Buffer pedals

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jorix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Buffer pedals

Post by Jorix » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:41 pm

Question, my pedalboard is growing rather large and i`m starting to notice that i`m losing clarity in the high end on the clean signal. I`ve changed the HOF reverb to buffered bypass and I feel that that helps a little. Now I`m contemplating a buffer pedal. Do you use buffer pedals and which one? I`m looking at the TC bonafide buffer. Greets from the Netherlands.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Buffer pedals

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:22 am

I don't currently use one, but I've considered it a few times. I think my tone would benefit from one as I have such a big board, but my tone never sounds bad either. I've got a couple Boss LS-2 switchers which I believe have one. TC makes good stuff, so you'd probably be fine there too! You could also make one, as they can be very simple circuits.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Jorix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jorix » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:30 am

I noticed a change in tone when turning all pedals off and then compare it to the sound plugged straight into the amp. It`s not to bad but noticible and my chain is getting longer and longer. (i`m now expecting a JPTR Fernweh to arrive)

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:18 am

I dont find the straight-to-amp tone can be retained but a buffer can make 'as much high end that sounds good'.
No specific buffer, to minimise space i use an active volume pedal Ernie Ball MVP. But its currently in my fx loop, i like it there, otherwise still messes with fuzz tones.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:40 am

I noticed the same, and I'm currently only using about 9 pedals. It bugged me out a little bit, but then I realized I hardly use 100% clean tones while playing gigs :D something is always on, so it's okay I guess
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

Jorix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jorix » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:28 am

I also asked the same question in a pedalboard facebookgroup an someone came up with :

also different cables and plugs "eats different frequencies" so in your board you should only run one kind of patch cables and plugs, so you doesn’t “hollowed” your sound.

I`m no electronical engineer but I don`t think this is possible, what do you people think?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Jorix wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:28 am
I also asked the same question in a pedalboard facebookgroup an someone came up with :

also different cables and plugs "eats different frequencies" so in your board you should only run one kind of patch cables and plugs, so you doesn’t “hollowed” your sound.

I`m no electronical engineer but I don`t think this is possible, what do you people think?
It’s possible in theory. I don’t think it’s going to effect much in reality unless the cables are unnecessarily long. Guitar cables induce capacitance, so that is what is the cause, but I think the comments extrapolate a lot from that.

The higher the capacitance of a cable, the less highs reach the amplifier. High-capacitance cables shift the resonance towards the lower frequencies, which dramatically alters tone.

This is measurable, but again, without a lot of really long, mismatched cables, I don’t think it’s going to “hollow” your tone. Cables can cut treble frequency or let more through, and you can hear that effect, but this hollow effect theory rings hollow to me. Especially since they included plugs as part of the issue.

lamp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lamp » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:26 pm

The solution to this that I’ve used for many years is “put a Boss pedal at the start of your chain”. Works a charm for me.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:02 pm

lamp wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:26 pm
The solution to this that I’ve used for many years is “put a Boss pedal at the start of your chain”. Works a charm for me.
This is the way.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Jorix wrote:

That is false. The capacitance would just sum together surely. Well i cant personally conceive what they mean anyway, or why having filters at different frequencies would hollow the sound...not that this is the outcome, its more that each extra length will LOWER the cutoff frequency, dependant by how much being based on the cable.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:00 pm

jorri wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:54 pm
Jorix wrote:

That is false. The capacitance would just sum together surely.
Yep, it's bullshit.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Jorix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jorix » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:45 am

jorri wrote:
Jorix wrote:

That is false. The capacitance would just sum together surely. Well i cant personally conceive what they mean anyway, or why having filters at different frequencies would hollow the sound...not that this is the outcome, its more that each extra length will LOWER the cutoff frequency, dependant by how much being based on the cable.
Tnx for all the awnsers.
So it`s smarter to go for a buffer then upgrade my cables? I`ve tested all the pedals and cables and there is no one that causes the problem on its own.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:13 am

Jorix wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:45 am
Tnx for all the awnsers.
So it`s smarter to go for a buffer then upgrade my cables? I`ve tested all the pedals and cables and there is no one that causes the problem on its own.
There's nothing wrong with upgrading your cables if you want to. I used to use cheap patch cables, and I now use better ones. I don't know that I noticed a huge difference, but I like having nice cables. But getting a buffer would probably do what you're looking to do more than new cables would...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:31 pm

Jorix wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:45 am
jorri wrote:
Jorix wrote:

Tnx for all the awnsers.
Not necessarily. It just means you dont have to match all the cables.
I use some low capacitance klotz before the amp.
Patch cables are whatever stays working since thats expensive to replace for so many and they are so short!
And where my buffer is i dont care too much but is unusual because thats in fx loop.

Advice is try it and take note of how it affects any drives. Something like fuzz face or rat can change a lot because impedance is part of their sound.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:56 pm

First, patch cables do make a difference. I tried EBS gold flats and Ernie Ball flats, and vastly preferred the latter over the former. The EBS had a thinner sound with a little bit more high end. I didn't like how the bass was stripped out. I was actually flabbergasted that a simple patch cable could cause such a pronounced difference in tone, but I A/B'd them over and over (just guitar > pedal > pedal > amp) and even with my eyes closed I could tell the difference every time. In a pedalboard with 10+ pedals I could also tell the difference. Now I have wired my whole board (12 pedals) with Ernie ball flats and a few good quality buffers and I have gotten very close to the straight guitar>amp sound when everything is bypassed. I cannot recommend the Ernie ball flat patch cables enough - they bend and twist with ease, have flat, low-profile connectors and just sound great. They also don't break the bank.

For buffers, I have a Neunaber Immerse MKII at the end of my chain, and a Polytune 3 Mini at the start. Other than a Boss PS-2 in the middle, everything else is true bypass. The Polytune 3 Mini made a significant improvement in the tone of my entire setup, so I definitely recommend it (another auditory difference I can easily tell with my eyes closed). My dirt pedals in particular sound a lot better after its buffer. It has the "bonafide buffer", and you can even turn it off if you like.