Delightful little discovery with Toneprint today (Flashback2 content)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Delightful little discovery with Toneprint today (Flashback2 content)

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Not sure how many other people would be interested in this, but I stumbled on something cool today with the Toneprint app as it relates to my TC Flashback2.

Some quick background: I got the Flashback2 during a seemingly never-ending Digital Delay Visionquest™ where I attempted to find something that was as intuitive to operate as my long-serving DOD Rubberneck but that took up less board space and had cleaner repeats. I've always liked the sound of the Flashback2's tape and 2290 modes but it's largely been stuck on "home" duty because of one tiny frustrating piece of functionality -- the options available on the subdivisions switch. Tap tempo is pretty essential to how I play these days, and largely because of my longtime use of the Rubberneck I have become accustomed to having a nice 8th note slap going most of the time. For whatever reason (I blame the Edge), the TC only has Quarter, Dotted Eighth, and a combination of the two as listed options on the switch, so I couldn't get that sound. I tried dialing it with the delay time knob but it never sounded quite right. I got a bunch of other digital delays and they either didn't have it (baffling), or doing so was buried in scrolling menu options. It's been driving me up a wall.

Anyhoo, I noticed today that Sweetwater seems to be blowing out the Flashback2 Minis for Black Friday and it made me wonder how you set the subdivisions on those since they don't have a switch at all. Turns out you can do it in Toneprint. The wheels got turning, I booted my own pedal up and lo and behold -- you can set any values you like to the subdivision switch on your custom toneprints, so I quickly threw together my three favorite stock sounds with 4/8/Dotted 8 as the switch values and voila! Proper 8th notes at last.

I suppose the lesson here is read the manual first before you go nuts on Reverb. Just wish I'd known this 4 delay pedals ago :fp:

TL:DR -- You can update the values of the positions on the subdivisions switch on the Flashback2 in Toneprint just like everything else on the pedal.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS