Welp, gonna be playing some Stooges. Need a wah.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Welp, gonna be playing some Stooges. Need a wah.

Post by Maggieo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:03 pm

zhivago wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:36 pm
I'd just get a used RMC4 or something...I bought a used one a while back and it's great.

It is the version with the buffer so you can use it before fuzz too.
That's what I've got, and second that it's great and can be placed before a fuzz.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 pm

raindog13 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:16 pm
Some pretty good ideas in here, thanks guys! I think I might look into one of those "Hendrix" wahs, or just modding my crybaby. I don't really use one enough to justify spending a small fortune on it, so I think I'll do some more digging on the modding idea first
The easiest and most reversible mod is to loosen the Chuck that holds the Rack (the toothed strip attached to the treadle) against the gear on the Potentiometer.

Rotate the pot a tooth or two (I think I settled on 2?) back from the factory setting. Viola! You have effectively changed the Q-center and reduced the treble while adding more bass. You’ll need to replace a *resistor (sorry, was thinking of sweep range, that’s a capacitor) if you want to increase the mids.

Still not good enough? Move it back and sell it. No one will ever know.
Last edited by fuzzjunkie on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:32 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 pm
raindog13 wrote:
Some pretty good ideas in here, thanks guys! I think I might look into one of those "Hendrix" wahs, or just modding my crybaby. I don't really use one enough to justify spending a small fortune on it, so I think I'll do some more digging on the modding idea first
The easiest and most reversible mod is to loosen the Chuck that holds the Rack (the toothed strip attached to the treadle) against the gear on the Potentiometer.

Rotate the pot a tooth or two (I think I settled on 2?) back from the factory setting. Viola! You have effectively changed the Q-center and reduced the treble while adding more bass. You’ll need to replace a capacitor if you want to increase the mids.

Yep. I have performed this on every wah I have ever owned :)

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:36 pm

I had a Dimebag Crybaby From Hell, it was sweet but a fair few knobs- no set and forget. Traded for a Jerry Cantrell sig and couldn't be happier.

raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raindog13 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:32 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 pm
raindog13 wrote:

Rotate the pot a tooth or two (I think I settled on 2?) back from the factory setting. Viola! You have effectively changed the Q-center and reduced the treble while adding more bass. You’ll need to replace a *resistor (sorry, was thinking of sweep range, that’s a capacitor) if you want to increase the mids.

I've done this more times than I can count, and just never came up with anything satisfactory, so I think it's time to tinker with the electronics a bit!

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:28 am

A bit counterintuitive maybe, but I have the cheap Vox Wah because I don't use one often and didn't wanna spend more than I had to on it, but it does the whole Asheton/Stooges-thing specifically very well.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raindog13 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:18 pm

ElephantDNA wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:23 pm
Generally I've preferred playing either: the "Hendrix" dunlop wah or actually I like bass wah a lot for guitar as well. Like that lower whooshiness if that's a word? Not sure. But those have been my wah go-tos for as long as I've been playing. I think that hendrix wah is supposed to be based on an old vox wah but not 100% sure.
Ceylon wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:28 am
A bit counterintuitive maybe, but I have the cheap Vox Wah because I don't use one often and didn't wanna spend more than I had to on it, but it does the whole Asheton/Stooges-thing specifically very well.
Zork wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:50 pm
If you still have the Vry Baby and know how to solder, this is a very good starting point: https://www.wah-wah.co.uk/diy.html
I modded the hell out of my Zakk Wylde Signature wah and it sounds great now. I even changed the transistors at one point. It's worth it.
The Ibanez Weeping Demon is huge and butt ugly, but very tweakable and sounds just very, very good. Can be used for bass and guitar and does modern and vintage tones and a lot in between.
Any chance you guys could take a good close up picture of the guts of your pedals so I can try to see the resistor bands?

HorseyBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HorseyBoy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:29 pm

If you're after something in the Cry Baby/Vox wah mould, you won't find better than a Castledine standard wah: https://www.wah-wah.co.uk

Stu also does a drop-in PCB if you don't mind inhaling the odd solder fume.

These also have a built-in buffer that will allow you to place the wah before any fuzz (some fuzz boxes just don't play nicely with wahs). The Teese RMC-4 already suggested is another good option.

If your wah doesn't have an output buffer (and none of them did back in the day), you'll need to run it after the fuzz, especially if your fuzz is of the Fuzz Face/Mk 1.5 variety (including a Vox TB, which is what Ron Asheton used). Otherwise the fuzz will just scream - and not in a good way - when you step on the wah. Problem is, wah actually works better (better range and voice) if it's before the fuzz, so an output buffer can be a really good idea.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:42 am

Nobody likes them, but I strongly recommend the Boss PW-10 v-wah.

Couple of different models of wah, all tweakable for your setup.
a total idiot jackass

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:32 pm

I've had a Hendrix wah since the mid 90's and I've never needed or wanted anything else. Never even tried another wah so I really don't know whether it's good but I always liked the way it sounded. The pot wore out maybe 15 years ago and I got a replacement pot instead of trying a different pedal but otherwise it's been great. I don't use it as much anymore.