Can anyone suggest a good Bass overdrive/distorton pedal?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can anyone suggest a good Bass overdrive/distorton pedal?

Post by elektrovac » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 am

I'd recommend this, but I am biased:

It's basically a transparent OD in parallel with a Triangle Big Muff circuit, both tuned for bass (but switchable for guitar via internal switches) with a clean blend option too. It's a signature model for local Danish bass hero Jakob Jørgensen of Psyched Up Janis fame.

The unique thing is that you can set any balance between drive and fuzz, because they are parallel (side by side) - as opposed to stacked (one running into the other). With the clean mix option too, it's extremely flexible. Goes from subtle edge-of-break-up sounds to crazy massive fuzz.

The pedal is a derivate of the Epic Overdrive which is dedicated to overdrive sounds, and which can also be preset for bass via internal switches.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:01 am

elektrovac wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 am
I'd recommend this, but I am biased:

It's basically a transparent OD in parallel with a Triangle Big Muff circuit, both tuned for bass (but switchable for guitar via internal switches) with a clean blend option too. It's a signature model for local Danish bass hero Jakob Jørgensen of Psyched Up Janis fame.

The unique thing is that you can set any balance between drive and fuzz, because they are parallel (side by side) - as opposed to stacked (one running into the other). With the clean mix option too, it's extremely flexible. Goes from subtle edge-of-break-up sounds to crazy massive fuzz.

The pedal is a derivate of the Epic Overdrive which is dedicated to overdrive sounds, and which can also be preset for bass via internal switches.

I saw Subsonic Why and thought it sounded familiar, then saw Psyched Up Janis, and remembered! I haven’t listened to that song since the Raveonettes broke out, I should put it on today. Was just thinking about what playlist today needed. Thanks for the reminder!

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:41 am

Blimey! There's a ton of ideas in here that I'm desperate to try. Thank you!

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:55 am

I've recommended it on here before, but the Boss ODB-3 is superb. Super gainy, super usable, super detailed. Bass and treble controls, plus a clean blend.

Also sounds immense on guitar (which is what I use it for, mostly).
a total idiot jackass

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:24 am

Megalith
Megalith
Megalith
Megalith

Also the Fairfield Barbershop for lighter OD.

But also Megalith.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:30 am

In the end, I got a really good deal on a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes (£100) so I've gone with that. Just waiting for delivery now. It sounds pretty spot-on for what I'm after.