HM-2w in the works

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:22 am
Location: Chelmsford, UK

HM-2w in the works

Post by bubba899 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:18 am

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/boss-c ... sOv5jl31X0

As well as the new Waza pedal that's been teased, It looks like there's a Boss HM-2w in the pipeline, so two new Waza pedals to look forward to! They're even looking for input on the design. What would people like to see when it comes to the custom mode? Or any modifications to the original in general?

User avatar
Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:23 am
Location: The Hague, the Netherlands

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by Nick and the Noise » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:15 am

Cool! I've always wanted one. The sound of so many classic records, Swervedriver and HUM (and MBV of course) being my favourites.

Custom mode? Perhaps transform the EQ in a subtle hi-fi EQ instead of the balls to the walls V-curve?

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 5317
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 am

Where does the rumor that Kevin Shields used a Boss HM-2 come from and why does it continue to persist?

I saw them play live multiple times back in the day. Kevin never used a Boss HM-2. Other people did. He did not. I have heard that Bilinda used one live. I never saw that, but it could be being a Boss pedal that it was an easily sourced pedal replacement. Even if she did use it live, it wasn’t an important part of their “sound” for the simple reason that Kevin did not use one.
According to a roadie, for Loveless live shows he used – Digitec Whammy, Boss EH-2 enhancer, Boss PQ-4, 2 x Boss GE-7, Boss T-Wah, Pro-Co Turbo Rat, Roger Mayer Axis & Mongoose, Marshall Guv’nor, Jim Dunlop Roto-Vibe, Boss Tremolo/Pan (Boss PN-2 to be specific), Digitech PDS-8000 (now replaced by the Jamman), ADA Pre-amp, MidiVerb2 (made by Alesis for those who don’t know), SPX90 x 2 and 3 x JCM800’s (only 2 amps were actually running) JCM’s valved with EL34′s and ECC83‘s
I can confirm that is the set up I saw on multiple occasions. For a short time he had a 2nd Rat in place of the Marshall pedal and a Fuzz Face in place of the Axis fuzz. No HM-2.

The same goes for the Fender Blender rumors. He has one now. I believe gifted by his friend J Mascis, but not something he used on or before Loveless. He had one on his board, along with 209 other pedals during the reunion shows, but mostly for show, and not part of the MBV sound.

A Vox AC-30 was more important to the MBV sound than any of those pedals.

User avatar
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat
Posts: 5317
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:49 am

PS. Enjoy the HM-2. It makes a nice bass distortion. It can be used for shoegaze. Debbie Googe should have used one. Lots of people did. Just not Kevin Shields. Have fun with it.

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by ElephantDNA » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:34 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 am
Where does the rumor that Kevin Shields used a Boss HM-2 come from and why does it continue to persist?

I saw them play live multiple times back in the day. Kevin never used a Boss HM-2. Other people did. He did not. I have heard that Bilinda used one live. I never saw that, but it could be being a Boss pedal that it was an easily sourced pedal replacement. Even if she did use it live, it wasn’t an important part of their “sound” for the simple reason that Kevin did not use one.
According to a roadie, for Loveless live shows he used – Digitec Whammy, Boss EH-2 enhancer, Boss PQ-4, 2 x Boss GE-7, Boss T-Wah, Pro-Co Turbo Rat, Roger Mayer Axis & Mongoose, Marshall Guv’nor, Jim Dunlop Roto-Vibe, Boss Tremolo/Pan (Boss PN-2 to be specific), Digitech PDS-8000 (now replaced by the Jamman), ADA Pre-amp, MidiVerb2 (made by Alesis for those who don’t know), SPX90 x 2 and 3 x JCM800’s (only 2 amps were actually running) JCM’s valved with EL34′s and ECC83‘s
I can confirm that is the set up I saw on multiple occasions. For a short time he had a 2nd Rat in place of the Marshall pedal and a Fuzz Face in place of the Axis fuzz. No HM-2.

The same goes for the Fender Blender rumors. He has one now. I believe gifted by his friend J Mascis, but not something he used on or before Loveless. He had one on his board, along with 209 other pedals during the reunion shows, but mostly for show, and not part of the MBV sound.

A Vox AC-30 was more important to the MBV sound than any of those pedals.
Yeah that has just been a persistent rumor forever. But I've never been able to find a source for that either. Nothing he was doing sounds particularly like an HM2 to me.

User avatar
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by tune_link » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:36 pm

I’m trying to figure out why Boss wants our input on an HM2 Waza when that wasn’t asked for with any of the others? Boss is acting like people aren’t opinionated on any of their other pedals which we know is patently false.

At any rate, as a former HM-2 owner (mine was stolen after a gig a loooooong time ago and never replaced) I am def looking forward to buying the Waza version.

User avatar
loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:03 pm
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by loveinathens » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:24 am

I'd love it if it worked on regular 9v and had more output than the original.

User avatar
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:22 am
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by bubba899 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:02 am

tune_link wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:36 pm
I’m trying to figure out why Boss wants our input on an HM2 Waza when that wasn’t asked for with any of the others? Boss is acting like people aren’t opinionated on any of their other pedals which we know is patently false.

At any rate, as a former HM-2 owner (mine was stolen after a gig a loooooong time ago and never replaced) I am def looking forward to buying the Waza version.
It's an interesting point. I wonder if it's because the HM-2's appeal is maybe a bit more niche than say a BD-2. Perhaps they want to properly understand the people who are most likely to buy one.

The Waza series came out when I was still working in a guitar shop and the BD-2 and DM-2 sold like nobodies business, but despite the clamor on forums for the VB-2, barely anyone went for them by comparison. We actually over ordered on them because I was convinced they'd sell out in a week. But the original order was still there when I left the shop a year later. Not sure if that translates to lower sales in general, but if that's the case, maybe they're being more cautious? Just a theory though.

User avatar
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1751
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 am
Location: London....the one in Canada

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by shoule79 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:47 am

The custom mode should be a beat up, flaked paint job.



Or make it sound like a HM-3.

User avatar
ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by ElephantDNA » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:00 pm

bubba899 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:02 am
tune_link wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:36 pm
I’m trying to figure out why Boss wants our input on an HM2 Waza when that wasn’t asked for with any of the others? Boss is acting like people aren’t opinionated on any of their other pedals which we know is patently false.

At any rate, as a former HM-2 owner (mine was stolen after a gig a loooooong time ago and never replaced) I am def looking forward to buying the Waza version.
It's an interesting point. I wonder if it's because the HM-2's appeal is maybe a bit more niche than say a BD-2. Perhaps they want to properly understand the people who are most likely to buy one.

The Waza series came out when I was still working in a guitar shop and the BD-2 and DM-2 sold like nobodies business, but despite the clamor on forums for the VB-2, barely anyone went for them by comparison. We actually over ordered on them because I was convinced they'd sell out in a week. But the original order was still there when I left the shop a year later. Not sure if that translates to lower sales in general, but if that's the case, maybe they're being more cautious? Just a theory though.
I'm not too surprised by that. I think modulation stuff is always tougher sell. Particularly at this price point. I think there's a reason they seem to be going to distortion and fuzz. Definitely less niche, though hm-2 I guess is a bit niche for a distortion.

User avatar
tade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 am

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by tade » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:52 am

There are quite a few builders making their own version the HM-2, I’m pretty sure they won’t be short on suggestions, many of those based on what these builders are adding to the original circuit. I would expect an improvement over the output level and a mids control being the most common requests.
It’s going to be an interesting battle between Swedish death metal fans and David Gilmour worshipers, let the war begin!!!

User avatar
Vendetagainst
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by Vendetagainst » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:23 am

I am so down for this. As someone who enjoys both Swedish Death Metal and David Gilmour, this is so awesome that they did this. Even though Kevin Shields may not have owned one, it's still great for shoegaze and if you roll down the highs you get a great sludge metal tone. I probably won't get this on account of already owning a MIT HM-2, but this is super cool for the people who could never afford/find a MIJ one. I guess for the custom mode, it would be nice to have less fizz in the low end when turning down the highs. A mid boost would be killer too.

Hopefully they make the FZ-2w soon! I'm a huge Electric Wizard and MBV fan, so that would be a godsend considering that FZ-2s are more pricey nowadays than MIJ HM-2s!

User avatar
tade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 am

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by tade » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 am

Actually HM-2 are not that expensive or hard to come by. There are those asking insane amounts of money for them, but you can have one for around 80-100 euros easily.
FZ-2 are way more expensive and hard to find.

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 997
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by Veitchy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:59 pm

tade wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:52 am
It’s going to be an interesting battle between Swedish death metal fans and David Gilmour worshipers, let the war begin!!!
A tale as old as time...

User avatar
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Bremen, Germany

Re: HM-2w in the works

Post by Zork » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:18 am

It would be funny if the switch just set the pedal to the swedish chainsaw. Useless, but charming.

Post Reply