Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
jovima69
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by jovima69 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:29 pm

Hey all,

Saw an IG post today from Boss USA regarding a Waza Fuzz, perhaps an FZ-2? I am excited, even though the Behringer SF-300 nails the FZ-2 tone to my ears... Love the classics.

User avatar
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:22 am
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by bubba899 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:34 am

Yeah, looks like they're doing a new circuit, new to them at least, all together. Based on other pics on their social it's a three transistor germanium fuzz. Hopefully there's something in it that set's it apart from the others. Definitely interesting. I've got the FZ-2 and FZ-3 and will be excited to see what they come up with! You're right about the Behringer, I've got both and they're practically identical.

User avatar
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:22 am
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by bubba899 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:44 am

Well, wasn't expecting this!

https://www.boss.info/uk/products/tb-2w/

Image

A tiny bit disappointed they didn't do something a bit more unique to them, but also very into the idea of a legit MkII in a boss enclosure.

User avatar
Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by Trout » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:16 am

Very unexpected, but I'm intrigued. Any sound clips yet?
#sitdownrock found at https://soundcloud.com/oldguywithaview

User avatar
Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:23 am
Location: The Hague, the Netherlands

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by Nick and the Noise » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:40 am

Looks cool, love that hammered gray finish. Interesting idea to have a switch for the voltage. If this is a limited edition, it will be sold out in no time because of all those BOSS completists. My Fulltone Soul Bender which is a MKIII variant is my favourite fuzz. But for me, I don't think I also need a MKII - I know it sounds different but I'd probably miss the tone knob.

I don't like that these limited production runs are now a thing, but I guess that's the evolution of the market. I saw those Fulltone Ranger limited edition OC75 units came with a certificate in a carton tube signed by Mike Fuller. I mean come on, seriously? :fp:

User avatar
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:22 am
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by bubba899 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:58 am

Trout wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:16 am
Very unexpected, but I'm intrigued. Any sound clips yet?
Nothing yet, but they're doing a Boss talks video tomorrow I believe so Imagine something will appear then.
Nick and the Noise wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:40 am
Looks cool, love that hammered gray finish. Interesting idea to have a switch for the voltage. If this is a limited edition, it will be sold out in no time because of all those BOSS completists. My Fulltone Soul Bender which is a MKIII variant is my favourite fuzz. But for me, I don't think I also need a MKII - I know it sounds different but I'd probably miss the tone knob.

I don't like that these limited production runs are now a thing, but I guess that's the evolution of the market. I saw those Fulltone Ranger limited edition OC75 units came with a certificate in a carton tube signed by Mike Fuller. I mean come on, seriously? :fp:
Yeah it's frustrating. They say that it's limited because of the components, but it can't have escaped them they can charge what they like for a limited run. Will have to see how it's priced, but I'm not holding out much hope of snagging one.

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6394
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by mbene085 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:26 am

This is a smart move, the overlap of BOSS fans and Tone Bender fans ensures this will easily sell however many they care to produce. The hammered finish is a nice touch.

Is this the first time they've made a clone of another company's famous design? I'm no BOSS historian, but I was under the impression that they've always designed their own circuits.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9828
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:48 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:26 am
This is a smart move, the overlap of BOSS fans and Tone Bender fans ensures this will easily sell however many they care to produce. The hammered finish is a nice touch.

Is this the first time they've made a clone of another company's famous design? I'm no BOSS historian, but I was under the impression that they've always designed their own circuits.
I thought they always had something like clones, but were really discreet about it. I always thought that the DS-1 was a RAT or a muff, Blues Driver was based on the Tube Driver.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2366
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by jorri » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:25 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:48 am
mbene085 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:26 am
This is a smart move, the overlap of BOSS fans and Tone Bender fans ensures this will easily sell however many they care to produce. The hammered finish is a nice touch.

Is this the first time they've made a clone of another company's famous design? I'm no BOSS historian, but I was under the impression that they've always designed their own circuits.
I thought they always had something like clones, but were really discreet about it. I always thought that the DS-1 was a RAT or a muff, Blues Driver was based on the Tube Driver.
One is a distortion and the other is an overdrive...beyond that these are not clones.
And perhaps a Rat is actually closer to the tubescreamer schematically -perhaps.

User avatar
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1751
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 am
Location: London....the one in Canada

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by shoule79 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:59 am

I think they missed the boat here by not doing the FZ-2w. Its a fuzz they produced that is in high demand now. Seems like it would have been a no-brainer.

On the other hand, I pitched my FZ-2 as soon as prices got out of hand, and don't miss it, and I don't have a Tone Bender.

User avatar
peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1636
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: DC...OK, Arlington.
Contact:

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by peterherman » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:19 am

Interesting that they repeatedly refer to it as a "sonic recreation". Can't wait for the YouTubers and internet EEs to freak out that this can't possibly sound like a Tone Bender because it's got a buffer. Or a different switch. Or 3 different resistors. Or runs on a power supply. Or...

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 997
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by Veitchy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:47 pm

Not gonna lie, I was kinda looking forward to getting a FZ-2 without having to pay vintage prices. This is still cool though and I'm interested in hearing some sound clips.

Does this mean that Roland owns the rights to Tone Benders/Sola Sound, or is this a 'collaboration'?
Edit: a cursory search revealed that it's a collaboration.

User avatar
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 am
Location: middle of somewhere

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:54 pm

WTF

This is hilarious, are they for real? *checks to see if the date is the 1st of April*. But seriously I thought Waza Craft were meant to be pedals they'd already released with a new custom mode. This is more like an Angry Driver collab kinda deal. c-c-c-combo breaker.
If OSG has tort me anything...

User avatar
Jorix
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:34 am
Location: Groningen the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by Jorix » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:11 pm


User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9828
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Boss Waza Fuzz on the way

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:25 pm

That sounds better than I was expecting. I've never played an early-era Tone Bender circuit to compare, but I like it!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Post Reply