Favortie Electro-Harmonix Pedal?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
FiestaRed335
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Favortie Electro-Harmonix Pedal?

Post by FiestaRed335 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:45 am

My DMM is the only pedal I have ever regretted selling.

I love the Small Clone. Currently I'm loving the Big Muff Reissues. I have a Green Russian but also love the Ram's Head

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Now that I've been reunited with an Electric Mistress (the small-box Deluxe EM), it's tied with the DMM again.
Last edited by Maggieo on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:17 pm

There was a time - some 8-10 years ago - when the guitarist of a befriended band said that he would make his entire pedalboard out of EHX effects if he could only afford it (he just bought the micro synth if I remember correctly). That inspired me to try the same... with only very moderate success.

Over the years I have had a beautiful Big Box Pulsar and later the more recent version (just couldn't get those Fender Amp-Trem sounds out of it), also a Soul Food (cool as a boost, didn't like it as an Overdrive), a Signal Pad, a Ravish Sitar, the Cathedral Reverb and a Freeze, and I borrowed or at least tried the POG 2, the regular POG and the Octave Multiplexer, various Big Muffs (Russian, NYC big boxes, the green reissue, the Bass Big Muff and the one with the Tone Wicker), the Satisfaction Fuzz (which wasn't satisfying at all), the Good Vibes with their Expression pedal, and also their Wailer Wah and the Crying Tone (The Good Vibes was cool, the concept of the crying tone was great - but I needed one for my pedal board, the Wailer Wah should have been this solution but sounded pretty lame compared - and also felt super cheap)

Generally saying: all their old shiny big box pedals look really cool! Love them very much! :-*
Their newer smaller enclosures on the other hand are mostly "okay" - but only very few are actually pretty.
Owning a Big Box Deluxe Memory Man would be a dream coming true - but I got a modded Behringer Vintage Time Machine (all black, with an infinity switch), an Echo Dream 2, a Fernweh diy kit and...yeah a Roland 201 Space Echo - so for now I got this "Tape Style Analogue Delay/Echo" sector covered! 8) And also I never tried an original one - therefore out of competition!

My number one (even though I sold it) would still be the Cathedral! Great sounds - but I hated accidentally touching it when activating another pedal close to it (which happened a lot) - and I would have loved a feature where the infinity switch is improved - it felt like beside that one note the signal becomes dry out of a sudden. Maybe the Oceans 11 or 12 would be better for me - but I'm not in the market for a "new" pedal right now! So don't tempt me! ;-)
Second would be the only EHX thing I still own - which happens to be the Freeze - a great and inspiring pedal (but it's not on my main board).
Third place goes to the POG (POG 2 had too much to mess around with)

Honorable mention: Ravish Sitar. I only had it for 2 or 3 weeks - desperately tried to get it useful within the band-setting (back then: power trio, tuned to Drop C#) - but it just wouldn't work. Would have been the most expensive song-intro ever anyhow! :-P -
I still wish there would be a less extreme version of the Ravish Sitar. And don't say Swami Sitar - this doesn't sound like a sitar at all!
And last but not least Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai I was always tempted - but for a Reverse Delay alone it always was too big and too expensive for me.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:31 pm

i love my big box pulsar. it's just been my go to trem for a year now. it's that good.

i love the big box deluxe memoryman but i actually think the behringer vintage time machine works better for me.

i recently got a big muff with tone wicker and that's kinda became my go to big muff.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:12 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:17 pm
for a Reverse Delay alone...
No, not even the reverse delay is a reverse delay alone! ;D I can count three things that does: -reverse delay, -granular reverb, -dial up modem ring mod.
Then it has three other delay types and a looper, each with equal variation.

echo> -tape delay, >reverb, >resonant steel drum thing.
mod> siren noises, chorus, flanger
Multitap> (NOT a multi-tap delay) stutter, swelled 'verb', reverse footswitch
looper: only i know so intuitively with filter, varispeed, and 'decay' (attenuates previous loops), although the decay is annoying when you're in a different mode.
+no pitch modulation with 'time' it is an unusual stutter effect. you can set up the echo as the looper with feedback up, but stutter the loop with the tap footswitch.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:35 pm

For my guitar, it's the Electro-Harmonix Oceans 11 Reverb.

For my bass, it's the Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:43 am

The great thing about EHX is they never stop putting out creative products; stuff that pushes the envelope.
Mike Matthews is a cool dude, who really loves his job.
If you stop paying attention to them for a few months, you can go check out their site and find out they just kept trucking and there are suddenly a dozen new pedals released.

Some of their products are very niche and hard to use in every day situations, but the potential for recording outlandish sounds is more than fulfilled by their line, and if you want normal stuff, they do plenty of that too.

Also, their prices have always been reasonable over the years. The only time they charge big bucks is for units that do a lot of different things or are actual complex builds.

You'll never see a $300 fuzz from them.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

burntumber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burntumber » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:43 am

You'll never see a $300 fuzz from them.
I like how they keep the nyc big muff at $100 or so.

That's probably their best selling pedal, and it sure beats the DS-1.

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:16 pm

You know what? Having just received a Green Russian RI today, I badly need to revise my choice above

pad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 am

For me it is defiantly the stereo big box memory man. It sounds totally awesome!
(I had the equal 5 knob version and i choose to keep the stereo MM!!!)
The second one is my FIRST pedal: bubble font russian big muff. Still sounds perfect!