Footswitch pop - causes and remedies?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Footswitch pop - causes and remedies?

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:13 pm

Let’s talk about this. I’ve yet to fully understand why some pedals have an audible pop (coming from the amp) when switched on and off while others don’t.

I have some pedals where this improves over a few cycles (static electricity dissipating?). My Demeter Tremulator and J. Rocket Tranquilizer are like this.
My Creation MK 4.23 boost has a mechanical switch and is dead silent.

Boss pedals don’t pop in my experience, but even some others with relay-based soft switches like my Soursound Hundred Dollar Boost and Lehle D. Loop still have a little bit of a blip. Definitely not a pop, but more than just a difference in level/tone.

It seems there are some external factors that contribute as well. My bass board is powered by a Godlyke Power All and daisy chain and I was getting a HORRIBLE pop at a venue recently before the band went on, but once they switched the house music off it went away. Super weird.

Having amp and pedalboard on the same circuit does seem to help with noise, but it doesn’t kill the pop, even when using a regulated power supply.

Anyway, if it isn’t obvious this drives me nuts and I’d love to know more about what causes this and how to mitigate it.

I should add that for me everything is in front of the amp. My bass amp has an effects loop, but I haven’t been using it.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Footswitch pop - causes and remedies?

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:52 pm

Cause: Stray voltage on the switch.

Remedy: Pull down resistors at the in and/or out of your pedal circuit.

http://www.muzique.com/news/pulldown-resistors/
Instagram: thetonyballs

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:02 am

This is the one question I've been saving up for Skip Simmons when I finally get up-to-date on the TAVA podcasts. Great question!
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:52 pm

My pop seems to have something to do with the old reverb tanks. Every pedal that's plugged into it gives a pop. I guess I'd have to install a pulldown resistor in the old tank? I can solder but schematics confuse me sometimes. I don't really get the schematics in link you gave, for example.

I've been searching for a solution for this for some time. If this is the fix, I will put that resistor in every amp.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:38 am

DeathJag wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:02 am
This is the one question I've been saving up for Skip Simmons when I finally get up-to-date on the TAVA podcasts. Great question!
Dr Tony Balls wrote:

My pop seems to have something to do with the old reverb tanks. Every pedal that's plugged into it gives a pop. I guess I'd have to install a pulldown resistor in the old tank? I can solder but schematics confuse me sometimes. I don't really get the schematics in link you gave, for example.

I've been searching for a solution for this for some time. If this is the fix, I will put that resistor in every amp.

1. Skip Simmons, while I think he is very knowledgeable, has a propensity to throw out disiniformation which I find not very helpful from a learning perspective.

2. The original post was about pedals, not amps. Reverb circuits are sensitive and so a popping pedal can manifest itself in sound you hear coming from the reverb tank, but the reverb tank is not related.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:38 am

Can we have an Ask The Doctor video series? :w00t: Pretty please…? 🙏
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:48 am

Thanks, Mr. Balls.

I wish pedal makers were more consistent with doing that.

I’m in a similar boat in that I can solder and make simple stuff when I have clear direction, but I’m not at the point of feeling comfortable doing my own mods, and schematics are mostly baffling to me.

When I’m feeling more flush I might have a few projects for you.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:55 am

sal paradise wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:38 am
Can we have an Ask The Doctor video series? :w00t: Pretty please…? 🙏
Lol absolutely not. Happy to chime in on threads if I have answers to questions, though.

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:48 am
Thanks, Mr. Balls.

I wish pedal makers were more consistent with doing that.

I’m in a similar boat in that I can solder and make simple stuff when I have clear direction, but I’m not at the point of feeling comfortable doing my own mods, and schematics are mostly baffling to me.

When I’m feeling more flush I might have a few projects for you.
Start simple and ask questions and people will always help you out and get you that clear direction that you need!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:05 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:55 am
Start simple and ask questions and people will always help you out and get you that clear direction that you need!
Cool. I won’t rule it out. Maybe I’ll take a look at my Rat clone as that’s pretty simple and not too crowded inside.

My Pigtronix Class A Boost might be another good candidate as it’s cheap and other than the pop I like it.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:21 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:05 am
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:55 am
Cool. I won’t rule it out. Maybe I’ll take a look at my Rat clone as that’s pretty simple and not too crowded inside.

My Pigtronix Class A Boost might be another good candidate as it’s cheap and other than the pop I like it.
Excellent reading for the Rat: https://www.electrosmash.com/proco-rat

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:08 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:38 am
2. The original post was about pedals, not amps. Reverb circuits are sensitive and so a popping pedal can manifest itself in sound you hear coming from the reverb tank, but the reverb tank is not related.
I truly don't understand this answer.

1. True or false: The cause of my pop is not the pedals, rather something in the amp (reverb tank)?

2. Is there a way to distinguish between "pedal pop" and "amp pop?"

3. Are there common causes in amps that cause the pop? If so, what are they?

4. Sorry for the OT, I don't want to start another thread.

5. Should I just put a resistor (where the circuit starts not the jack) in the last pedal before the reverb? (I could try this again but why should I if the problem is in the amp?)

By the way I didn't mention that all of my pops are from tremolo pedals. So the pedal is in bypass most of the time, only coming out at certain key moments.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:23 am

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:08 am
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:38 am
I truly don't understand this answer.

1. True or false: The cause of my pop is not the pedals, rather something in the amp (reverb tank)?

2. Is there a way to distinguish between "pedal pop" and "amp pop?"

3. Are there common causes in amps that cause the pop? If so, what are they?

4. Sorry for the OT, I don't want to start another thread.

5. Should I just put a resistor (where the circuit starts not the jack) in the last pedal before the reverb? (I could try this again but why should I if the problem is in the amp?)

By the way I didn't mention that all of my pops are from tremolo pedals. So the pedal is in bypass most of the time, only coming out at certain key moments.
Im not even sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about effect pedals or amplifier switching pedals?

This?

or This??

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:38 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:23 am
Im not even sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about effect pedals or amplifier switching pedals?
I'm talking about regular tremolo guitar pedals, they all pop. Thank you Doc.

I found this thread that I actually participated in which might be the answer. (I completely forgot about it.)

DC pedal pop from amp

It's box with a .047 cap with a 1m resistor just before the amp. This is super simple and it worked for that guy.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:43 am

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:38 am
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:23 am
I'm talking about regular tremolo guitar pedals, they all pop. Thank you Doc.

I found this thread that I actually participated in which might be the answer. (I completely forgot about it.)

DC pedal pop from amp

It's box with a .047 cap with a 1m resistor just before the amp. This is super simple and it worked for that guy.
There is nothing inherent in a tremolo effect pedal that will cause pop. Its possible that all of the ones you tried lacked pull-down resistors when they needed them. There's no need for an extra in-line box if everything is built proper.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:20 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:21 am
Excellent reading for the Rat: https://www.electrosmash.com/proco-rat
Thanks for sharing, Dr. Balls!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:46 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:

Are pull down resistors designed into the circuits of some builders and not others? Is it common in the industry, or maybe not done at all? I know the sound of a pedal popping, but I never thought about it until reading this thread.