Ring mod recommendations, please

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Ring mod recommendations, please

Post by Sauerkraut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 am

I sold my Moogerfooger MF-102 recently because it was just too impractical and I really needed money. Moog also discontinued those minifoogers for whatever reason. Are there similarly great ring mods out there that don't cost an arm and a leg?

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ring mod recommendations, please

Post by snarf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:27 am

I use an EHX ring thing. It cost a lot at the time but right now I’m seeing some under 200

https://reverb.com/item/16856180-used-e ... t=16856180

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:34 am

I guess it depends on how "smart" a ring modulator you want. I loved that Mooferfooger you had and I liked that I could set the LFO to sweep the oscillator and make a terror-filled sound, but didn't like that the preamp was always active and because it was so big. I moved on to the old big box EHX Frequency Analyzer but again, really big for something to make noise occasionally. These days I still use the ring mod on my Alesis Bitrman or Ineko for a "dumb" ring modulator, but when I want something that tracks well and does some pretty interesting weird things I go to the Pigtronix Ringmaster. It does some of the LFO'ed madness of the Moogerfooger but tracks really well and does some other interesting things. And relatively inexpensive (at least compared to what you probably just sold that Moogerfooger for).

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:40 am

Thanks for the tips!

Should add that I'm looking for something relatively small. Minifooger size at most.

I agree with you on the always-on preamp on the MF102, bothered me as well, although it is a great sounding preamp. I found the MF-102 is actually a great boost/drive pedal, just way too impractical to use for that. (I actually sold the MF for €300, cause I'm stupid like that)

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:50 am

I have an OG (1st version) big box EHX Frequency analyzer that is the only ring mod I think I ever found very useful. I had the Moogerfooger as well and sold it because it could never do the deep bass sounds of the FA. I imagine the XO series is going to be very close if not the same for not a lot of money.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:22 pm

I would pick up the Fairfield Circuitry Randy’s Revenge if I didn’t already have a Lovetone RingStinger. Just for the tremolo ring mod tones.

Logrinn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Logrinn » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:51 am

I’ve got a Way Huge Ringworm that I highly recommend.
I understand that it’s no longer in production but I’m sure you can find one on Reverb. Expression input, sample-and-hold lfo as well as the ”standard” ringmod are things that it offers.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 am

Thanks for the recommendations!

Been watching demos, and the Randy's Revenge seems the best option. It sounds amazing and seems to do that lovely tremolo and chime thing really well, which I find essential with a ring mod. Not too big, expression pedal out, standard 9v. Perfect!
I'm not in a hurry, so maybe I'll find a decent deal.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:05 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 am
Thanks for the recommendations!

Been watching demos, and the Randy's Revenge seems the best option. It sounds amazing and seems to do that lovely tremolo and chime thing really well, which I find essential with a ring mod. Not too big, expression pedal out, standard 9v. Perfect!
I'm not in a hurry, so maybe I'll find a decent deal.
I have a couple of Fairfield pedals and you really can’t go wrong with any of them. I would probably have the complete set if they were available 10-12 years ago during my peak pedal buying days. They are all well designed and offer some unique tones. I would buy the Randy’s Revenge just for the tremolo tones but it does much more than that in a simple package.

Strango
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Strango » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 am

Thirding the Randy's Revenge. The tremolo is a nice secondary feature, but in general it's a very usable ring mod (much more so than my Gonkulator, although as a Seahawks fan I love the Gonk colors, hah).

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:35 am

I finally got the Randy's Revenge as part of my on-going pedal splurge (got some unexpected tax returns). It sounds every bit as good as the MF-102 I sold, but it's far more practical. It'll fit on my small board easily. What's not to love? Looking forward to trying it in my new Rubberneck's effects loop too. Need to get an expression pedal for this soon to make it even more useful.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:03 am

I’ve had alot of fun with my Pigtronix Ringmaster. You can do alot of fun things with the intelligent setting, like turn it into an octaver or harmonizer. And the sample and hold setting is equally fun. It can do an interesting envelope controlled tremolo as well.

I remember trying out the Way Huge Ringworm in a shop a long time ago, and it was alot of fun as well. Especially the random setting.