DBA Super Sonic Fuzz Gun question

Everyone needs a stompbox.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

DBA Super Sonic Fuzz Gun question

Post by tune_link » Tue May 25, 2021 4:47 am

Got a DBA Super Sonic Fuzz Gun a few months back after trying to decide between it and a Fuzz Factory. Having never played either I don't know what to expect as far as volume level goes but compared to pretty much all my other DBA pedals (Micro Harmonic Transformer, Fuzz War, Interstellar Overdriver) the output level seems really low. It reminds me of when I had a DBA Apocalypse and it also seemed to have low output compared to what I would have expected from a DBA design. Is it possible that I've now had two (?!) broken DBA pedals where there's something seriously wrong with the volume level output? I did buy both of them used. Like the Apocalypse I really like what the Super Sonic Fuzz Gun does, but if this is where the volume sits normally I don't think I can handle it and it's gonna have to go. I'm talking severe volume cut compared to any other drive or fuzz I have, not in an inaudible way but in the same manner you'd expect from a notoriously low output box like the MXR Blue Box octave fuzz.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DBA Super Sonic Fuzz Gun question

Post by jorri » Tue May 25, 2021 9:49 am

My apocalypse is not low in volume, except the octave setting, maybe the scooped too- at least one setting IS a fuzz war and the high gain one about double that, so if that is relevant you may have had a broken one

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DBA Super Sonic Fuzz Gun question

Post by MrShake » Tue May 25, 2021 5:01 pm

Wish I could offer advice. With bias at noon, sustain at 2 o'clock, fuzz pretty high, and the filter turned low, it's easily the loudest pedal I own, even next to stuff like a Fender Blender and Torn's Peaker. Great to smash my low-headroom Marshall-style amp, nearly unplayable (for me) on a high-headroom clean amp like my Bassman Ten, because unity is abt half a nudge up from off, at like 7-8 o'clock.

But all my fuzz seems scrunched up at the end of my fuzz knob, so maybe mine's a little wonky, too. Regardless, it sounds real strange to me that you've got significant volume loss, because it's seriously the loudest pedal I own.

Good luck. I hear they have a good warranty plan, maybe get in touch?