Chorus Quest

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Chorus Quest

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri May 05, 2023 2:52 am

I've never been a chorus guy, have mentioned this before, but I've got a couple tones in my head that I want to get at home. I've been on a bit of a quest to find a chorus for myself for a while, and am still looking.

One of you fine folks had recommended for me to try a stereo chorus, as that might make the difference. There are a few new pedals out there (and some that have been out a while that I still haven't a chance to try), but these are the sounds I love:

Beach House - Wild
The chorus-y sound in the verse, first heard around 0:57. I know that Alex is known to use a Roland Jazz Chorus 120.

Death Cab For Cutie - Little Wanderer
Also Ben's chorus sound on Black Sun, El Dorado, and Summer Years (honestly all over both Kintsugi and Thank You For Today). I watched a Rig Rundown video with DCFC where Ben had an MXR Stereo Chorus.

Alex using a Roland Jazz Chorus 120, makes me think that I could likely get a Boss DC-2W (or maybe even a CE-2W with the CE-1 mode) for his tones. Unless I tried to build my own, and as dumb of a reason as it is, I hate the MXR aesthetic. Think I could get either or both of these sounds with a modern Boss chorus?

I've also been looking at:
Beetronics Harmo-chorus (stereo, other cool sounds too) and an EQD Pyramids (even though they're impossible to find due to the fire at the factory that makes the chips for them). Also kind of interested in the EQD Aurelius (as it's simple, but has presets too! Not stereo though).

EDIT: Keep thinking of stuff after I save it :fp: I feel like Ben's chorus is a flanger-feeling chorus. I emailed EQD a few months back for some recommended settings on the Pyramids, which they sent me ;D I'm not usually a flanger guy either, but the Pyramids sounds really good on synths from demos I've heard too.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Chorus Quest

Post by Jonesie » Fri May 05, 2023 6:06 am

I had a Walrus Julia which I thought was pretty nice, then I bought a CE-2W and immediately sold the Julia. The CE-2W does "THE" chorus thing. Highly recommended.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Fri May 05, 2023 6:25 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:52 am
One of you fine folks had recommended for me to try a stereo chorus, as that might make the difference.
FYI the way a chorus pedal works is that it splits a signal into two parallel paths. The first has a vibrato effect applied to it, i.e. an oscillating slight pitch shift up and down. The second is a dry, unaffected signal. When they are recombined the effect is chorus. Stereo choruses simply never recombine the signal and send the vibrato signal to one amp and the dry signal to another, producing in-air blending of the two signals. Because of the acoustic complexities of any given room, the way the signal combines can vary and produce a multitude of dimensions to the sound.
Instagram: thetonyballs

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Fri May 05, 2023 6:28 am

Jonesie wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:06 am
I had a Walrus Julia which I thought was pretty nice, then I bought a CE-2W and immediately sold the Julia. The CE-2W does "THE" chorus thing. Highly recommended.
Yeah CE-2 and Small Clone are the two major chorus effects. I've got a small mass of MN3007/MN3101 BBD/clock pairs sitting around....should probably whip up some CE-2 style choruses at some point.
Instagram: thetonyballs

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri May 05, 2023 7:05 am

I’d vote for a CE-2w before the DC2W if you haven’t used chorus much before. The dimension is more of magic spatial sweetener but the CE2 is pretty much THE chorus sound on so many records and basically the onboard chorus in Roland amps (Not sure about these particular songs but it could be close).
The old Ibanez chorus pedals are nice too (as is the chorus mini). A bit of a different flavor but a good one.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri May 05, 2023 10:12 am

Maybe straying too far from the assignment, but I've really been enjoying the Eventide Tricerachorus (via the H9 – so no dinosaur graphic), and it can do shimmery, swirly, subtle to sublime (to stupid). You can request a free demo of the plugin version, which could be helpful in figuring whether the pedal will work for what you want it to do.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri May 05, 2023 11:37 am

I vote for a CE-2w into DC-2w. Or save yourself a heap of $$$ and pick up an old BF-2 and set the speed and depth to about 9-10 o'clock, manual and res to 0 for a nice smooth, subtle chorus that doesn't scream "EIGHTIES!!!" in your face. Boss Digital Dimension or Behringer equivalent can do a similar sound.

I have also found the MXR Micro Chorus to be a great one-knob option, and a one-knob option is often the best option money can buy. More of a traditional (i.e. thick) chorus sound from this box, but trad is fine and dandy too.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 05, 2023 1:04 pm

Yeah, the CE-2W is a good one.

My other two favorites I’ve tried have been the Jacques Meistersinger and the lowly MXR Analog Chorus. The build quality on the MXR isn’t great and some people complain of volume drop and noise, but sonically it can cover a ton of ground.

The Ibanez/Maxon CS-9 is the early Stone Roses chorus. Always wanted to try one of those.

I don’t feel confident with using chorus tastefully, so I usually go for modulated verb or phaser.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri May 05, 2023 4:36 pm

I should've mentioned above that I've had a few over the years and didn't get along with most. I had an EQD Sea Machine and an early 2000s Ibanez CF7 (the silver Tonelok ones) and didn't really like either. There may have been another as well, but I don't remember. I know that I've never had a Boss chorus, nor stereo. I like the Boss sound better from recordings that I know are Boss choruses, but the trouble with chorus for me is that I like a lot of the sounds recorded, but it's never sounded that good when I've got one of my own...
Jonesie wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:06 am
I'm due for a trip to my local shop. I'll definitely add that to my list then :)

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:25 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:52 am
One of you fine folks had recommended for me to try a stereo chorus, as that might make the difference.
FYI the way a chorus pedal works is that it splits a signal into two parallel paths. The first has a vibrato effect applied to it, i.e. an oscillating slight pitch shift up and down. The second is a dry, unaffected signal. When they are recombined the effect is chorus. Stereo choruses simply never recombine the signal and send the vibrato signal to one amp and the dry signal to another, producing in-air blending of the two signals. Because of the acoustic complexities of any given room, the way the signal combines can vary and produce a multitude of dimensions to the sound.
I've watched a lot of That Pedal Show over the years. Most of that isn't totally new :D But thanks for the good information!!

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:28 am
Yeah CE-2 and Small Clone are the two major chorus effects. I've got a small mass of MN3007/MN3101 BBD/clock pairs sitting around....should probably whip up some CE-2 style choruses at some point.
Ooh...

cestlamort wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:05 am
I’d vote for a CE-2w before the DC2W if you haven’t used chorus much before. The dimension is more of magic spatial sweetener but the CE2 is pretty much THE chorus sound on so many records and basically the onboard chorus in Roland amps (Not sure about these particular songs but it could be close).
The old Ibanez chorus pedals are nice too (as is the chorus mini). A bit of a different flavor but a good one.
I think the draw of the Dimension is that it's not a typical chorus sound, but I will try a CE-2W too. Boss sounds are something I've been curious about and never tried. I do think that it should be close to at least some of what I'm after (early 90s David Gilmour also used a Boss CE (CE-2?) and I love that sound as well).

cestlamort wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:12 am
Maybe straying too far from the assignment, but I've really been enjoying the Eventide Tricerachorus (via the H9 – so no dinosaur graphic), and it can do shimmery, swirly, subtle to sublime (to stupid). You can request a free demo of the plugin version, which could be helpful in figuring whether the pedal will work for what you want it to do.
That's pretty cool. It might've been you who mentioned the Tricerachorus before! I forgot about that one. That's on my list to try too. I like the idea of a pedal that can do a few things too.

One of the sounds I've always loved is how Jessica (Deep Sea Diver) does chorus: she uses an EHX POG2 with the detune all the way up. It's not really chorus, but it sounds great :)

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:37 am
I vote for a CE-2w into DC-2w. Or save yourself a heap of $$$ and pick up an old BF-2 and set the speed and depth to about 9-10 o'clock, manual and res to 0 for a nice smooth, subtle chorus that doesn't scream "EIGHTIES!!!" in your face. Boss Digital Dimension or Behringer equivalent can do a similar sound.

I have also found the MXR Micro Chorus to be a great one-knob option, and a one-knob option is often the best option money can buy. More of a traditional (i.e. thick) chorus sound from this box, but trad is fine and dandy too.
Traditional is fine. I don't feel like it has to be something so off-the-wall and unique, just because. I won't do MXR without rehousing it though. I really do hate their aesthetic (or lack thereof), so I'd have to really like the pedal. I don't even know that I'm avoiding "the 80s!" as a sound. Most of the chorus that I've had and didn't like was a late 90s/early 2000s sterile/cold chorus sound. I could try the BF-2 as well.

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:04 pm
Yeah, the CE-2W is a good one.

My other two favorites I’ve tried have been the Jacques Meistersinger and the lowly MXR Analog Chorus. The build quality on the MXR isn’t great and some people complain of volume drop and noise, but sonically it can cover a ton of ground.

The Ibanez/Maxon CS-9 is the early Stone Roses chorus. Always wanted to try one of those.

I don’t feel confident with using chorus tastefully, so I usually go for modulated verb or phaser.
I feel like the CE-2W should be my first stop :D I wonder if the vintage Ibanez chorus sound is similar to their newer stuff like the CF7 I had. Man, I LOVE phaser. I never thought of it, but some chorus sounds do a phase-y thing. I wonder if I added a dry signal after a split if that could give me some chorus-ish sounds I'd dig...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri May 05, 2023 6:45 pm

I’m a chorus nut. I’ve owned several and the the JC 120s as well. My favorites are the circuits of the 120s and the original CE-1. Followed by a small clone. Then an original CE-2.

Not all boss chorus are created equal. I’d say for your purposes the CE-2w might cover the most ground. But it still doesn’t nail that Small Clone sound which is so awesome. Get both. Small Clones are cheap. Also, that’s a good sound you’re after

I’d stay away from the Beetronics (unless you’re able to try it and it’s great).

It looks like Gibbards from deathcab uses the big yellow MXR chorus. So that’s probably the sound there.

And then again…I’ve been dying to try this:

Pastfx New Division

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri May 05, 2023 7:34 pm

CE-2 has finally given me the chorus sound I’ve chased for years.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri May 05, 2023 9:59 pm

I’m a sucker for none chorus - chorus tones.

Univibe for the phaser-chorus. Detune with modulation. Dimension D. And my old standby, the A/DA Flanger.

For synths the Dimension D and detuned modulation are quite nice, but for that guitar sound I would go with what everyone else is suggesting- Boss CE-2 or Small Clone.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri May 05, 2023 10:11 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:45 pm

And then again…I’ve been dying to try this:

Pastfx New Division
It’s really good. 18v only but way quieter than the original and stereo EHX ones. (Only used on bass so far though).

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat May 06, 2023 12:47 am

I have a few chorus pedals at home and my favourite is actually my old 18v Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus. It's massively oversized and the footswitch will almost certainly die at some point but it sounds great - and cost me less than £20
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat May 06, 2023 4:45 am

Too much CE2 love in this thread for my liking -- don't forget to try the Small Clone too!

I have the Analogman Chorus which is basically a souped up Small Clone and it's an ideal chorus sound. I find the EHX Chorus more appealing than Boss -- wetter, more dark and mysterious sounding. YMMV of course.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS