NPD: Yellow (Rat) Fever

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NPD: Yellow (Rat) Fever

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:47 am

Saw someone post one of these on Reddit, and because I am an impulsive twit, I had to have one too. It took like two days to get here from Japan (via FedEx) :w00t: I had a red one a year or two ago. These Ikebe Rats, made in China, are cool, but I feel like they are a little more fizzy than the vintage ones.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NPD: Yellow (Rat) Fever

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:06 pm

:?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:47 pm

That's just wrong.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:53 pm

And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:54 pm

Admittedly I've very much changed my tune on Rats since I started playing a Vox and got my unmarked Mr. Vermin. The two things were made for each other.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:47 pm
That's just wrong.
Oh, like you’ve never become transfixed by a piece of regular gear that comes in a quirky color? :P If these came in a nice shade of green I’d probably own three of them and get some WF Rat guts rehoused.

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:54 pm
Admittedly I've very much changed my tune on Rats since I started playing a Vox and got my unmarked Mr. Vermin. The two things were made for each other.
I have a Chicago Stompworks unmarked DOD 250. I like their stuff, but after trying a few clones (one of which I still have), I have gone back to the source: ProCo Rats. I love the aesthetic.

As for the sound... Vox eh? Yeah. I don’t really jive with Vox amps— it’s that whole “other players sound great with them but not me” deals. I just play with Fender amps and Rats sound great to me, mostly with my Jag, but also with my Kramer and Les Paul. Rats, like their rodent inspiration, are tough and versatile. I know the Rat Haterz hear cheesy metal and fizzy crap with Rats, but they’ve always been top-top for my needs.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:03 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Damn I just ordered and got the CSW red llama clone (sounds good) and was on the fence about ordering that one too. Very difficult for me to continue to hold out after that comment! I have too much dirt though...one of life's biggest questions here. Can you have enough dirt pedals?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 am

ElephantDNA wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:03 pm
One of life's biggest questions here. Can you have enough dirt pedals?
From the guy who just received like his seventh or eighth version of more or less the same pedal (I currently already have 2) clearly the answer is "NO." I believe everyone should at least try a Rat. Whether or not it will add that magic spice is up in the air, but chances are it will be fun to find out.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 am
ElephantDNA wrote:
One of life's biggest questions here. Can you have enough dirt pedals?
From the guy who just received like his seventh or eighth version of more or less the same pedal (I currently already have 2) clearly the answer is "NO." I believe everyone should at least try a Rat. Whether or not it will add that magic spice is up in the air, but chances are it will be fun to find out.
I've never played a real RAT, so I can't compare, but since you love the circuit I'm wondering if you've ever played an Arc Effects Soothsayer or a Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot. I've currently got a Lonely Robot and it's a very versatile circuit. The EQ alone is extremely interactive and unique.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:03 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 am
I'm wondering if you've ever played an Arc Effects Soothsayer or a Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot. I've currently got a Lonely Robot and it's a very versatile circuit. The EQ alone is extremely interactive and unique.
I haven't played either of those pedals. I'd like to claim that I have an orthodox fealty to ProCo Rat pedals, but I confess that I have strayed from the path of righteousness. At one point I had Freakshow Brown Rabbit and at another, a Smart People Factory Red Threat (which I *think* was also a Rat variation?). Anyway, two more 'boutique' pedal brands that have gone extinct. I totally remember watching Just Nick's gushing review of the Soothsayer and gassing for one, but... eh... ultimately it's just another Rat clone, and I can get most of those sounds with the stuff I have. :jacked:

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:39 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
I have a Chicago Stompworks unmarked DOD 250. I like their stuff, but after trying a few clones (one of which I still have), I have gone back to the source: ProCo Rats. I love the aesthetic.

As for the sound... Vox eh? Yeah. I don’t really jive with Vox amps— it’s that whole “other players sound great with them but not me” deals. I just play with Fender amps and Rats sound great to me, mostly with my Jag, but also with my Kramer and Les Paul. Rats, like their rodent inspiration, are tough and versatile. I know the Rat Haterz hear cheesy metal and fizzy crap with Rats, but they’ve always been top-top for my needs.
[/quote]

I felt the same way about Voxes for a long time until I got my AC15 and realized that the Top Boost channel was the source of all evils. Loving the Normal channel on it now after years on other things. Sounds killer with my Telecaster.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:41 am

ElephantDNA wrote:
stevejamsecono wrote:
Damn I just ordered and got the CSW red llama clone (sounds good) and was on the fence about ordering that one too. Very difficult for me to continue to hold out after that comment! I have too much dirt though...one of life's biggest questions here. Can you have enough dirt pedals?
They certainly seem like a good source of well-made popular circuits. Admittedly I've only played two version of the Rat, a stock Rat 2 that I got about ten years ago that seemed to have an overexaggerated version of the filter control that went from woofy crap to ear-piercing, and this one which the filter doesn't have as wide of a range. That being said, where it DOES go seems to fit my setup perfectly so I have no complaints, and I got one without the art which was nice and cheap.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS