Question about oscillating fuzz

Everyone needs a stompbox.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Question about oscillating fuzz

Post by tune_link » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:20 am

Been looking the EQD Data Corrupter and its inspiration the Schumann PLL (clones not OG ones obviouly). From what I can tell both of them have an oscillator in them and can produce fuzz. If I was already thinking about adding something like a Fuzz Factory or a DBA Super Sonic Fuzz Gun to my arsenal, would it be redundant to have one of these if I also bought one of these nutso trackers since they can produce oscillating fuzz or is it completely different?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Question about oscillating fuzz

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:51 pm

I would say they are completely different things.

Circuits like the Fuzz Factory create oscillation by mis-biasing and overdriving transistors until they become unstable.

Circuits like the PLL work more like a Ring Modulation or Octave Divider by creating a separate sound wave and changing the phase relationship. This can result in octave and sub-octave harmonies, pulses, arpeggios and random oscillation that can be further controlled by voltage or LFO settings before being mixed together again.

In the Fuzz Factory the oscillation is a by product of creating the fuzz. In the PLL, the fuzz is created and then separated, manipulated, and then recombined.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question about oscillating fuzz

Post by tune_link » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:40 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:51 pm
I would say they are completely different things.

Circuits like the Fuzz Factory create oscillation by mis-biasing and overdriving transistors until they become unstable.

Circuits like the PLL work more like a Ring Modulation or Octave Divider by creating a separate sound wave and changing the phase relationship. This can result in octave and sub-octave harmonies, pulses, arpeggios and random oscillation that can be further controlled by voltage or LFO settings before being mixed together again.

In the Fuzz Factory the oscillation is a by product of creating the fuzz. In the PLL, the fuzz is created and then separated, manipulated, and then recombined.
Thanks! This was helpful, I think I’m gonna end up with both then at some point. Just gotta decide which I’d rather go for first.