which was great, but then I discovered the Boss Fender FRV-1. Fantastic, so springy and wet!

I really haven't used that many reverb pedals apart from the Holy Grail and FRV-1 so I have to say that they are my favourites!
However, I now use a Boss RV-5 that I got cheap just to use as an effect now that I am using a Laney Lionheart head which has reverb - not very deep though. The RV-5 is used to kick in some extra cavernous space.

I also quite like the reverb that's hidden in the Strymon El Capistan, and use that from time to time (via the favourite switch) for even more splash!

storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by storyboardist » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:07 am

I've been really digging my Native Audio Ghost Ridge. Loads of sounds out of it and a really simple design but still has a bunch of features.

https://youtu.be/xf3W0j08kvQ
effectslayouts.com

onebigholiday
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by onebigholiday » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Big fan of the EQD Ghost Echo, which what I currently use (it's almost more of a delay pedal though).

I've owned a bunch... many have great features, just depends what you're looking for.

Fender Tre-Verb (would buy again, great mod setting!)
MXR Reverb (would buy again, great all around)
Source Audio True Spring (best spring reverb ever)

I've owned the following, but don't really miss:
Boss FRV-1
Boss RV-3
Caroline Meteore
Lotus Pedals F*ck Cancer Iceverb
EHX Holy Grail (Big Box)
EHX Cathedral
EHX Holy Grail Neo

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:52 pm

The Ghost Ridge does look interesting. I like the way the controls are setup to utilize the features, especially the presets

I just went through a round of reverbs, and the Meteore is still my anchor reverb. I like it almost always on, mid-chain, with the drive and mix at 9 o'clock and the size and regen at 11 or 12. I can jack the mix and size up to get a surfier tone or bring up the regen and drive for a lo-fi one.

I also tried the Meteore before dirt, and while it sounded brilliant with overdrive and for messy shoegazer tones, the pre-delay got in the way with distortion on more dialed down sounds. A Ghost Echo oddly enough did a little better with this because I could adjust the pre-delay to get more separation between the attack and reflection. Right now I've got an Afterneath there. I really didn't much like the Afterneath the first time I tried it, and it still sounds odd on many settings, but it blends particularly well with other pedals, can be dialed in so many different ways, and the pre-dirt position moderates some of its odder tonal character. I tried a Bloodmoon there as well, and if I end up disliking the Afterneath, I'd consider going back to it—simpler to deal with, sounds gorgeous, and a lot of range for three knobs. I'd be curious to know if someone here has run a Levitation pre-dirt and how that sounds.

A Dispatch Master is near the end of my chain right now too. It's clearly extra given the other reverbs and delays on the board, and I'd consider replacing it with some sort of multieffect, but it excels at making everything washy and huge with just one click.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:53 pm

First decent reverb was the Cathedral then went and tried a bunch of others and kept going back to the cathedral, the genuine sound and flexible controls always had me coming back whenever I strayed. Now I have two of them. >_>
If OSG has tort me anything...