How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1184
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Bremen, Germany

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by Zork » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 am

Like many here I also own a shit ton of dirt. I'm only using two on my board atm and gave two to my guitarist to use them, the rest sits on the shelf, waiting patently. As opposed to any other type of effects, I hardly ever sell a dirt pedal because in recording sessions, every ever so far out dirt pedal might come in handy for that specific extra. I just keep them and pull that sound out if I need it. With modulations or delay, they always come and go.

User avatar
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by tune_link » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:06 am

Zork wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 am
Like many here I also own a shit ton of dirt. I'm only using two on my board atm and gave two to my guitarist to use them, the rest sits on the shelf, waiting patently. As opposed to any other type of effects, I hardly ever sell a dirt pedal because in recording sessions, every ever so far out dirt pedal might come in handy for that specific extra. I just keep them and pull that sound out if I need it. With modulations or delay, they always come and go.
I feel this thing about recording sessions especially. When I got the EQD Terminal I couldn't make it sound too good on its own and it isn't quite versatile enough to sit on my live board. However, I have used it almost every time I go into the studio since I bought it because it stacks beautifully on certain settings to achieve some super gnar sounding blown out tones. The switch on mine is especially loud/clicky so I don't think I could bear to hear it turned off and on too often but for what it does well I can't imagine ever selling it at this point.

User avatar
del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1223
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:57 am
Location: rusted jack-knife

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by del » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:27 am

I currently have the following fuzz/distortions:

Chicago Stompworks Green Ringer
Danelectro D-1 Fab Distortion
Devi Ever OK
Devi Ever Soda Meiser
DOD 250 (x2)
Dunlop germanium Fuzz Face (x2)
Dunlop silicon Fuzz Face JH-F1
Lovepedal MKIII
Lovepedal Champ
Prescription Electronics Yardbox
ProCo Rat II (x2)
Reuss Muzzbox
Way Huge Red Llama (x2)

There are only a few on that list that I've played for more than five minutes in the last year (and most I didn't touch at all). Maybe that defines "enough."

Edit to add:
ZVEX Sonar - a tremolo that includes a Machine fuzz circuit
Fulltone '70
Caroline Kilobyte - a delay, but the pre-amp can be isolated and is a great fuzzy overdrive.
Last edited by del on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Fall – The Bad Seeds - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 10898
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am

OK, let me see:

Dwarfcraft The Great Destroyer
Z Vex Fuzz Factory
Z Vex Box Of Metal
ProCo Rat ('86)
Op-Amp Big Muff
Triangle Big Muff
J Rockett IKON
JHS-modded Soul Food
DOD 250
DOD Looking Glass Overdrive
Joe Gore Cult Germanium Overdrive
Joe Gore DUH Remedial Fuzz
Fulltone '69 Germanium Fuzz
JHS Colorbox
Dwarfcraft Plane Ticket
Dwarfcraft Plane Ticket Plus!
Supreaux
Danelectro French Toast Octave Fuzz
MXR Blue Box
Danelectro The Breakdown
Strymon Deco
Prescription Electronics Yardbox

And my friend Nick is building me a surprise Germanium-based fuzz something.

Holy shit. :fp:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by tune_link » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:07 am

del wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:27 am
I currently have the following fuzz/distortions:

Chicago Stompworks Green Ringer
Danelectro D-1 Fab Distortion
Devi Ever OK
Devi Ever Soda Meiser
DOD 250 (x2)
Dunlop germanium Fuzz Face (x2)
Dunlop silicon Fuzz Face JH-F1
Lovepedal MKIII
Lovepedal Champ
Prescription Electronics Yardbox
ProCo Rat II (x2)
Reuss Muzzbox
Way Huge Red Llama (x2)

There are only six on that list that I've played for more than five minutes in the last year (and most I didn't touch at all). Maybe that defines "enough."
Tell me about the Devi OK! The Soda Meiser is in half of the Rocket that I own and I LOVE it. I would probably buy a ton more Devi stuff if I could find it to just buy outright somewhere like I did with the Rocket. My understanding is that Devi doesn't make pedals anymore anyway and you have to buy them from someone that makes them from kits or some weird thing like that. Otherwise I would have already gotten a Torn Speaker and maybe at least one more fuzz.

User avatar
fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: district of columbia

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by fever606 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:45 am

tune_link wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:07 am
Otherwise I would have already gotten a Torn Speaker and maybe at least one more fuzz.
There are a couple Torns' on Reverb... that's probably your best bet, honestly. I think the Life is Unfair guy produces some Devi (or Devi-inspired) pedals out of Wales, so that might be an option too...

User avatar
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by tune_link » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:13 am

fever606 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:45 am
tune_link wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:07 am
Otherwise I would have already gotten a Torn Speaker and maybe at least one more fuzz.
There are a couple Torns' on Reverb... that's probably your best bet, honestly. I think the Life is Unfair guy produces some Devi (or Devi-inspired) pedals out of Wales, so that might be an option too...
Would those be the ones I see on Reverb listed as CMYK Devi pedals or something like that? I contemplated buying another Rocket from whoever was doing that because whoever it is now makes a version where the switches are moved to a more out of the way spot. I never use the Rocket's trem function but I'm a big fan of the chaos switch. I accidentally engage both of them often enough when I don't mean to that I really could use a version where some more thought was given to the placement of the switches for those functions (instead of them being so close to the footswitch that they're easily kicked on.

User avatar
del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1223
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:57 am
Location: rusted jack-knife

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by del » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:05 pm

tune_link wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:07 am
Tell me about the Devi OK! The Soda Meiser is in half of the Rocket that I own and I LOVE it. I would probably buy a ton more Devi stuff if I could find it to just buy outright somewhere like I did with the Rocket. My understanding is that Devi doesn't make pedals anymore anyway and you have to buy them from someone that makes them from kits or some weird thing like that. Otherwise I would have already gotten a Torn Speaker and maybe at least one more fuzz.
The Devi Ever OK is a heavily gated and intense, rippy fuzz. It sounds very different based on where it is in your signal chain, such that when it comes after buffered or boosted pedals, the gate/stutter is reduced and the intensity of the fuzz is enhanced. This video does a good job of capturing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmP3Jbk3LTc

I like it very much, but don't have much use for it lately. It's a youthful pedal, for sure :D and I'm feeling less that of late ;) :freako:
Last edited by del on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Fall – The Bad Seeds - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

User avatar
kaboodle45
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:41 am
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by kaboodle45 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:21 pm

I just counted, I'm currently at 21 dirt boxes

User avatar
peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: DC...OK, Arlington.
Contact:

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by peterherman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:56 pm

Yeah...

I just picked up a Keeley Tesla MkIII off FB Marketplace. So add that one, I guess.

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by ElephantDNA » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:52 pm

tune_link wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:07 am
del wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:27 am
I currently have the following fuzz/distortions:

Chicago Stompworks Green Ringer
Danelectro D-1 Fab Distortion
Devi Ever OK
Devi Ever Soda Meiser
DOD 250 (x2)
Dunlop germanium Fuzz Face (x2)
Dunlop silicon Fuzz Face JH-F1
Lovepedal MKIII
Lovepedal Champ
Prescription Electronics Yardbox
ProCo Rat II (x2)
Reuss Muzzbox
Way Huge Red Llama (x2)

There are only six on that list that I've played for more than five minutes in the last year (and most I didn't touch at all). Maybe that defines "enough."
Tell me about the Devi OK! The Soda Meiser is in half of the Rocket that I own and I LOVE it. I would probably buy a ton more Devi stuff if I could find it to just buy outright somewhere like I did with the Rocket. My understanding is that Devi doesn't make pedals anymore anyway and you have to buy them from someone that makes them from kits or some weird thing like that. Otherwise I would have already gotten a Torn Speaker and maybe at least one more fuzz.
I messaged you about some stuff I have in my collection that might interest you. Let me know.

User avatar
fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: district of columbia

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by fever606 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:57 pm

tune_link wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:13 am
Would those be the ones I see on Reverb listed as CMYK Devi pedals or something like that?
Yeah, Devi Ever Cymru (which is Welsh for Wales). I dunno if there’s a licensing deal or if he’s just filling a void in the marketplace since Devi is out of the game...

The couple Life is Unfair pedals I’ve played were well built, for whatever that’s worth...

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by jorri » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:05 am

fever606 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:57 pm
tune_link wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:13 am
Would those be the ones I see on Reverb listed as CMYK Devi pedals or something like that?
Yeah, Devi Ever Cymru (which is Welsh for Wales). I dunno if there’s a licensing deal or if he’s just filling a void in the marketplace since Devi is out of the game...

The couple Life is Unfair pedals I’ve played were well built, for whatever that’s worth...
They are selling but don't know what affiliations. Did she give her designs for free public use when quitting? These Welsh ones look new and everything like an actual company building them there.
Was always one for publishing free schematics and DIY kits of devi pedals. In fact I bought a couple and realised many are the same PCB with minor switchable differences like flipping a transistor or a resistor here and there. Still got it somewhere, it's loosely a 'shoegazer' with rotary switches for a few different devi pedals and some not quite right out of 6 x2 'types' because they had a bit too many changes. I could never quite integrate it into a mix, a bit too chaotic.

User avatar
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 am
Location: London....the one in Canada

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by shoule79 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:13 am

shoule79 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:57 pm
I usually have a lower gain OD on my board and a fuzz/distortion feeding into an amp slightly breaking up. However I have a problem and have too many dirt pedals.

J Rockett Archer
Keeley Loomer
DOD 250
JHS Morning Glory
JHS Kilt
JHS Angry Charlie
EQD Plumes
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Fulltone OCD
Proco Rat
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Boss SD-1
Boss DF-2
Boss HM-2
Boss HM-3
Boss MT-2
Boss BD-2
Boss OD-2
Boss FZ-3
Boss DS-1
EHX Soul Food
EHX Op amp Big Muff
Tech 21 XXL

The really sad thing is that I sold a couple this past week too.
Found a metal muff tucked behind a couple delays on my pedal shelf :fp: I can’t even keep track of what I own currently, im impressed by everyone who remembers what they’ve had historically. Definitely sure I have a problem now.

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 4973
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: How many fuzzes/distortions is "enough"

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:30 am

I can’t even keep track of what I own currently, im impressed by everyone who remembers what they’ve had historically. Definitely sure I have a problem now.
Yeah, I need 3 to get the sounds I want, then a couple of backups, and a few of the classics whether I use them or not.

Hendrix seemed to manage to do a lot with just the one.

Post Reply