I want to see a Boss/Waza Klone

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I want to see a Boss/Waza Klone

Post by Veitchy » Tue May 18, 2021 5:37 pm

Boss have made it clear that they're happy to make non-Boss pedals with the Waza Tone Bender, and I feel it's been shown that the special sauce of Klons isn't solely down to something only Bill Finnegan's can produce. I'd love to see Boss go down a similar road and make their own Klone.

The elements I reckon are key are the 18v internal power, the three distinct signal paths, gain pot is a blend and the treble knob is a cut/shape rather than a straight tone pot. The buffer is also pretty useful too. The EHX Soul Food sounds very good and the Wampler Tumnus sounds really freaking close to a Klon - both use silicon diodes, so magic germanium ones aren't necessarily the key to the sound in my opinion.

If nothing else, I love the idea of a pedal that (hopefully*) sells for a couple of hundred bucks do the same job as something that costa a few thousand. Combine that with it being produced by Boss, one of the most proletarian pedal builders, and I feel like you've got a great hype killer (well, diminisher).

Obviously I don't begrudge Bill Finnegan any success, and If I had the scratch I'd bid on one of those new eBay Klons in a heartbeat. There also isn't anything wrong with any of the klones out there that Boss is going to fix - I just feel like they're emblematic of accessible, working musician's guitar pedals. I also love their housings, and that pebbled texture they occasionally use in silver or gold with an oxblood stomp pad would look rad.

*When I heard that the Waza Bender sold out in a handful of minutes I never bothered to look at what they actually went for. 599 AUD list price holy shit. Hope to not see that happen again.
Last edited by Veitchy on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I want to see a Bozz/Waza Klone

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue May 18, 2021 6:16 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:37 pm
Boss have made it clear that they're happy to make non-Boss pedals with the Waza Tone Bender, and I feel it's been shown that the special sauce of Klons isn't solely down to something only Bill Finnegan's can produce. I'd love to see Boss go down a similar road and make their own Klone.

The elements I reckon are key are the 18v internal power, the three distinct signal paths, gain pot is a blend and the treble knob is a cut/shape rather than a straight tone pot. The buffer is also pretty useful too. The EHX Soul Food sounds very good and the Wampler Tumnus sounds really freaking close to a Klon - both use silicon diodes, so magic germanium ones aren't necessarily the key to the sound in my opinion.

If nothing else, I love the idea of a pedal that (hopefully*) sells for a couple of hundred bucks do the same job as something that costa a few thousand. Combine that with it being produced by Boss, one of the most proletarian pedal builders, and I feel like you've got a great hype killer (well, diminisher).

Obviously I don't begrudge Bill Finnegan any success, and If I had the scratch I'd bid on one of those new eBay Klons in a heartbeat. There also isn't anything wrong with any of the klones out there that Boss is going to fix - I just feel like they're emblematic of accessible, working musician's guitar pedals. I also love their housings, and that pebbled texture they occasionally use in silver or gold with an oxblood stomp pad would look rad.
100% agree. To be honest, my biggest issue with Klons (price aside) is that I'd want one as an on-demand boost-y tone shape-y kinda thing (for something wirier ala the newer Polyphia stuff), with another pedal right next to it for a different flavor (meaner and fatter), and the big-ass Klon box is a bit much for me. Something like the Ceriatone Horsebreaker only gets away with it because it's literally both of those in one, but it's still a bit bit tbh.
*When I heard that the Waza Bender sold out in a handful of minutes I never bothered to look at what they actually went for. 599 AUD list price holy shit. Hope to not see that happen again.
I think on the Bender they had a limited supply of components to actually make them, so if people are gonna buy them to scalp later they might as well make some $$$ as well.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue May 18, 2021 10:14 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:16 pm
I think on the Bender they had a limited supply of components to actually make them, so if people are gonna buy them to scalp later they might as well make some $$$ as well.
That makes a bit more sense. I still feel like it has to be a pretty healthy markup though. I don't even want to look at what they're going for on the secondary market.
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:16 pm
100% agree. To be honest, my biggest issue with Klons (price aside) is that I'd want one as an on-demand boost-y tone shape-y kinda thing (for something wirier ala the newer Polyphia stuff), with another pedal right next to it for a different flavor (meaner and fatter), and the big-ass Klon box is a bit much for me. Something like the Ceriatone Horsebreaker only gets away with it because it's literally both of those in one, but it's still a bit bit tbh.
It's funny you should mention that, because when it comes to K-style drives I like them both as a clean boost and as a drive pedal when they're cranked. To the extent that I've often contemplated getting two and stacking them. I've pondered that Ideally what I'd like are two Klons in the same housing where I can stack them into each other a-la a King of Tone. I'm unfamiliar with the Horsebreaker so I'll give that a look.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:43 am

Veitchy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:14 pm
It's funny you should mention that, because when it comes to K-style drives I like them both as a clean boost and as a drive pedal when they're cranked. To the extent that I've often contemplated getting two and stacking them. I've pondered that Ideally what I'd like are two Klons in the same housing where I can stack them into each other a-la a King of Tone. I'm unfamiliar with the Horsebreaker so I'll give that a look.
That's an awesome idea!! I like that thought a lot. From what I understand it's a pretty simple circuit, I bet you could DIY that pretty easy.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri May 21, 2021 3:58 am

Veitchy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:14 pm
have you seen this?

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sat May 22, 2021 5:33 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:58 am
have you seen this?
You're blowing my mind MechaBulletBill.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat May 22, 2021 9:15 am

Bad Cat does a dual channel Klone too.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat May 22, 2021 9:23 am

Veitchy wrote:
599 AUD list price holy shit. Hope to not see that happen again.
Guat de fack? That's an outrage!
This is an excellent rectangle

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat May 22, 2021 9:37 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:23 am
Veitchy wrote:
Okay with exchange rate 599 AUD maybe gets you like a Big Mac in NYC.

In all seriousness though, these ran $349 US new for a run of 3000 worldwide. Think that's bad? There's currently 4 on Reverb.

The cheap one is two grand

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat May 22, 2021 9:49 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:37 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Veitchy wrote:

In all seriousness though, these ran $349 US new for a run of 3000 worldwide. Think that's bad? There's currently 4 on Reverb.

The cheap one is two grand
YE GODS

STREWTH

FIE
This is an excellent rectangle

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Mon May 24, 2021 7:26 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:37 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Veitchy wrote:
It's funny because it's true.