Gifting a Big Muff to a friend. Suggestions?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gifting a Big Muff to a friend. Suggestions?

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon May 17, 2021 5:04 am

tune_link wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:46 am
As another Pumpkins obsessive I will say that the Rotten Apple by Keeley seems to sound way too low gain in all the demo vids. The EHX one def hits the mark. I don't know how hard on pedals the person is to the point that they broke three Tone Wicker muffs but I've always found the reissue EHX small enclosure pedals to be pretty dependable.

For boutique though I would also rep both the Hoof and Fuzz War. I still have both of those and love them a lot. You can get them to be close enough to each other in sound at times but the Hoof is a variant of a Russian muff and the Fuzz War is (depending on which version you have and where you're getting info on it) supposedly based on some combo of muff and Tone Bender.
The Rotten Apple sounds good in the Andy @ PGS videos but he makes everything sound good. I don't think the Rotten Apple is The Smashing Pumpkins in a box as a big part of their sound is the overdriven Marshall as well, not just an op-amp big muff

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 am

Shameless self promotion BUUUT...

I'm local to Brooklyn, make my own units that are carried at Main Drag, and can do custom stuff as needed. My standard muff is this one, which is a hybrid of the Rams Head and Russian circuits, but still has the fully scooped sound. I've also got a number of the enclosures un-built and could do something custom under the hood if desired.

http://ballseffects.com/fuzz/big-balls/

Instagram: thetonyballs

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon May 17, 2021 10:45 am

I've got the Op-Amp Muff, and mine is built like a tank, FWIW.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.