Shields Blender - Kevin Shields Signature Fender Blender?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Shields Blender - Kevin Shields Signature Fender Blender?

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:03 am

LVC wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:40 am
Two MBV-related gear threads going on simultaneously and not a single vacuum cleaner joke? I'm disappointed.
what's the other one?

Member cpeck sent me a translated version of the Japanese Guitar magazine interview from 2020 and he mentions the first time he recorded something as a kid and it was a freaking vacuum cleaner :-/ Is life just one big fukn meme? I think so.

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:19 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:03 am
what's the other one?
That's the one speculating about a signature guitar
Create art, not content

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:32 am

LVC wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:40 am
Two MBV-related gear threads going on simultaneously and not a single vacuum cleaner joke? I'm disappointed.
I think there was one early on from someone that was not impressed and said the demo sounded like his mum running the vacuum or something?

Edit: I went back to look for it in pages 2-4, but soon realized that the endeavor was just a fucking Smiths song.

sholkham
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sholkham » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:39 am

I'm going to crack open my Henry Hoover and look for a USB stick inside,
holodreck.bandcamp.com

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:58 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:27 am

I had never heard of Burman amps before or any mention from KS that he used one. After a search I found an Allan Holdsworth interview and he liked them. He mentioned they were 50w 2x12 transistor combos, but somehow “they sounded like valves thanks to magical parts.”

A picture was included and they have 2 channels, one with RED knobs. So maybe KS did use a red knob Fender Twin, or maybe he’s just misremembering the Burman?

I was always under the impression it was mostly 2 AC30 and a vintage Marshall, along with a couple of Roger Mayer fuzz pedals (he had the Mongoose and the Octavia along with the Axxis) and the SPX-90.

Edit: while I was walking the dog something occurred to me that Kevin might have mentioned using a red knob amp (Burman) and Fender Twin (‘70s silver panel) in the same sentence and the writer transposed that as meaning a Red Knob Twin?
I've used Burman amps for about 10 or so years, I have a pro series bass head and the GX3 preamp....Ive never heard of or seen a transistor Burman combo, I think thats a false memory.. it was probably a Burman 502 2x12 combo which is tube. Burman were common in studios over here in the UK in the 70's, 80's...super nice, extremely well built, semi boutique tube amps and used GEC gold lion tubes which sounded amazing. My Burman bass head had a quad of GEC gold lion KT77's which are worth more than the amp! I got into them because they were Geordie of Killing Joke's main amp for years and sounded incredible..then literally around the same time I discovered Cocteaus Twins used one for bass...I got offered one for £100 broken.

Also I doubt the burman KS mentioned was 60's..Gregg Burman only hand built speaker cabs in the late 60's..the famous line of amps didn't come out till 1974 or something.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:35 pm

eggwheat wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:58 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:27 am

I had never heard of Burman amps before or any mention from KS that he used one. After a search I found an Allan Holdsworth interview and he liked them. He mentioned they were 50w 2x12 transistor combos, but somehow “they sounded like valves thanks to magical parts.”

A picture was included and they have 2 channels, one with RED knobs. So maybe KS did use a red knob Fender Twin, or maybe he’s just misremembering the Burman?

I was always under the impression it was mostly 2 AC30 and a vintage Marshall, along with a couple of Roger Mayer fuzz pedals (he had the Mongoose and the Octavia along with the Axxis) and the SPX-90.

Edit: while I was walking the dog something occurred to me that Kevin might have mentioned using a red knob amp (Burman) and Fender Twin (‘70s silver panel) in the same sentence and the writer transposed that as meaning a Red Knob Twin?
I've used Burman amps for about 10 or so years, I have a pro series bass head and the GX3 preamp....Ive never heard of or seen a transistor Burman combo, I think thats a false memory.. it was probably a Burman 502 2x12 combo which is tube. Burman were common in studios over here in the UK in the 70's, 80's...super nice, extremely well built, semi boutique tube amps and used GEC gold lion tubes which sounded amazing. My Burman bass head had a quad of GEC gold lion KT77's which are worth more than the amp! I got into them because they were Geordie of Killing Joke's main amp for years and sounded incredible..then literally around the same time I discovered Cocteaus Twins used one for bass...I got offered one for £100 broken.

Also I doubt the burman KS mentioned was 60's..Gregg Burman only hand built speaker cabs in the late 60's..the famous line of amps didn't come out till 1974 or something.
Yeah, I know nothing about them. The Allan Holdsworth article is here: Allan Holdsworth’s amps

And re-reading it; he talks about his Lab5 and Burman amps, but it looks like the transitor amp was something he had custom built by a fellow named Thompson? It’s a wall of text and I must have missed that part? The Burman amp he says was a 501 Pro model.

Also, I think someone mentioned that KS was a big Killing Joke fan, so he would likely gravitate towards an amplifier they used.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:18 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:35 pm
Yeah, I know nothing about them. The Allan Holdsworth article is here: Allan Holdsworth’s amps

And re-reading it; he talks about his Lab5 and Burman amps, but it looks like the transitor amp was something he had custom built by a fellow named Thompson? It’s a wall of text and I must have missed that part? The Burman amp he says was a 501 Pro model.

Also, I think someone mentioned that KS was a big Killing Joke fan, so he would likely gravitate towards an amplifier they used.
Thanks I will check it out...yeh 501 pro is a tube amp.

I don't doubt KS was a killing joke fan, he may have got the inspiration for the chordal downward bend thing as Geordie did the same before him...but by pressing down on the tailpiece of his ES-295.

You hear and also see the twin stereo Burman stacks here :)

Killing joke astoria 1991

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:10 am

So.... no one has played theirs yet?

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:10 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:10 am
So.... no one has played theirs yet?
I have, there was a little bit of a learning curve w/ it but loving it now (fwiw, I’ve owned an OG and Reissue also). It goes far beyond those, it’s just way cooler w/ many more tonal possibilities. Wayyyy more volume than either of the others thankfully, it really comes to life cranked up and with a bit of verb. On some settings it can even approach Micro Synth territory, also reacts well to the guitar’s vol knob. Total keeper, great stuff.

Saintlade
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Saintlade » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:15 am

Apparently rumours of a (relatively) more affordable version might have some weight. Posted in the Jaguar, Jazzmaster & Offset Guitar Facebook Group

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:14 am

Don’t those groups just get their news from this forum anyway?
Is that not just a Ltd one with the purple box shroud removed? I’ve not even opened mine due to being a p.o.s so I could be wrong

mimic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mimic » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:21 pm

I looked at an unboxing video and it seems like the limited box (not the outer sleeve) is purple, so that does seem to be a new run.

A shop just posted one like that on Reverb today (scalped, of course) - hopefully these are widely available at list price soon.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:02 pm

it's not a rumour

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bulrich » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:01 am

Ok. So does anyone has price? Availability? It seems odd that stock would appear in stores without any fanfare on Fender’s end.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:55 am

It's pretty common occurrence for new Fender products to "leak" a few days before the official announcement and PR campaign, so I'd guess that's what's happening here. Fender prefers to have stock in stores before the marketing blitz begins.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars