What is the OSG Delay Flavor Family of Choice?

Everyone needs a stompbox.

What flavor of delay is your favorite?

Digital
16%
Analog
51%
Tape
29%
Steel Drum
No votes
Oil Can
1%
Other
3%

Total votes: 76

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What is the OSG Delay Flavor Family of Choice?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:52 am

honestly. i love delay and i love every style of delay for different reasons. although, if you told me to pick one delay, i'd probably go with the old blood noise endeavors black fountain. if i remember rightly it's a digital delay that emulates an oil can delay.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:26 am

I admit to not knowing what “steel drum” is, but I use all of the rest about equally for recording, and principally BBD analog for performing

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:37 am

Tape delay is my favorite.
I do not own a tape delay.

I mostly use digital delays that emulate tape delay (either a Hermida/Lovepedal EPH-3 or a Caroline Kilobyte).
I also use the most-excellent analog Malekko Echo 300 Dark and 600 Bright delays sometimes.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:19 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:26 am
I admit to not knowing what “steel drum”
Glad I’m not the only one!

I voted analogue - I have a DOD Rubberneck next to a TC Flashback on the board. I use both but have more fun with the Rubberneck.
All the cheeses....

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:31 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:19 am
øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:26 am
I admit to not knowing what “steel drum”
Glad I’m not the only one!

I voted analogue - I have a DOD Rubberneck next to a TC Flashback on the board. I use both but have more fun with the Rubberneck.
The Binson Echorec.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:26 am

I voted digital, because it's the only option that gives me all three tones I love - crisp digital delay, warm analog delay and warbly tape delay. I use "analog" style tones most of the time, but a digital emulation thereof, so it wouldn't make sense to me to click "analog".

My AxeFX has really fantastic delays and convenient patching/tap tempo functions, so I've felt no need to add a true analog delay into the mix.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:43 am

Ah, magnetic drum (like the Echorec). Got it.

When I hear "steel drum" I think a "large oil barrel" (which admittedly is pretty echoey inside!)

On the subject of tape echo--it doesn't have to be warbly and mid-fi to be good.

Some of my favorite delay comes from using the spare Otari MX5050 at our (Brooklyn) place as an echo machine.

It's as clear and defined as a great digital delay (at least through a few generations of repeats), but it's just a little bit different in vibe. Pitch is true and repeats are not dark (unless you EQ the return).

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:05 pm

With guitar, analog (Asheville ADG-1) or PT2399 (Pladask Taken)

for synths, tape or digital (Korg SE-500, Oto Bim)

If I had a stereo guitar setup I'd be more into fancier delays (including tape emulations) but when it comes to mono in mono out I like simple.

The Dawner Prince Boonar (digital, Echorec emulation) was fantastic for guitar but mine developed a high-pitched whine that drove me up a wall. Waiting on the Boonar Deluxe to try again.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:03 pm

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:26 pm

I had an EP-2 Echoplex forever. I never used it, since basically I never use delay and therefore about 5 years ago I sold it and picked up a Juno 106 with that money.

I’ll say this. Whenever I DID use delay, hells bells did that Echoplex sound fuckin aces. I really miss it in a way but probably make more use of the Juno anyhow.

I have an 80s DMM that I like about 85% as much. I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of that one.

Haven’t messed with many tape echo “emulators” but the ones I have tried seem to get it all goofy and incorrect, they never seem to get the successive high-pass/band-pass or whatever filtering right and just adding vibrato doesn’t make it sound like tape, the fluctuations/warbles are really quite subtle and don’t happen all that much in my experience.

Anyhow, tape please. Or an emulator that doesn’t suck eggs, I’ll bet there are good ones out now. And the DMM is pretty dope too.
"I'm all metric and loving every inch of it"
-Orang Goreng

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:40 pm

I'll preface this with the admission that I actually USE analog the most. Yes, it can do everything that I NEED. BUT, I really love tape the more. There's just something special about it. My only reference for tape however are various Roland units... RE-101 and 201s to be more precise. The way that the delay sits in the mix is just perfect. There's just enough space and degradation to trail off beautifully. Yet still enough clarity and presence to be heard. The gradual speeding up and slowing down when changing settings, the trails of a previous delay springing back to life when the motor is turned back on, random speed fluctuations, etc. All that said, I've had a Moog MF-104Z on my board for like 16 or so years and it's not going anywhere, ever.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:14 pm

They all have their applications, but analog is the one i come back to the most. The Boss Waza is especially amazing - there’s something about the filtering of the repeats that i find extremely satisfying, like biting into food with the perfect texture.

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 am

I have the Moog 104M and the minifooger version. Those are in use 90% of the time. I don’t mind using H9 or HX models here and there as well. Tape delay is on the “to buy” list, but mostly as outboard for recording.

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:33 am

I mostly use delay to create a dreamy wash under what I'm playing (with the mix set very low). So for this use, multi-head is almost like a family. I replaced and analog delay on my board with a Catalinbread Echorec (although it was a tough call, and significantly related to reliability), and a space echo would be another great fit. But I don't feel particular about the specific tone of the magnetic drum emulation, and in a straight delay context I prefer the degradation of bbd chips to tape.

I love them all, tbh. I really like digital delay for playing along with the repeats, but this isn't a part of my typical routine.

side note: I have never loved chorus, but I've been using it a bit more. And I was surprised to find that I prefer digital to analog (surprised because of how much I love analog delay).

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:26 am

cpeck wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 am
I have the Moog 104M and the minifooger version. Those are in use 90% of the time. I don’t mind using H9 or HX models here and there as well. Tape delay is on the “to buy” list, but mostly as outboard for recording.

Ruminating on this a bit this morning — I think I got burned out by delay pedals in the post-rock era. I cannot count how many times I saw bands end a set with one or two (or three!) guitarists twisting the time knob on their delay pedal while the rhythm section crescendoed. Not that it’s bad or anything; just felt completely played out and made me look elsewhere for spatial effects.