We will rebuild! (aka recovering from multi-fx)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: We will rebuild! (aka recovering from multi-fx)

Post by sal paradise » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:50 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:43 pm
If your budget will stretch to it, the new Boss Space Echo pedal looks mighty fine. Since you mentioned loving delay I doubt it would disappoint in either the analogue or digital spot on your board. Its tap tempo should see you past your aversion to the rate sub-divisions. And if your budget won't stretch, I can imagine some people will have upgraded from their RE-20s, so there might be a fair few of those on the second-hand market.

The Line6 DL4 remains a viable classic after all these years, but takes up a lot of real estate, and might not get along with all power supplies.

+1 on the CE-2w, or the BF-2/3. I really like the Dimension pedals (DC-2/3) too, but they're pricey; I can recommend the Behringer DC-3 clone (CD400 Chorus Space-D) which you might be able to find for substantially less - a very sweet-sounding pedal indeed, though not really a traditional chorus like the CE-2.
I like the idea of using a space echo as analogue delay & reverb, but I think it’s probably too much for my needs. My last verb was a Blue Sky, and I loved that for doing a couple of things really well, easy to dial in.

Never got on with the DL4. I had a Tc Electronic Flashback X4 although now I only really need a simple digital verb and not worried about tap, thinking about flashback mini actually or even the Joyo digital delay. The analogue delay will probably get more use- maybe I should go to a shop & try the RE-202 ;D

EDIT: just remembered that the EHX Oceans 11 had turned my head, that’s on the list for reverb too
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:14 pm

Okay, honestly, I'm not JUST into knockoff pedals, I have nice stuff too, but it just occurred to me to suggest the (yes, I know, I know) Amazon Basics delay for your digital spot.

It's low rent, but it's a rebrand of the Nux/Twinote/Kokko/others, it's got a decent, if not exceptional amount of delay time, a crazy amount of repeats without self-oscillation, and MOST importantly, *it's got a soft-switch tap tempo*. (Edit: I know you're not hunting for that, but damn it's fun to have as a bonus feature in this price range) Just grab whichever brand is cheapest.

You could grab one to fill digital delay basics (no pun intended) while you shop for something fancier.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:18 pm

MrShake wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:14 pm
Okay, honestly, I'm not JUST into knockoff pedals, I have nice stuff too, but it just occurred to me to suggest the (yes, I know, I know) Amazon Basics delay for your digital spot.

It's low rent, but it's a rebrand of the Nux/Twinote/Kokko/others, it's got a decent, if not exceptional amount of delay time, a crazy amount of repeats without self-oscillation, and MOST importantly, *it's got a soft-switch tap tempo*. (Edit: I know you're not hunting for that, but damn it's fun to have as a bonus feature in this price range) Just grab whichever brand is cheapest.

You could grab one to fill digital delay basics (no pun intended) while you shop for something fancier.
I looked into this a while back & they weren’t available in the UK.

Great minds though- I saw a Joyo JF-08 for £20. That is an awesome, straight up digital delay. Tempted.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:20 pm

Things have escalated. Ebay has 70% discount on selling fees so the MS-3 will go up this weekend.

Purchased last night/this morning:
1. Eno BF-2
2. Neunaber Immerse

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:54 pm

I'm a fan of those micro pedals too. Planning on assembling a keyboard micro pedalboard if I ever get a space to set up keyboards I don't have to break down and put away afterwards, that is. :(

Cash Converters and FB marketplace are both good sources of these for prices that are so low that NOT buying them makes no sense.

Great, I've just talked myself into looking for a micro analogue delay, delay of any kind being something I now realise is completely missing from my collection.

Sal - have you thought about adding a looper to your board? Seems like it'd be a shoe-in for a dreampop/shoegaze/ambient set-up.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:45 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:54 pm
I'm a fan of those micro pedals too. Planning on assembling a keyboard micro pedalboard if I ever get a space to set up keyboards I don't have to break down and put away afterwards, that is. :(

Cash Converters and FB marketplace are both good sources of these for prices that are so low that NOT buying them makes no sense.

Great, I've just talked myself into looking for a micro analogue delay, delay of any kind being something I now realise is completely missing from my collection.

Sal - have you thought about adding a looper to your board? Seems like it'd be a shoe-in for a dreampop/shoegaze/ambient set-up.
Do it! In a few days I’ve gone from admiring Jam Pedals to completely reinventing my setup.

Looper: the Flashback X4 had one but the volume seemed super low so never played with it. Oh, and I have an irrational dislike of those acoustic pub players who use loopers to layer up songs. So never really explored the possibilities with them.

My old bands were always pretty heavy with ambient delays & verbs over the top for middle sections, but keen to explore more interesting sonic landscapes with less drive in my older age.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:08 am

I don't want to be a Harley Benton cheerleader, but if you're still after a practical, light pedalboard, I'd consider one of theirs. Their boards are cheaper and better designed than Pedaltrain's stuff. They also offer power supplies with isolated outputs at a good price. I really like this combo, especially since you can fit the power supply underneath (held in place with elastic bands):

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_bent ... ip_50c.htm
https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_bent ... _2_pro.htm

In terms of analogue delay; for people who don't care about exactly copying a Space Echo, but want more versatility and a pedal that doesn't take too much space, I think the Strymon El Cap is still a better option than either the Boss RE-20 or the RE-202. Another fun, versatile analogue delay worth considering is the DOD Rubberneck.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:18 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:08 am
I don't want to be a Harley Benton cheerleader, but if you're still after a practical, light pedalboard, I'd consider one of theirs. Their boards are cheaper and better designed than Pedaltrain's stuff. They also offer power supplies with isolated outputs at a good price. I really like this combo, especially since you can fit the power supply underneath (held in place with elastic bands):

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_bent ... ip_50c.htm
https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_bent ... _2_pro.htm

In terms of analogue delay; for people who don't care about exactly copying a Space Echo, but want more versatility and a pedal that doesn't take too much space, I think the Strymon El Cap is still a better option than either the Boss RE-20 or the RE-202. Another fun, versatile analogue delay worth considering is the DOD Rubberneck.
Those HB things look great value- wish that was around a few years back. I’m set for board & got a Strymon Ojai- running a couple off the TU2 should be fine to get 7 pedals sorted.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:10 am

The Harley Benton power supplies are great! They also have Power Plants with a big fat AC cable instead of an outboard wall wart: Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-10AC Pro

Or the modular one that you can chain multiple devices together if you need more outlets later: Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-1AC Pro Modular

I'm not a particular fan of their guitars and cabs I had but the new series of power supplies is spectacular. There's also one that you can power sag the individual outputs for dying battery stuff.

For actual pedals: may I throw in the EHX Oceans 11 for reverb and the Nano Pulsar for tremolo? And another delay option would be the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Deluxe: An analog delay with modulation, presets, tap tempo, creative delay modes with weird pitch effects and switchable trails. No hands on experience but it's massively interresting and sounds very good in the demoes. I was looking into analog delays myself lately and it's a strong contender.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:50 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:18 pm
I looked into this a while back & they weren’t available in the UK.

Great minds though- I saw a Joyo JF-08 for £20. That is an awesome, straight up digital delay. Tempted.
Ahhh, that's right, that was you in that other thread when I got it, my bad, Sal!

I've never played the Joyo, but when I was wallowing around in the gutter of budget pedals last year I remember people who had it saying good things about it. Probably a solid meat-and-potatoes delay-ay-ay while you get back into modularity.

And I know it's not the same, but my experience with the Stereo Pulsar (XO?) would get me a vote for something in that family.

That's actually while I like the Memory Boy/Toy for ambient stuff, I got the XO Memory Boy and the modulation on it is luscious.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:24 pm

So many great ideas here...subscribed!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:55 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:42 am
I bought a Llama! Managed to grab it for £140, not bad at all.

With existing pedals, here’s where I’m at:

Tu-2
Tone Freak Naked OD
Fredric Effects Green Russian / 90s Rat (choices)
<Tremolo> (eyeing up Fredric West Germany)
Eno BF-2
<Digital Delay> (going budget on this one)
Jam Pedals Llama
Neunaber Immerse

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:42 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:55 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

Tu-2
Tone Freak Naked OD
Eno BF-2
Jam Pedals Llama
Neunaber Immerse
Very nice Sal!! Which version of the Llama did you buy?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:45 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:42 am
sal paradise wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

Tu-2
Tone Freak Naked OD
Eno BF-2
Jam Pedals Llama
Neunaber Immerse
Very nice Sal!! Which version of the Llama did you buy?
The standard mkiii - simple, sounds amazing & has a tap. What more can you ask for

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:07 am

sal paradise wrote:
You're making some GOOD choices!

A Rat into a Green Russian is thick, creamy bliss. Goes together like turkey and Hi-C.

And nice find on the Llama!