Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help with Tape Delay Options

Post by Beltone » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Musjagjazz wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:34 pm
Thanks to all for the advice - ;D

I ordered the Nux Tape Core, should arrive late tomorrow, which is based on the Roland Space Echo.

Has 7 presets, which use tape heads 1, 2 or 3 separately then 1+2 together, 1+3 together, 2+3 together and finally 1+2+3, so 7 options in total.

There is tap tempo and if you hook it up to a computer, can adjust parameters and add reverb.
That looks cool. Hadn't heard of that one. Let us know how it sounds once you've spent some time with it.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:58 am

"When you press down the footswitch, then you are in space" - Nux Tape Core booklet

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am now floating in space due to the arrival of my new Nux Tape Core pedal, based on the Roland Space Echo. Thanks to dc for pointing this pedal out in the thread and to everyone else who replied to my questions.

Delivered Friday afternoon just after I shut down my work for the week, good timing UPS!

I have been enjoying playing slapback riffs on the 1st setting and dub/reggae type sounds on settings 2 and 3. It is doing what I want it to, which is all I can ask for.

There is a sound editor option but need to buy a proper usb cable to adjust wow, flutter, reverb, bass and treble. Will get more tape like sounds apparently but the 7 options are fine for me at the moment. The 8th setting is a 40 second looper, which you can overdub on top of as well.

I'm terrible at describing sounds and nuances, so I found a video where there is NO TALKING AND DOESN'T PUT YOU TO SLEEP WITH NEW-AGE-BORE-ROCK DELAY SOUNDS that a lot of delay demos have. This is one of the better pedal demos I've seen to show each setting during a song :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I2vKOcG7J_Y

Fuzzjunkie, not sure if you are still reading this thread but found a demo where it is paired up against a El Capistan:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... t3vk1-bd1Q

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:59 am

That was a strange comparison.

For most of the example, the El Capistan is in the Echoplex mode. He doesn’t put it into the Space Echo mode until the very end, and I had almost given up watching it at that point. The Space Echo and Echoplex sound different and use a different mechanism to record and playback. I have no idea why he would do that, and perhaps he doesn’t either? Some people prefer the Echoplex mode, which is fine, unless you’re comparing it to a Space Echo, then you’re wasting your time.

Strymon puts a “sheen” I guess that’s the best way to describe it, on the sound, trying to emulate the tone filtering that the preamp and magnetic tape imparts. It’s always a little bit exaggerated. A lot of people, that don’t have experience with a real tape echo, really like that and the crinkle and warble and hiss, or whatever other exaggerated tones they can control and add to the sound. Strymon isn’t the only one guilty of this. They are giving players what they want. An exaggerated sound. It’s just not the sound of tape. I actually turn most of that Way, Way down as the true sound is a Subtle enhancement rather than an exaggeration. The exaggeration is a cool sound though, and people like it, but to me it’s more of a special effect. Something that’s used sparingly.

The Nux is a bit on the other end of the spectrum. It’s far too clean. It does the job, providing nice delays and options to control them, but they don’t have that “enhancement.” The echoes are too clean an apparent.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:41 am

Thanks fuzzjunkie,

I didn't know the El Capistan was in the Echoplex mode as I don't know that pedal at all.

I've never played through a real tape echo, so as the delays sound good to me but as you say, they are too clean compared to a Roland Space Echo.

Will have to get a usb cable to see if I can mess with the sounds as there is a saturation setting as well as wow & flutter.
Perhaps it will sound closer with some adjustment.