Strymon Zelzah multidimensional phaser

Everyone needs a stompbox.
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Strymon Zelzah multidimensional phaser

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:34 am

Strymon has come out with a new pedal that could satisfy those wanting a phaser and tremolo in the same pedal. (I think I remember a discussion about that this year?)

https://www.Strymon.net/product/zelzah

It has 2 effects: 4-stage and 6-stage phasing that can be used independently or combined for phaser | flanger | chorus | tremolo effects.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Strymon Zelzah multidimensional phaser

Post by Veitchy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:12 pm

They really manage to pack a lot into that form-factor they've settled on. They've got some geniuses over there.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:24 pm

The voice control looks interesting!

So did barbers pole but i expected it to be a phase version of a Shephard Tone Illusion but it sounds like up-ramp repeating and not quite the illusion which i think requires 3 pitches rising out of sync and blending out. (Someone make a whammy type effect with that please) the ilusion supposed to be continuously rising, despite the pitches repeating a slide, like barbers pole.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:21 pm

jorri wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:24 pm

So did barbers pole but i expected it to be a phase version of a Shephard Tone Illusion but it sounds like up-ramp repeating and not quite the illusion which i think requires 3 pitches rising out of sync and blending out. (Someone make a whammy type effect with that please) the ilusion supposed to be continuously rising, despite the pitches repeating a slide, like barbers pole.
Yeah, I gave it a listen and liked a lot of what I heard, but the barber setting seems like a waste to me. Or maybe I was expecting something like the Boss step phaser, but that’s not very useful on guitar either.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:21 pm
jorri wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:24 pm

Yeah, I gave it a listen and liked a lot of what I heard, but the barber setting seems like a waste to me. Or maybe I was expecting something like the Boss step phaser, but that’s not very useful on guitar either.
I wasnt too keen on it, but i liked the rest. The idea of being able to blend the amount of phase vs pitch to get flange or chorus is cool. I just have an interest which is irrelevant to the pedal or even music really, they are called Strange Loops in maths, Barbers Pole in visual, or Shephards Tone in audio. I did a cello arrangement once with some in which was iverly terrifying (a phaser would not be terrifying i think).

https://codepen.io/StevenBerliner/pen/ALvAON

https://codepen.io/StevenBerliner/pen/ALvAON

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 am

Too crispy clean for me, and way too many knobs.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:32 am

I agree.
I listened to a handful of the demos, and it sounded thin and tinny to my ears.
Doesn't seem to have the mid-range grunt that i like in a phaser.