Am I doing my feedback loop properly?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Am I doing my feedback loop properly?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:16 pm

I had a buddy rehouse a Danelectro Trans. Overdrive for me a few years ago and, being an early Devi Ever fan, thought it’d be cool to have him put a switchable loop/feedback loop into the encolsure to enable me to run other effects through it like on Devi’s Truly Beautiful series.

So it worked, sort of. I can definitely put stuff in the loop and get wacky noises, but there’s no control for it and trying to use anything I plug into it as I normally would if it were just a typical effects loop. I dunno if he didn’t wire the in/out/send/return the right way or what, but aside from all that I want to make it work the best I can.

So, I figure all my stereo pedals are at the end of the chain and I think I have this right, but I’d rather not waste anymore time trouble shooting if someone can see it and tell me if I’m fucking up or not. So, what I want to do is just run one of the outs on the last pedal in my chain (a line 6 DL4) into the send of the loop, and then connect the return to the other input of the same pedal, thus essentially putting every one of my pedals into the feedback loop. Am I right here or should I do it in reverse so connect the input of the DL4 to the send and then the output to the return? Or are both approaches wrong and I need to do something else entirely?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Am I doing my feedback loop properly?

Post by Embenny » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 am

Edit: sorry, misread the sentence. Thats what I get for posting before having my coffee.
Last edited by Embenny on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

tatotateman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tatotateman » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:18 am

I'm also editing my post, but I can't think of anything that would make Mechanical Bird's response funnier than it is.

I don't have anything useful to add. Does the line 6 looper have mismatched angry eyebrows for a reason?
Last edited by tatotateman on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Yeah of course it does wtf I’m not some mouth breather failfascist come on

So still, would love to know if I’m doing this right or fucking up

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:02 am

Eyyyooooouuuuummmpppppppp

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Is this just the least used sub forum we have or what holy shit

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:52 pm

I didn’t understand what you said in your description and have no idea from that diagram whether your friend wired that box correctly or not. I’m not even a feedback loop user.

But - I think the output of your delay pedal should go to the return of the looper - and then the send from the looper should go to the input of your delay pedal.

If you already have it set like that and I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Some loopers don’t have controls for mixing the send and returns. Or just have a simple bypass switch. This looks like it has multiples of both, with LEDs, so that would increase the chances that it’s not wired correctly. A simple looper can be built without any of that, wiring direct connections from the send to the input and output to the returns, but then you can’t mix amounts and it’s always on.

Edit: the delay pedal is not running in true stereo in this configuration - at least it should not be - it should be dual/mono. Can the Line 6 do that? Or send a wet/dry signal? You need that functionality to make it work properly. The Eventide Timefactor, Strymon Timeline and a Roland Space Echo can be set to do that, but not sure the Line 6 can.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:32 pm

Yeah my wording was probably confusing

So the circled white box is left to right the dano overdrive.

The jacks on top with the wires drawn to them is the loop - the red light/switch is the old and the blue for the loop

From the loop -/- First pick is the red wire send to the second input of the dl4 and the yellow is return to the second output of said dl4

But I was t sure I’d like, that would just put the delay alone into the loop or my entire board like I’m wanting to do

Second pic is the loop - send to output and return to input

So essentially I just want my whole chain to also be plugged into the loop of that white pedal, so when I’m doing poser noise freak shit I can have access to all the sounds that are already there, but running in and out of and talking to each other, ya know, like a feedback loop is want to do. I just wasn’t sure if I was doing it right or if yeah, that would just put the dl4 alone into the loop or what, and I still don’t know, sadly haha

It’s been like surprisingly impossible for me to find brass tacks directions for this on the internet, it’s dumb as hell

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:34 am

The only addition i can give is buffers can completely disable interest feedback sounds, and it looks like there could be buffered pedals. For a delay you want oscillation that will still work, (a delay just gets delayed more) but for fuzzes to scream or go into odd subharmonic blue box stuff it can kill it in my experience.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:41 am

Really most concerned on how to plug it in the right way, still

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:01 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:41 am
Really most concerned on how to plug it in the right way, still
I re-read, its kind of convoluted.
You are putting one channel of the dl4 in the loop.
So one channel of the dl4 will be in the loop.
Its confusing me why you think it will make the whole board be in the loop, so much that i presumed you meant something else.

Send to first pedal input, return to last pedal output. Thats all you need to do.
?

Although yes with stereo pedals, then you can prob only do with one channel so either output as long as you realise it might be in one ear with those pedals. Maybe it would be fine with a mono input actually, who knows usually thats the first stereo pedal.