preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Is the Strymon El Cap v2 “worth it”?

Post by preservation » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:31 pm

Here’s what makes a delay “worth it” in my book:

1.ease of use
2. lush tone

I had an original El Capistan when they came out. I liked it but really didn’t enjoy the concept of secondary functions from knob combos.

I’ve grown to appreciate the tape delay sound a lot more: I even had the Volante for 6mos (I just wasn’t using it too much).

I like that the El Cap v2 has a dedicated reverb knob and draws less power, but does that justify the $150 cost difference on the used market?

I’m trying to decide whether to try it vs the reissued (and smaller) 4-knob Diamond Memory Lane…

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is the Strymon El Cap v2 “worth it”?

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:54 pm

I’d probably think the main new feature is being able to save multiple presets. (Something that always annoyed me about Strymon pedals). I had a v1 a few years back and wanted to like it more than I actually did. Secondary functions aren’t too bad so long as they’re labeled well

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:58 pm

My uses are pretty simple, but I didn’t mind setting the boost level via a secondary function and leaving it alone after that.
I use the elcap live and at practice, and the mljr at home.m, now. You’ll not get me to choose between the two.

But no, I would not pay the extra to upgrade vs the v1. I don’t midi, nor do I need any presets. I’m not great at that kinda thing.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:09 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:54 pm
I’d probably think the main new feature is being able to save multiple presets. (Something that always annoyed me about Strymon pedals). I had a v1 a few years back and wanted to like it more than I actually did. Secondary functions aren’t too bad so long as they’re labeled well
It really made no sense to me to make an all-digital pedal line and then omit the most convenient feature of digital gear, which is presets.

Same with the secondary knob functions. Who cares if you need button combos to access certain sounds if you can save your favourites and then just cycle through with a footswitch? Without presets, its a PITA to go menu/combo button diving to access sounds you like. With presets, it's something you barely ever have to do. You find the sound, you save it, you use it. You only ever have to press that button combo again if you're exploring new sounds again some day.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have a limited number of days when I feel like hunting for new tones, and then a long stretch of days when I feel like simply using the cool tones I've already found.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:14 pm

Embenny wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:09 pm
I don't know about everyone else, but I have a limited number of days when I feel like hunting for new tones, and then a long stretch of days when I feel like simply using the cool tones I've already found.
Oh man, me too. Not that I mind searching for a tone I want, or when something isn't working, but even with pedals with 3-6 knobs, I find what I like, and don't change them that often.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384