Muff-ish Fuzz?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Muff-ish Fuzz?

Post by Jonesie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:06 am

I actually ended up with the Muffuletta, I know JHS gets some shit, but with a quick test at low volume it sounded pretty great, the Civil War, Triangle and Ram's Head versions especially. I'm excited to try it out later at full volume.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:23 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:03 pm
pardon me, i just think their pedals suck!
How many of them have you played through? The Colorbox is pretty amazing, for instance.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:23 am
MechaBulletBill wrote:
How many of them have you played through? The Colorbox is pretty amazing, for instance.
I've never played through a JHS pedal but I won't support them purely based on Josh's affiliation (and regular donations) to questionable extremist churches. I'm sure they're great pedals but, nah, not for me.

*EDIT: It turns out he no longer donates to the church in question, but has in the past. And that church practices/encourages Gay Conversion Therapy. So, still, nah not for me
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:54 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 pm
Maggieo wrote:
MechaBulletBill wrote:
I've never played through a JHS pedal but I won't support them purely based on Josh's affiliation (and regular donations) to questionable extremist churches. I'm sure they're great pedals but, nah, not for me.

*EDIT: It turns out he no longer donates to the church in question, but has in the past. And that church practices/encourages Gay Conversion Therapy. So, still, nah not for me
IMO, it's all hearsay, hence, humbug. The pedals are great. And I'm queer as fuck. As in I'm a transwoman who identifies as pan-sexual and genderqueer.

And nothing makes me retch like cis men virtue signalling based on TGP speculations and blood feuds.

(That and seeing someone pull the "Josh is a dick, so his pedals suck," every time someone suggests one. God, it's tiresome. If you're queer too, the parentheses are here because this is a general gripe, not directed at any individual.)
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:36 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:54 pm

IMO, it's all hearsay, hence, humbug.
He did, eventually, admit to donating time and money to the church. But was careful to say it was 'personally'. But it's all semantics when JHS money is his money.

Gay conversion therapy aside (and mine and your sexuality/gender which, for me, is something I reserve for private interactions) they have plenty of other shit going on I wouldn't want to knowingly inadvertently fund.

Regardless, I've dragged this off-topic and shouldn't have. Fwiw, I don't frequent TGP and don't subscribe to virtue signalling - I just try and look out for my fellow humans.

"You don't have to be black, Jewish or gay to punch a Nazi" - some dude on the internet, 2019

And now, back to Muff suggestions... I've been through plenty but just ended up using either a Russian black big muff or a cranked Rat.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:05 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:37 am
yeah but then you have a jhs pedal! :-X
Solid. I wouldn't buy their pedals if every other pedalmaker on earth made their pedals out of actual human shit so you had to step in it to turn it on. That guy wants me not to have rights.

He was found to be hiring his staff from that church, even after he'd "cut ties". He's tapdanced around actually making any statements against what that church stands for, or pro-LGBT statements either, for that matter, when pressed to. Fuck him and fuck his company.

As for a decent muffish fuzz, I'm a fan of the dirt cheap Biyang Fuzz Star, $50 or so and, well, a muff with 3 tone settings. And it sounds quite good.
This is an excellent rectangle

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:08 am

Maggieo wrote:
MechaBulletBill wrote:
well my bandmates jhs stuff is always breaking, noisy, and the colourbox is nothing special inside. he's a huge bore and has pretty much killed pedal youtube, add that to the christian weirdness and there's no reason to bother with them

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:58 pm

There are so many EHX Muffs now, one of them should work, right? You can't beat the price point.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Chiming in late, but I picked up the Hizumitas the other day. Went to look at a cheap bass big muff at the store, shot the two out against each other, and really, really dug the EQD pedal. Would recommend. More than enough mids, not a crazy amount of gain (for a muff). Even cleans up better than other muffs (i've owned) when you roll down the volume. Its a good option if you like the Russian muff but think it doesn't quite suit you. Way better than the triangle muff reissue from EHX.

Re: how it Dooms - It gets very bass heavy past 12 o'clock, but you can still get the more typical muff sounds out of it. I find a lot of EQD dirt pedals do that, which is why I usually avoid them on guitar, it can be hard to fit in the mix with a bass player. The dinosaur jr/SP sounds are in there though.

Good score on the JHS. Over the last two years pretty much my entire drive section has become JHS. They make good clones of the pedals I can't find/afford/want to deal with noise/structural issues. Only issue i've had with mine is the Kilt (Expandora clone). It sounds good, but pops every time I step on it, and is fussy about power supplies. Because of that its never been on my board. Great low/medium sounds and fuzz on the forbidden setting. Its going back for warranty work one of these days.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:58 pm
There are so many EHX Muffs now, one of them should work, right? You can't beat the price point.
this. me and my bandmate probably have most of them between the 2 of us. plus you're not giving money to JHS. the affiliation with that church (even if he's not a member anymore) is enough to put me of their pedals for life. i grew up around enough religious folk with extreme views on LGBTQ+ folk to know what these people are like. probably why i never really came out properly until i was away from those people.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:34 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:54 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:58 pm
this. me and my bandmate probably have most of them between the 2 of us. plus you're not giving money to JHS. the affiliation with that church (even if he's not a member anymore) is enough to put me of their pedals for life. i grew up around enough religious folk with extreme views on LGBTQ+ folk to know what these people are like. probably why i never really came out properly until i was away from those people.
When I was closeted, I was part of a church like that (not my choice, but back in the 70s and 80s, all churches were like that, especially in small towns.), so I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone who gets away, you know? But not when I was younger- too much anger in me.

I'm glad you got away from that toxic sitch and are able to lead your true life.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:05 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:08 am
he's a huge bore and has pretty much killed pedal youtube,
I feel like blooze lixx managed that on day one, honestly.
This is an excellent rectangle

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:43 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Maggieo wrote:
MechaBulletBill wrote:

Is that the current reason? Before it was that many were essentially overpriced clones of what smaller pedal-builders designed or even tried to collaborate with him, taken without permission. Who knows...I just find them a bit boring and expensive.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:33 am

jorri wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:43 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Maggieo wrote:

Is that the current reason? Before it was that many were essentially overpriced clones of what smaller pedal-builders designed or even tried to collaborate with him, taken without permission. Who knows...I just find them a bit boring and expensive.
That was my original reason for never trying them, then the rest came out. Guy looks to be an asshole from every angle. I don’t care if some of his pedals sound good. There are better options.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 am

Gavanti wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 am
It's probably worth looking at some of the Stomp Under Foot 4 knob versions. The Mids control pot is really useful for going between playing solo and trying to cut through a mix.
This was my first thought. I have several SUF pedals and have been really happy with them but oddly, I do not have any of the ones with mids knobs. Maybe check out one of the Russian style muffs, like the green russian or the Civil War with mids knobs from SUF?
She/Her