Tremolo advice

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tremolo advice

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:39 pm

That's good to know. I might have to try one one of these days. As for the two switches, I'm surprised that Chase Bliss has been as popular as they are for so long. I don't have big feet, but hitting one and not the other sounds like a level of precision that I don't imagine a ton of players can hit during live playing.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:54 am

I'll add another vote for the Caroline Parabola: it does mellow and chop, both, very well. I think it has my favorite mellow tremolo and it's chop is excellent. Plus it has a nice pre-amp style overdrive capability should you want it and the "havoc" feature, which is a momentary footswitch that dramatically increases (maxes?) depth and speed.
This video is a good overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7KkRwoWVzk
It's a feature packed pedal that is very user friendly and simple to understand.

FWIW, I also concur that the best chop/repea- percussion style trem I've played is the EQD Hummingbird, but it is all chop and no warble so might be less useful for your needs.

I hope this is helpful.

~del
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:21 pm

You could maybe look at the EHX Mod11. I won't totally vouch for it, though. It does regular trem pretty well, but i personally don't use the other settings even though I was expecting to when purchasing it. I probably would have been better off just getting a $50 trem pedal for my needs.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:39 pm
That's good to know. I might have to try one one of these days. As for the two switches, I'm surprised that Chase Bliss has been as popular as they are for so long. I don't have big feet, but hitting one and not the other sounds like a level of precision that I don't imagine a ton of players can hit during live playing.
Yeah I had looked at that before settling on the valcoder. Definitely would have chosen v1 for this reason.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:32 am

I haven’t found a pedal that chops quite like a repeat percussion. It’s a function of the transistor in the repeat percussion that generates the sudden voltage peak and quick decay as it releases. I’ve been able to dial in something close on the Twin Peaks and the Parabola, but I’d go with a dedicated repeat percussion like the Hummingbird, Reuss, or Acid Fuzz versions if you want that specific sound. if you just want the ability to go from a pulse to hard chop, there are many other good options—I just tested a Subdecay Vagabond and that did well, and so does the Monument. My favorite is the Basic Audio Throbby. It’s dirt simple but sounds gorgeous and has a great useable range. Parabola is my second favorite. The volume and gain on that basically make it a boost and dirt pedal as well as a trem. It’s a very particular sound though.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Gavanti wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:32 am
I haven’t found a pedal that chops quite like a repeat percussion. It’s a function of the transistor in the repeat percussion that generates the sudden voltage peak and quick decay as it releases. I’ve been able to dial in something close on the Twin Peaks and the Parabola, but I’d go with a dedicated repeat percussion like the Hummingbird, Reuss, or Acid Fuzz versions if you want that specific sound. if you just want the ability to go from a pulse to hard chop, there are many other good options—I just tested a Subdecay Vagabond and that did well, and so does the Monument. My favorite is the Basic Audio Throbby. It’s dirt simple but sounds gorgeous and has a great useable range. Parabola is my second favorite. The volume and gain on that basically make it a boost and dirt pedal as well as a trem. It’s a very particular sound though.
I had the Acid Fuzz repeater and it, indeed, does the best chop of any of them. But, and it's a big one, it is really susceptible to fluctuating current flow. I never knew what I was going to get at a gig. We have a song that requires a very specific tempo to work -- our drummer is a real stickler at this -- and the Repeater failed me on so many occasions that I finally went for the Parabola (great chop, fair amount of gain; subtle if you want it), and eventually the Mattoverse Tremstortion (great chop, huge amounts of gain; eight? different waveforms; can also do any subtle trem you'd like).

The Reuss is good, too, but was largely unavailable when I was looking.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 am

I've had a TR-2 for a few years and put it aside and bought some more exotic Tremolo stuff.

In the end I sold it all kept the TR-2.

My TR-2 is new enough it doesn't have any volume issues, the volume is perfect.

The thing with the TR-2 is it has both a huge range and it's easy to dial in.

A lot of the fancy stuff doesn't do much the TR-2 can't do, or it's super subtle stuff no one can really notice.

So play the field but you might find a newer TR-2 that doesn't have volume issues is hard to beat.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 pm

Guitar center has TC Choka for $40 along with some others for Black Friday, and I heard it does chop well.