DMM longer delay options?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

DMM longer delay options?

Post by jorri » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:33 am

So I've picked up an XO DMM recently and both disappointed and amazed by it sounding perfect in tone, and that it can't really take a place for another delay because its max time must be 350-400ms. Not really 550ms i suppose as the spec, which is a shame because its just for a rhythmic use in a couple of songs where it can't actually get to the required tempo! Just a tad longer- not talking needing seconds of time or anything.

What options are possible? Trimpot? modification? get the tap tempo 1100?
I wouldn't actually mind if it had a touch more dirt as its dead clean, no hint of distortion at all. Bias trimpots are a no-go, i don't have the equipment, but some have a max time trim or a simple component to change whilst sacrificing some cleanness? Does this? Are any other trims adjustable like mod-rate out of curiousity?

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DMM longer delay options?

Post by cestlamort » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 am

So great to hear that you like the DMM. It's one of my favorite pedals (and favorite sounds).

I can't speak specifically to the XO model, but big box ones I've had (and have) aren't close to 500 ms.

I think tracking down the TT-1100 is the only real option for longer delay times in that flavor of analog delay.

Another potential option: The Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe does have a "DMM" option which was good, if I remember right (and its main echoplex thing is excellent).

I've found that other digital models of modulated analog delay (Eventide H9, Line 6 DL4, Boss, the otherwise-excellent Korg SDD-3000, etc.) can be cool but don't have any of the magic.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:54 pm

I think Analogman mods or calibrates the XO to get the 550 its supposed to get.

I have a 550tt and I have an opposite problem. That thing can’t make a clean repeat unless I roll my volume way back on the guitar. I can get well over 1sec of delay time with it though and over taxing the BBD sounds glorious. I’ve also heard people complain that the 1100tt is a little to clean for an analog delay and that it is almost impossible to get the nice BBD degradation.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:32 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 am
Another potential option: The Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe does have a "DMM" option which was good, if I remember right (and its main echoplex thing is excellent).
This would be my recommendation. They're pricey, but there's a lot going on in those boxes.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:18 pm

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:54 pm

I have a 550tt and I have an opposite problem. That thing can’t make a clean repeat unless I roll my volume way back on the guitar. I can get well over 1sec of delay time with it though and over taxing the BBD sounds glorious. I’ve also heard people complain that the 1100tt is a little to clean for an analog delay and that it is almost impossible to get the nice BBD degradation.
Analogman definitely does this. I've considered sending my XO to them (I am at least semi-lucky and have one of the earlier ones with the Panasonic chips, though not really really lucky since it's the 4 rather than 2 chip holy grail type ones). In any case, it's a great pedal and a massive deal compared to big box ones, and iirc Analogman's prices for these jobs are really pretty reasonable given everything.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:36 pm

I have to admit that I was shocked, but the DL4 does a really, really good job of getting the DMM sound. I've A/B-ed with my big box DMM and it the only time it doesn't sound extremely close is with longer delay times, and I think that's just because I'm not used to my DMM having delay times like that.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:38 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:36 pm
I have to admit that I was shocked, but the DL4 does a really, really good job of getting the DMM sound. I've A/B-ed with my big box DMM and it the only time it doesn't sound extremely close is with longer delay times, and I think that's just because I'm not used to my DMM having delay times like that.
any comparison to the Hazarai for example? I have that too and see how its based on it (yes, its called a 'memory man'), lacking vibrato mode yet, but not quite the same- filter at 9 oclock is similar enough live...was considering using that for anything long, then keeping this for studio outboarding. I currently have a Teisco and whilst its DIRT was cool for a bit, along with ridiculous ranges into oscillation and mad ramps of modulation, hearing the DMM next to it is like it sounds like a flat bitcrusher in an extreme way, and like the DMM controls take 1/4 the range of the Teisco's pots ;D - cool but i want 'ambience'.
solfege wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:18 pm
CorporateDisguise wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:54 pm

Analogman definitely does this. I've considered sending my XO to them (I am at least semi-lucky and have one of the earlier ones with the Panasonic chips, though not really really lucky since it's the 4 rather than 2 chip holy grail type ones). In any case, it's a great pedal and a massive deal compared to big box ones, and iirc Analogman's prices for these jobs are really pretty reasonable given everything.
I'd consider that but i'd also wonder if these mods are DIYable. Nonetheless without an oscilloscope probably not. What is stopping a mod like changing the pot's range and coping with a bit of grit though? needing to re-bias?

And yes the DMM is super-clean. Its overload light flashes but seemingly to no detriment to the sound. Its as clean as a digital, pretty much, which is why i think a bit more time won't kill it. it would never be on 'bitcrusher mode' like my Teisco (maybe i could look to tweak that cleaner instead!).

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:39 am

I dunno re: DIY'ing. I have the impression that it's a somewhat complex operation, but that could just be Analogman's marketing. I feel as if there'd be stuff googlable about the mod if it were a DIY friendly thing, though.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 am

To my ears, the Hazarai is most definitely not a Memory Man as we know it. That's why I got rid of mine and kept the DL-4.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Google reveals this pretty good discussion involving both the designer of the DMM and Mike from Analogman. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... nt.554188/

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:55 am

solfege wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 pm
Google reveals this pretty good discussion involving both the designer of the DMM and Mike from Analogman. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... nt.554188/
Thanks. Yes still not much on diy schematics or anything. Thing is being in UK i then have postage+customs back and forth...to a modding person, which now to the EU is just as bad as to US 😐 limiting where i can find one.
Maggieo wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 am
To my ears, the Hazarai is most definitely not a Memory Man as we know it. That's why I got rid of mine and kept the DL-4.
Its never something ive tried to find in it because it does lots of cool stuff that isnt even delay, and if anything the echo mode reminds of a tape delay more than a solid state pedal. mine is used as a verb/looper/ring-mod essentially- but i figure one setting on the 'mod' with the filter is kind of 'ballpark' and stereo. Some songs written on a dr shadow PT chip delay anyway, and feel i might end up some ana-delay collector even though i use verb more 😆 (always the possibility of a Copicat that needs refurb tempting me)
Nonetheless would be cool to have longer DMM. I should find someone in UK.

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Moog delay, but it’s expensive

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Oh, Malekko 600 is great, especially the dark version.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:59 pm

tangent:
Based on this thread (and wanting to try out some looper workflow ideas), I pulled out the old DL-4 our drummer gave me (which he'd picked up when released to loop drum stuff... ah, the early 2000s and limited options..., still in the box w/receipt!) and... it appears to have died in the box in the closet.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Anyone messed with the Universal Audio Starlight? I’m always skeptical of emulated analog delay.