I need some advice and recommendations.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I need some advice and recommendations.

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Here's another potential option.

https://www.simplifieramp.com/

This has everything but the power amp, and it has an effects loop. Take the preamp out to your power amp. Take the line level speaker emulated out(s) to the board or your interface.

If you don't need to go direct and power a cabinet at the same time AND you have a specific amp flavor in mind (Fender, Vox, Marshall, Hiwatt, Boogie) you could also look at the Tech 21 Character Series preamp pedals. The speaker emulation can be toggled on and off. You could either add a splitter after or just manually patch into the Magnum 44 when you want to use it.

I have the Tech 21 Blonde and I feel like the speaker emulation is... just ok though, which is why I added the Iconoclast to the mix.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:49 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:15 pm
Here's another potential option.

https://www.simplifieramp.com/

This has everything but the power amp, and it has an effects loop. Take the preamp out to your power amp. Take the line level speaker emulated out(s) to the board or your interface.

If you don't need to go direct and power a cabinet at the same time AND you have a specific amp flavor in mind (Fender, Vox, Marshall, Hiwatt, Boogie) you could also look at the Tech 21 Character Series preamp pedals. The speaker emulation can be toggled on and off. You could either add a splitter after or just manually patch into the Magnum 44 when you want to use it.

I have the Tech 21 Blonde and I feel like the speaker emulation is... just ok though, which is why I added the Iconoclast to the mix.
I was completely unaware of this but it sounds awesome. Analog, has a cab sim, direct out and it’s $100 cheaper? Yeah, I’m pretty sold.

One question though. Would I want to use the effects loop on the Simplifier regardless of whether I’m using the 44 magnum or not?
As in, if I were going to a speaker with the 44 magnum would I just put my reverb and chorus and such between the Simplifier and the 44 magnum as opposed to using the effects loop on the Simplifier as I would if I was direct recording?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:18 am

I think how/if you use the effects loop depends on what sound you’re going for and what your application is.

For example maybe you’re recording live and want to hear the reverb that you’re used to in the room, but you want to send a dry signal to the interface
for adding reverb in the box later you could put your reverb after the Simplifier instead of in the effects loop or before it.

68 Pedals has done a knockoff of this if you feel like rolling the dice.

I think the big advantages of the Simplifier are the i/o and variety of amp and speaker cab sounds available.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:03 am

I think I might have been overthinking this a bit. It occurred to me that I could ditch the power amp pedal entirely and just take the out from the simplifier to a small battery powered PA speaker instead of a speaker cabinet. That might be the route I take.