Finally acquired: Diamond Memory Lane V1

Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Finally acquired: Diamond Memory Lane V1

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:55 pm

I have been after one of these for years, just never got around to actually making it happen until now. Back when they first came out, I was torn between it and the Moogerfooger MF-104Z. I sold every delay I owned to be able to afford the Moog and I've never looked back. For all these years, it's always been my #1. But I've always thought about those Memory Lanes. I just spotted this green one the other day and knew that it was the one. It was built in early 2006 as a custom. I am really blown away! I had high hopes, but it's exceeded them. It's really what I always wanted a Deluxe Memory Man to be. The tone control on the repeats is a really genius design. When set to increase treble, it actually causes each successive repeat to increase in treble more than the one before. That really caught me off guard. I didn't know that it worked like that. There are some really interesting opportunities based on that. Darkening them gives control over how far back you want it to sit in the mix. I've bought separate delays before just based on differences in the tone of the repeats and where they sat in the mix... having control over that is kind of crazy to me! The modulation has a really wide range. Shimmer to slight tape warble to bent, sick tones... they're all in there. I'm really glad that I finally got this thing! Although the color doesn't fit with my other ones :fp: I have only one more analog delay on my must have list.

The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Finally acquired: Diamond Memory Lane V1

Post by Paco » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:05 pm

That's beautiful! You just can't go wrong with the old puke green, I gotta say I love it :freako:

I didn't know about the memory lane/memory man, are the other versions the same?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:37 pm

Oh, rereading it, I think I worded it ambiguously. These aren’t a Deluxe Memory Man circuit… it’s just the midrange time and modulation that puts it in the same ballpark for me. DMMs are awesome in their own way, I just never loved one for my uses. Buts been a long while since I’ve owned one. I bought this Memory Lane for about half of what a DMM sells for these days. So I am really pleased!

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:01 am

I really loved the one I bought back in the day when it came out, but I sold it some time ago, but almost bought it back when it came up locally a couple of months ago.
I always liked the DMM more than any other delay, and this one did what the DMM did for me, but with tap.
I don't really use delay that much, so I "can't" have a DMM, or DML, taking up that much real estate on a board.
I've ended up with a Chase Bliss Tonal Recall on there, which does what I want from a delay, both with time, modulation and size.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:08 am

I guess you missed out on this custom Pink one?

https://reverb.com/item/8216792-diamon ... stom-pink

Does the EQ act like a band pass? To the left adds bass and shelves treble, and to the right boosts treble and cuts bass? I guess incrementally, where each repeat has more bass cut?

The one thing that most “tape sims” get wrong is that the treble and bass roll off slightly with each repeat. Most just roll off the treble, and too quickly at that. That’s one of the reasons why most don’t sound right to me.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:14 pm

I don't know exactly how they did it. I'll have to read through the manual again. It sounds to me that it isn't just a regular filter on the repeats but more like a feedback loop if that makes any sense. When set to more treble, each repeat actually gets brighter than the one before it. Set in the middle, the repeats decay more like you expect a typical analog delay to do, maybe a little more clear. But as you roll it to the left (bass), they get darker a lot faster.

That pink one was awesome! It looks to have sold for one hell of a great price, too! Even less than I gave for my green one. It was a really early one like mine, which is #37.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:06 pm

Very cool delay collection there, Justin!!!

Looks like the MLV1 is a great addition! 8)
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:28 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:06 pm
Very cool delay collection there, Justin!!!

Looks like the MLV1 is a great addition! 8)
Thanks Yannis!! Delay and fuzz… those are my sounds! I can resist most other effects. Though old school chorus is starting to creep in lately :fp:

I HAVE to get a first version Minifooger Delay and there are a couple others that I would LIKE to have yet. But I think I’m not missing out on anything with what I have right now! This Memory Lane is the first delay in 15 years that has made me consider bumping the old Moog off my board if I could only have one. I’m really grateful that I can use both!! Otherwise it would be mighty tough!