Octave fuzz recommendations?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Octave fuzz recommendations?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:59 am

I was reading a bit about Fuzz Face/Octave combo pedals (and why there are so few of them) and builders say that the difference between the classic woolly Fuzz Face sound and the biting Octave sound is too big for most people when switching from one to the other. The Fuzz Face needs to be boosted and filtered to accommodate the octave.

It’s easier to build the octave into the fuzz circuit or have 2 independent pedals.

Zvex Octane 3 is a nice octave fuzz that hasn’t been mentioned yet, based on the Ibanez Scrambler, which is in the Super Fuzz family. The Kay Fuzz is another. There are good clones of both out there. None of those are switchable though, the octave is part of the fuzz circuit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:59 pm

The Zvex Octane 3 is my favourite...I remember Zach saying back in the day that he based it on a Shin-Ei Apollo Fuzz-wah, which indeed is in the Superfuzz family. 8)

It is a monstrous pedal...especially if you really know what you're doing around the 12th fret...bending single notes and letting them breathe/ring/blossom...adding secondary strings to create chaos and ring mod effects...it is quite an experience! :-*
Resident Spartan.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:11 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:39 am
What about the Keeley Monterey?... not exactly cheap - but it gives you a blendable octave (knob, no extra switch sadly) and either rotary or wah or vibe to choose from (via mini toggle).
I don’t know how I didn’t discover the Monterey until now. This seems to be a pretty dang good solution.
Would save me a lot of weight and board space. Anybody used one? It kinda seems like a Hendrix version of the EHX Cockfight with extra features.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:27 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:56 pm
Danelectro French Toast. Super cheap, it's literally a Foxx Tone Machine in a wee plastic enclosure. It can be had for around $35, last time I looked.
This is the correct answer.
a total idiot jackass

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:02 am

The French Toast is very, very good indeed!! :-*
Resident Spartan.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:21 am

sessylU wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:27 am
Maggieo wrote:
Danelectro French Toast. Super cheap, it's literally a Foxx Tone Machine in a wee plastic enclosure. It can be had for around $35, last time I looked.
It is a very good fuzz circuit, though not really the right fit, imo, for the original poster's request.
Instagram: thetonyballs

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 am

Zork wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:03 am
What about pairing a Fuzz Face with an EQD Tentacle?
If money is no option, and a single pedal is essential, then search for a used Face Lift as mentioned above.
If money is a concern, a single pedal is essential, and you're a little flexible about the base fuzz, try the Danelectro French Toast. Then if you love it, you can ramp up to a swanker version if you'd like.

If money is flexible, fuzz face is required, and you're willing to use two pedals, then buy a fuzz face of your choosing: there are so very many options for this circuit available at most any price point. Big ones, little ones, round, rectangular, two knobs, extra knobs... I have four fuzz faces myself and prefer the currently-available JH-F1.

Then buy a separate octave. Which octave though? If your "octave" interest is more of a perfectly tracked, clean octave up, I'd recommend the EHX micro POG. If you're more interested with something in line with scronky-scuzzy sounds (a la your Hendrix reference) then I'd recommend a green ringer clone. The EQD Tentacle is a good option, and the Lovepedal Believe is a very popular version, but, like the fuzz face, there are lots available at all price points - I use the "Octave Up" from Chicago Stompworks and thinks it's dandy.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:19 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:21 am
sessylU wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:27 am
Maggieo wrote:
It is a very good fuzz circuit, though not really the right fit, imo, for the original poster's request.
Might not be, but it's cheap and available enough that anyone with a passing interest in octave fuzz should give it a go.
a total idiot jackass

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 pm

Just discovered this one: The Odin by Fjord Fuzz looks and sounds like a very cool switchable octave fuzz. In Foxx Tone Machine territory, but can be dialed back for more of a Fuzz Face sound. I like the single knob layout.

https://fjordfuzz.no/odin-mini-1/

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:04 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I’ve decided I’m gonna give the Keeley Monterey a shot first. Then if I find that I don’t love it I’m going to upgrade to a larger board and power supply and get everything in separate pedals. I’ll let you know how the Keeley works out in a few days.