PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pedals for a hammered dulcimer sound

Post by jorri » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:30 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:41 am
timiscott wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:19 am
I had no idea this question was going go in such weird directions... I was kind of hoping for something like: 'Why not not run a tremolo pedal through backwards reverb and a delay?' or, even better: 'Yeah, Joyo's "Third Man" pedal will get you pretty close for ten quid'. That is sooo not what happened!
I actually had not ever paid any attention to the Afterneath pedal, but after listening to Andy demoing a Portishead tune on it. Yeah, you should probably just bite the bullet and get one if that’s the sound you want.

A dulcimer doesn’t really sound like tremolo to me, and neither does the Afterneath. It sounds like a very short delay (60-90ms) with 6-8 repeats into a hall reverb. The repeats have to be at unity level with the straight signal.

Tremolo into delay and reverb sounds great though. You might prefer that for a “spy” sound.

Edit- the old Vox repeater did that staccato delay sound, but you didn’t have control over the delay time, I don’t think. Spacemen 3 used that a lot back in the day. Don’t know if Portishead stole that idea from them, but a quality digital delay should be able to do it as long as you have reverb. I think Portishead was particularly fond of Plate reverb and tape echo.
Yup i think he already had the answer, an Afterneath...a cheaper/multifunction pedal that also does that is EHX hazarai and i remember a video of them demoing 'tremolo'- as in picking tremolo, not the arguably not-tremolo that tremolo pedals do with amplitude modulation. So does the yamaha early reflection patch some setting and things like that, its a crossover as if you also crank the hazarai to fast speed it makes keving shields sounds like the yamaha, or slow it down to hear very clearly defined repeats and use the reverse decay for some arriculation.

As for Portishead i just know it was a heavily treated and probably pitch/time altered marxophone so as for any other FX that get that side of the sound are somewhere in an interview with PH.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 pm

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:10 am

Fantastic! I'm liking the sampled tune a lot! I'm going to have a look at the other pedal suggestions too. I think £200 for one guitar sound I can't use much is pushing it, so alternatives to the Afterneath are definitely worth looking at.