recent pedal scores

Everyone needs a stompbox.
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: recent pedal scores

Post by shoule79 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Since Covid began:

JHS Kilt: my 9 year old discovered grunge last autumn, and he was playing lots of it around the house. He likes Bush. Listening to it made me want an Expandora. Couldn’t find an original, bought this instead.

JHS Angry Charlie: JHS again. I been missing my Shredmaster and wanted a high gain Marshall in a box. I got on the list for a King of Gear Oxford Drive, but not knowing when my numbers coming up, I jumped at this for a good price when it came up locally. It didn’t disappoint. Sitting on my main board at the moment.

DOD 250: another good deal locally. Had one years ago, sold it. Bought a EQD Gray Channel, Hated it. Bought this, love it. Haven’t stuck it on a board yet, but it’s going on one soon.

JHS Morning Glory: yup, JHS again. Got offered this in a trade last week, liked the other two so much decided to take it. Really digging it so far. It’s probably going to go on my main board for awhile.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:56 pm

My two most recent:

Euthymia Crucible Fuzz - a silicon Fuzz Face variant with BC109Cs. I was after that early John Squire thing and this nails it. In fact with the fuzz dimed it’s a little much and needs to be backed off just a bit.

Suhr Kokoboost V1- Clean mid boost on one side and clean full range boost on the other. Silent switching, and stepping on one side turns the other off. I love boosts and this is a good one.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:12 am

shoule79 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:02 pm
Since Covid began:

JHS Kilt: my 9 year old discovered grunge last autumn, and he was playing lots of it around the house. He likes Bush. Listening to it made me want an Expandora. Couldn’t find an original, bought this instead.

JHS Angry Charlie: JHS again. I been missing my Shredmaster and wanted a high gain Marshall in a box. I got on the list for a King of Gear Oxford Drive, but not knowing when my numbers coming up, I jumped at this for a good price when it came up locally. It didn’t disappoint. Sitting on my main board at the moment.

DOD 250: another good deal locally. Had one years ago, sold it. Bought a EQD Gray Channel, Hated it. Bought this, love it. Haven’t stuck it on a board yet, but it’s going on one soon.

JHS Morning Glory: yup, JHS again. Got offered this in a trade last week, liked the other two so much decided to take it. Really digging it so far. It’s probably going to go on my main board for awhile.
What was your issue with the Gray Channel? I've had quite a few EQD pedals over the years, some I love (Hoof, Space Spiral) and some I've absolutely hated (Spires, Sea Machine). I've never played a 250 but I know the GC is supposed to be their take on it right? I've almost bought one several times but never had the chance to play it so I'm curious what the main difference you hear between it and the 250 making one good and the other not.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:46 am

Everything, save the Belle Epoch, is a recent score:

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:29 pm

tune_link wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:12 am
shoule79 wrote:
Since Covid began:

What was your issue with the Gray Channel? I've had quite a few EQD pedals over the years, some I love (Hoof, Space Spiral) and some I've absolutely hated (Spires, Sea Machine). I've never played a 250 but I know the GC is supposed to be their take on it right? I've almost bought one several times but never had the chance to play it so I'm curious what the main difference you hear between it and the 250 making one good and the other not.
Yeah, its their take on the 250. It has some of the character, but overall, its just too dark and bassy sounding.

My old 250 always had me torn as what to use it for, I liked it as an edge of breakup overdrive, and with the gain almost on full it was a good, classic rock type distortion. It gets a bit fuzzy on full. It also stacked with other drives very well. It was a pedal that could get me the old Bailter Space overdriven sound, or the Boston saturated distortion. It was a jack of all trades pedal, and a good one at that.

I thought that the GC could be my only dirt pedal on my small board because of how much I liked my old DOD. One channel for low gain OD, the other for distortion. The GC just kind of had a woofy sound with the gain turned low. There wasn't much variety in the sound on the gain until about 2 o'clock. The last quarter of the gain knob it got better, but never sounded like my old one. Still kind of flubby. Silicon and Germanium transistors were the best two modes, and they were on the same channel.

It may have been fine with an EQ pedal after it, but that didn't save me any space, and I generally don't have issues sculpting the sound of my guitar/amp with other pedals. I play mostly a Tele/JM or Jag with the default single coil pickups through BF Fender voiced amps. I should need a dark pedal. It was so dark that I still found it too bassy with my rig. Tried it once with my Firebird and Riviera (humbuckers) and that was a big nope. Never bothered using it outside the house because I was afraid of the flubby bass making it sound like mush in an ensemble.

Great idea, well built pedal, but not for me.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:07 am

shoule79 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:29 pm
tune_link wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:12 am
shoule79 wrote:
Since Covid began:

Yeah, its their take on the 250. It has some of the character, but overall, its just too dark and bassy sounding.

My old 250 always had me torn as what to use it for, I liked it as an edge of breakup overdrive, and with the gain almost on full it was a good, classic rock type distortion. It gets a bit fuzzy on full. It also stacked with other drives very well. It was a pedal that could get me the old Bailter Space overdriven sound, or the Boston saturated distortion. It was a jack of all trades pedal, and a good one at that.

I thought that the GC could be my only dirt pedal on my small board because of how much I liked my old DOD. One channel for low gain OD, the other for distortion. The GC just kind of had a woofy sound with the gain turned low. There wasn't much variety in the sound on the gain until about 2 o'clock. The last quarter of the gain knob it got better, but never sounded like my old one. Still kind of flubby. Silicon and Germanium transistors were the best two modes, and they were on the same channel.

It may have been fine with an EQ pedal after it, but that didn't save me any space, and I generally don't have issues sculpting the sound of my guitar/amp with other pedals. I play mostly a Tele/JM or Jag with the default single coil pickups through BF Fender voiced amps. I should need a dark pedal. It was so dark that I still found it too bassy with my rig. Tried it once with my Firebird and Riviera (humbuckers) and that was a big nope. Never bothered using it outside the house because I was afraid of the flubby bass making it sound like mush in an ensemble.

Great idea, well built pedal, but not for me.
I think that settles it for me then. I also play through a BF Fender (Twin in my case). Typically with a Jag or JM as well. I think your in depth analysis here pretty much covered all of the things I might have wanted the Gray Channel for as well. Was also thinking of saving space by having two ODs in one pedal and being able to switch from a low gain setting to a higher one but that sounds like you tried that and it was a no go. Flubby tone is def something I'm looking to avoid as well. Thanks again for the input!

kaboodle45
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kaboodle45 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Just got an Eldritch Blast in today, an insanely gnarly fuzz pedal from Mask Audio Electronics and Electronic Audio Experiments. And the other day a Hilbish Sol Invictus (a 2 channel preamp/distortion that emulates a Sunn amp) and Boss Slicer SL-20 came in. It's been a good week, pedal-wise

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Boss DD-8 for my bass board. I loved my DD-3 years ago when I first started playing, and had no worries at all about getting another Boss delay. The 40-second looper is what sealed the deal for me. It's replacing an EHX Grand Canyon (smaller footprint, better sounding delay to me).
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:23 pm

Got the Super Duper and Unpleasant Surprise this week (for a hundo each!)... had to test them out with my current go-to Muff, both are absolute keepers!

I’ve always been an LPB fan, somehow never tried a SHO in all my years playing guitar... :whistle:

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:40 am

I just bought a Seymour Duncan 805, which is my first TS type pedal ever. I like that you can adjust the treble, mids and bass. It is definitely cool and I got for a steal at my local Sam Ashe.